Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Worlds in France with road bike?
Quote | Reply
I know sounds crazy but with all that climbing and curvy downhill wondering if a road bike(perhaps with aero extension) may not be a bad alternative. Aggro downhill riding may spell trouble for some.

Wondering if anyone else had that thought. Especially if someone has ridden the course already.

Maybe Ill just rent a beach cruiser when I get there and shred those hills.
Last edited by: Johnnyfever: Feb 18, 19 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the old Nice race and a tri bike would still be my choice. While many are killing themselves trying to practice their climbing, definitely practice your DOWNHILL skills, as that's where you'll get a lot of value. There were a couple of double switchbacks that were tough, as roads are narrow, but I think you'd appreciate a tri bike as if the course is similar, coming back to the coast at the end staying aero will be huge with the likely headwinds.

I absolutely love Nice, so have a ball! Wish I could find a race to qualify, but not I could afford it. After the race bike over to Monaco.....some teammates did and loved it.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:
I know sounds crazy but with all that climbing and curvy downhill wondering if a road bike(perhaps with aero extension) may not be a bad alternative. Aggro downhill riding may spell trouble for some.

Wondering if anyone else had that thought. Especially if someone has ridden the course already.

Maybe Ill just rent a beach cruiser when I get there and shred those hills.

I did the race last summer and did it on a tri bike. I would to it again that way, but could see the use for a hillclimb bike. Its basicly a 45km straight up climb, and a 35k descent. The first few km's leading up to the mountain and the last few heading back into town are the only flat ones.

However the descent isn't as twisty and turny that you really need a roadbike. I bombed down that mountain like a madman. On the flipside, i did see some crashes happen and it didnt look pretty. Do remember you're on narrow french mountain roads.

Go with what feels most comfortable for you and doesn't bring others in danger. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, all the downhill prep wont mean anything if some dude gets a little too spirited on the downhill and causes you to spill. Im kind of visualizing that right now. No way Im bombing that.

May look like a barney in the lineup if I end up bringing the road but whatever.

Were you on basebar or aero for that downhill btw? Approx how much % b/w the two?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to put you on the spot. BUT!! can you give me three reasons climbing on a road bike is faster or better then a tri bike.

Also on the downhills why a road bike is safer then a tri bike.

just the bikes not the way a they maybe ridden. THE USERS!

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Not to put you on the spot. BUT!! can you give me three reasons climbing on a road bike is faster or better then a tri bike.

try to ask this to pure cyclist :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:

try to ask this to pure cyclist :-)

WHY? WHAT would a PURE CYCLIST SAY!!! ( come back your killing me into the wind)

You don't need to bike up mts aero or descend in aero around corners .
Once you have your hands on the hoods it is the same points of contact and gears are gears etc.

I have ridden my TT bike with PURE roadies and kill the hills. I also lead in aero and ride hoods in pace line. There is no difference.
I also have a road bike and ride it the exact same as a TT bike in power to speed for climbs and Heart rate effort match them.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, good thoughts. My general thoughts:

-Aren't road bikes made more for climbing by the geometry? Maybe not faster but more efficient?

-Lighter, my TT is heavier for sure.

-Handles better on a curvy downhill for 20miles. And certainly more comfortable if you in the drops rather than the base bar. Less jarring for sure.

Feel free to refute my thoughts bc that's just what I have thought over the years.

I highly doubt I will be in no brake aero much on that downhill. There are like zero straight aways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lived on the course and have been cycling on it about 1x/week for the entire year.

I would say that a TT bike will probably be faster (overall) for everybody given the rolling parts.

Make sure that your brakes are in perfect condition. If you don't trust the brakes on your TT bike (I would not on some brands...), don't use it! Disc brakes are a very good option here.

If you come more for pleasure than for racing, a road bike can be a good option for extra comfort and to enjoy some beautiful views on "la CĂ´te d'Azur".

- Antony Costes -
PhD in Biomechanics / Professional Triathlete (9 pro wins)

"If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it."
Lord Kelvin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my wife raced IM France, she debated using her road bike (which she loves), but her tri bike was faster and she was racing for a Kona spot (she got it), so she raced the tri bike. If you don't care too much about going a little faster and you want to feel safer on the descents, then a road bike is a good option. That year another racer crashed and died on the course. If you're going to be scared on a tri bike, then the road bike might be faster for you on the course. I would recommend a shallower front wheel for better control, but that also depends on your weight, handling skills, confidence, etc. The question is to ask yourself what makes YOU fastest on a given course, and confidence with bike handling is really important. The difference is, after all, no more than a few minutes between bikes.

There's also Velo Bleu (the Nice city bike share bikes that are like super heavy beach cruisers – there was at least one guy who raced the entire 112 miles on one!).
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. Yeah, I'm just going there for the croissants. Maybe I bring the road bike and some panniers. 😁
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All up to what you're looking to do but tri bike was still used broadly in 70.3 Nice. Will be interesting to see how this goes... Triathletes and bike skills

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden the WC course and would tell anyone considering a road bike with clip-on aero bars, that there is (most likely) zero time penalty in doing so for all but the top pros and fastest (overall) age-groupers - especially if your TT bike has mechanical bar-end shift levers.

If I were racing, I'd use a road bike with clip-ons and HED Jet Black 4s (aluminum braking surface).

MY logic: lighter bike, better handling, easier to shift when not in the aero bars (which will be often on this course), minimal time loss (for me) on the flat sections, I enjoy this type of course much more while riding my road bike, and I'm too old and lazy to test which bike would actually be faster for me.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the WC course going to be the same as the regular 70.3 course? Thanks!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Is the WC course going to be the same as the regular 70.3 course? Thanks!

I don’t think it’s been officially confirmed but that’s what everyone is assuming for now

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha cool. Racked up my roadie on the trainer to see where Im at on that...
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I've done the old Nice race and a tri bike would still be my choice. While many are killing themselves trying to practice their climbing, definitely practice your DOWNHILL skills, as that's where you'll get a lot of value. There were a couple of double switchbacks that were tough, as roads are narrow, but I think you'd appreciate a tri bike as if the course is similar, coming back to the coast at the end staying aero will be huge with the likely headwinds.

+1

totally true. Tri bike and work on your downhill skills - great opportunity to pass a ton of people on the way back.
I've done the IMFRA and saw many crashes downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds in France with road bike? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

I absolutely love Nice, so have a ball! ...... After the race bike over to Monaco.....some teammates did and loved it.

This^^^!!

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply