Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chefs of LR: Skinning Onions
Quote | Reply
A question for home cooks: I use a lot of onions and peeling the skin drives me bananas. It always sticks. Is there a technique, or a tool, that just grabs it, without wasting the outer layer?
Quote Reply
Re: Chefs of LR: Skinning Onions [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will probably be ridiculed,but I take my big knife cut off both ends, score it once into a wet level, then just peel that layer and the dry layers above with my hands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always just save the outer layer and cut offs in a zip lock in the freezer for stocks. It doesn't make it easier but it avoids waste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I never even thought about not taking off the outer layer. Compost of course.

But I'm waiting for the last word from Windy.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Chefs of LR: Skinning Onions [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Sorry, I never even thought about not taking off the outer layer. Compost of course.

???
Quote Reply
Re: Chefs of LR: Skinning Onions [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks to you and all.

Just checked youtube and even the 'expert' peeler can't get the inner skin off in one. Seems the best way might be to get the tip of a small blade underneath and use that to lever it back. Or source fresher onions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
H- wrote:

???

Hello??? Waiting for your opinion on the topic. Don't have an opinion on onions?

I'm a bit disappointed in Duffy too. The whole crowd really. This is a great topic and we could have had a layered discussion on the subject.

After reading kiki's update, I'm sort of the opinion that peeling the skin of an onion is an OCD activity.

I checked youtube and like the Australian approach to onion skins, which I missed back in the day:

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see your Ozzies and raise you the French:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
windywave wrote:
H- wrote:

???

Hello??? Waiting for your opinion on the topic. Don't have an opinion on onions?

I'm a bit disappointed in Duffy too. The whole crowd really. This is a great topic and we could have had a layered discussion on the subject.

After reading kiki's update, I'm sort of the opinion that peeling the skin of an onion is an OCD activity.

I checked youtube and like the Australian approach to onion skins, which I missed back in the day:

Check out the second post of the thread dumbass

-10/+10 rating for abject idiocy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must have and you on ignore. Silly me.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Must have and you on ignore. Silly me.

I've never understood why people do that. I ignore no one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me neither. I have no idea how I missed your post.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
This will probably be ridiculed,but I take my big knife cut off both ends, score it once into a wet level, then just peel that layer and the dry layers above with my hands
You've lost control of the onion once you cut off both ends. Plus the more of the onion you expose the more tears.

My strategy: cut the onion down the (leaving the ends intact); working with one half, run the blade from the tip down to the middle, just scoring it enough to cut the skin (sometimes I'll take the top layer as well, depends how fresh the onion is). Should be easy to peel at that point.

Then if you're dicing you want to cut lengthwise down the middle; lay one quartered piece flat and make 3-5 cuts (depending on size of onion) from the middle to just before the end. Turn the onion 90 degrees and thinly slice, this should give you nicely diced onion, with very few tears.
Quote Reply