Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gym bag
Quote | Reply
Whatā€™s the best gym bag you have had?

I have been using sling bags and they are handy, but canā€™t fit a towel, pull buoy, hand paddles, googles, and gym clothes in the thing.

Usually, Iā€™ll swim, but also do some cardio and mixed weights and/ or a crunches/ push ups/ stretch routine. So, I need to carry stuff for the pool as well as the stuff for in the gym.

No, I would rather not bring a huge Tri bag into the gym like I would bring to a race with my bike helmet and wetsuit and all of that. Gym bag only.
Quote Reply
Re: Gym bag [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if you have one you should definitely be using the Ironman backpack so you can let everyone know youā€™ve done an Ironman (pink)

I use the REI Flash. Super simple, light, and cheap. Chest and waiste strap so I it works great for running or biking to the gym. I also like it for hiking as well.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Gym bag [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Well if you have one you should definitely be using the Ironman backpack so you can let everyone know youā€™ve done an Ironman (pink)

I use the REI Flash. Super simple, light, and cheap. Chest and waiste strap so I it works great for running or biking to the gym. I also like it for hiking as well.

Yeah, I have them. Donā€™t want to be ā€œthat guyā€ with the IM backpack. I donā€™t have an m dot tattoo either. 3x Ironman, funny how that doesnā€™t feel like a mega accomplishment... I suppose knowing there are people that have done many more than me. Regardless, the distance is for me, not to get attention.

So, back to the gym bag- watcha think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got an older Ogio gym bag. Similiar to their full dome or 2xl duffle bags now. Large compartment in the middle. 2 zippered compartments on each end. One side has a liner that goes into the main compartment. For your sneakers. Good sized zippered pockets with 2 mesh pockets in it. One of the end pockets I keep all my toiletries. Zippered pocket has 3 goggles and a good amount of random travel size packets of stuff I don't use too often. In the main compartment I put a change of work clothes, fip flops and a towel. I could squeeze in a pair of paddles if needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ā€œbestā€ one was my old speedo duffel bag I got in the ā€˜80ā€™s. That thing lasted over 10 years of twice-daily workouts and teenager abuse. Unfortunately they donā€™t make it any more.

My current one is a Speedo mesh gear bag. Fits all of my gear (suit, flip flops, cap, goggles, towel, paddles, pull buoy, kickboard) with room for more, plus it has a zippered pocket for phone wallet keys. And everything can dry out easily between sessions. Iā€™ll probably upgrade to the deluxe version, which has backpack straps. I also have a Nike duffel bag, which has been ok, but I donā€™t like the black interior and the padding at the bottom hasnā€™t survived the wash. After a number of washings, the padding has curled up into s ball and is virtually impossible to reposition.

If you insist on having a proper bag, Iā€™d get a speedo teamster backpack. Thatā€™s what all the kids in the local clubs use.

jharris wrote:

I have been using sling bags and they are handy, but canā€™t fit a towel, pull buoy, hand paddles, googles, and gym clothes in the thing.

Usually, Iā€™ll swim, but also do some cardio and mixed weights and/ or a crunches/ push ups/ stretch routine. So, I need to carry stuff for the pool as well as the stuff for in the gym.

No, I would rather not bring a huge Tri bag into the gym like I would bring to a race with my bike helmet and wetsuit and all of that. Gym bag only.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Gym bag [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use two bags. I use the Xterra transition pack. It has a wet dry compartment at the bottom for a wetsuit or wet gym clothes, towels, or swimwear. You can always google the coupon code and itā€™s $50.

I use a separate bag for swim equipment. I use IM swim bags from Steelhead and Muncie. Theyā€™re excellent, spacious bags that hold everything you would need for the pool. Tyr and Speedo also make similar bags.

Iā€™m not sure why youā€™re hung up on using IM bags? Iā€™ve gotten a bunch of sling bags that I use for a quick set of change of clothes for Wednesday Night Worlds. I paid a lot to do those races so I owe it to myself to get a little value from the stuff I paid for with my entry fee. It could say Stupidman and I would use it if it was functional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a speedo swim bag: Speedo Deluxe Ventilator Mesh Equipment Bag, Blazing Yellow, 1SZ https://www.amazon.com/..._api_i_IkUvCb666TKQP

And a cheap duffle: Fila Sprinter 19" Sport Duffel Bag, Teal/Purple https://www.amazon.com/..._api_i_llUvCb4G5SH4M

This is easy because if Iā€™m only doing a run or a swim I can only bring one smaller bag vs a larger bag that could be mostly empty if it only has running kit and run shoes.

It also fits in locker easier with two smaller bags as I can hang the speedo on a hook and the duffle on bottom of locker.
Quote Reply
Re: Gym bag [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks dude. Just ordered a Speedo Teamster bag.

Hoping itā€™s awesome. Lots of positive reviews online.

Thank you for the suggestion!

JasoninHalifax wrote:
My ā€œbestā€ one was my old speedo duffel bag I got in the ā€˜80ā€™s. That thing lasted over 10 years of twice-daily workouts and teenager abuse. Unfortunately they donā€™t make it any more.

My current one is a Speedo mesh gear bag. Fits all of my gear (suit, flip flops, cap, goggles, towel, paddles, pull buoy, kickboard) with room for more, plus it has a zippered pocket for phone wallet keys. And everything can dry out easily between sessions. Iā€™ll probably upgrade to the deluxe version, which has backpack straps. I also have a Nike duffel bag, which has been ok, but I donā€™t like the black interior and the padding at the bottom hasnā€™t survived the wash. After a number of washings, the padding has curled up into s ball and is virtually impossible to reposition.

If you insist on having a proper bag, Iā€™d get a speedo teamster backpack. Thatā€™s what all the kids in the local clubs use.

jharris wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Teamster Bag looks sweet. The pineapple print one is fun and unique. I still think the Xterra Bag might be better although Iā€™m biased. It has a separate zippered wet/dry compartment specifically meant to carry a wetsuit. Itā€™s good for those TT wetsuit swims a week before an event. As well, the drawstring top is nice for easy access. I hope you enjoy the new bag! Iā€™m sure youā€™ll like it.

jharris wrote:

JasoninHalifax wrote:

jharris wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Gym bag [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems that I am always on a never-ending quest to find the "perfect" gym bag.

I work-out in the morning before heading to the office, and like to always have my swim stuff with me every day. So the bag needs to have some room, but not too much. Tight lockers and then winter months with dress clothes and a coat in the locker make a tight fit

For years I was using the Ogio 9 Endurance 9.0 Duffel, which had many pockets and a perfect separate wet/dry bottom compartment where I kept my swim gear out of sight/mind. Thought it was a little too big but carried what I needed. Eventuality the strap broke and never replaced it. (I don't believe the 7.0 has the separate wet/dry compartment)

Then the last few years it has been the FocusGear Ultimate Gym Bag 1.0 and then recently (due to the zippers breaking) the 2.0. This one is just a "little" too small for everything but it only $25

I don't want a backpack. Don't want a oversize triathlon transition bag with helmet loops, and a dozen different water bottle holders, etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought Wirecutter's recommendation for the best gym bag. So far, I like it. Lots of pockets, waterproof end section for wet towel/suit, not huge. It's not the best materials and construction I've had, but it's not too bad and it's really affordable.
Quote Reply
Re: Gym bag [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nilloc wrote:
I recently bought Wirecutter's recommendation for the best gym bag. So far, I like it. Lots of pockets, waterproof end section for wet towel/suit, not huge. It's not the best materials and construction I've had, but it's not too bad and it's really affordable.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

JasoninHalifax wrote:

jharris wrote:

I just upgraded to the deluxe mesh bag. Bonus feature that I didnā€™t realize, the main pocket has 2 compartments so I can keep shampoo $ deodorant on one side and spare suit goggles and cap on the other. Damp suit goggles and cap all fit in an outside mesh pocket.

I think it was C$18 on Amazon.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply