Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Car question
Quote | Reply
The other night I landed at the airport and it was 1 degree F.

My windshield washer fluid must have been frozen.

After a night in my garage it works fine.

Should I be concerned the freezing could have damaged anything?
Quote Reply
Re: Car question [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Shit happens to us in the great white north all the time. I never did anything about it. Though...1F seems too warm for that to happen. Usually I'm good down to about -20F / -25F or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. On occasion, the nozzle will freeze and the fluid will "jam" up and not work. Once you get the car back in the garage, it thaws out and works.

The chances of the fluid actually freezing in the line, expanding, and cracking the line are very, very slim. If that did happen, the line would be split open and you would have no pressure in the fluid line. If it appears to be working fine now, very slim chance you suffered any damage.

What you describe is fairly common occurrence.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Car question [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They topped off the fluid at my service appointment this summer and I wonder if they used watered down fluid? Toyota warrantee service. I’ve lived in CO over 20 years and never had this happen and it’s -20 a lot of ski mornings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will work or it wont, if it split something it will leak.

If its working and not leaking. Dont worry about it, other than to put some winter fluid in there so it wont freeze.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ch_string=windshield #p6850305

The best answer I got was the alcohol evaporated and the remaining water froze making a small plug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
They topped off the fluid at my service appointment this summer and I wonder if they used watered down fluid? Toyota warrantee service. I’ve lived in CO over 20 years and never had this happen and it’s -20 a lot of ski mornings.

If you haven't topped it off since summer, it is possible they used a summer blend and/or the methanol evaporated. With summer blends, the water content is higher and there is less methanol because methanol will evaporate fairly rapidly once you reach 90 deg F. Summer blends will freeze at 0 degree F. However, if they used winter or all weather, the methanol content is much higher and, as a result, evaporates fairly rapidly in the summer. If you use winter blend in the summer and the temp is over 90 degs for several consecutive days, the methanol will evaporate. That usually isn't a problem, but, it could drop to a level that the fluid freezes once you hit 0.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply