Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice for a treadmill rookie
Quote | Reply
Can I get some really basic treadmill running advice? It's been about 15 years since I've been on one, but we're having a 'snow event' right now and I don't really want to skip the 27 miles I have planned over the next three days. The gravel trails are probably not too slick, but the mill might be the better bet.

So...I think we're supposed to use 1 or 2% incline? Is that right? And what about speed/distance? Same pace as I would be running outside? Is the treadmill easier/harder?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a treadmill rookie [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ll hear different opinions on the incline recommendation. Most say 1% but some research says unless you are running at a quicker pace it’s not really necessary.

https://www.runnersworld.com/...dmill-running-myths/

Personally I do a good bit of my running the mill and have found that my mill correlates pretty well to on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incline only really matters when you're running faster than like an 8min mile so it mimics the natural air resistance, so if you want to mix it up and throw in some "hills" for flavor, go for it.

Treadmills will make your IT bands and hip flexors tight and cranky, so spend extra time taking care of them.

Rely more on effort rather than what the treadmill screen tells you, because some can be wildly uncalibrated. If you have a watch with an indoor run feature (or a footpod), go by that more than the treadmill if you're unfamiliar with the equipment.

Netflix is your friend.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Can I get some really basic treadmill running advice? It's been about 15 years since I've been on one, but we're having a 'snow event' right now and I don't really want to skip the 27 miles I have planned over the next three days. The gravel trails are probably not too slick, but the mill might be the better bet.

So...I think we're supposed to use 1 or 2% incline? Is that right? And what about speed/distance? Same pace as I would be running outside? Is the treadmill easier/harder?

Thanks.

I use a footpod to monitor pace. My TM is horribly inaccurate at running pace. I adjust my TM incline to get the same HR as I get at the same pace outside. For me, on my TM, at my pace that's 2-2.5*.

Everything else should be the same indoors vs. outdoors. I use a big fan to stay cool...unless I'm specifically trying to induce a little heat stress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should just set it to your pace and try holding it before putting it on incline. Since you’re not used to it, you’ll find it fast but awkward. It will probably feel very fast but just hold pace. If it’s too easy, increase the speed and hold it through your entire workout. You can also do varying speeds or intervals, hill repeats, etc. There are really limitless options.

CCF wrote:

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a treadmill rookie [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Treadmills will make your IT bands and hip flexors tight and cranky, so spend extra time taking care of them.

Why would that be?

I have a very long history with both...but, have never had issues with them on the TM. Heavily Crowned roads, and steep descents sure....but, nothing on the TM, ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a treadmill rookie [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it has to due with consistent altered gait on the TM. With roads and trails you get varying levels of proprioreception that fine-tune your muscles and balance because your stride is just naturally variable, but the absolute repetitive stride basically in a "vacuum" can cause overwear issues.

Or something. But when I'm running more on mine in the winter, I do notice a significant tightening in my hips. Spending 5 extra minutes of dynamic stretching and foam rolling make it go away.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I have a very long history with both...but, have never had issues with them on the TM. Heavily Crowned roads, and steep descents sure....but, nothing on the TM, ever.

Oh yeah, crowned roads are the worst.

Thanks all for the advice!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm....interesting. I generally only use the TM for short easy runs when I'm really fatigued and don't want to be tempted to get frisky and "run up the hill" and whatnot. I also use it to get in an extra run as part of the 100/100 thing. So, its pretty rare that I might go more than 24 hours with TM runs only, and NOT do something out on the road.

The last time I trained mostly exclusively on the TM was in 2003.

Maybe that's why I don't have any experience with aforementioned injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet that's a lot of it. I don't have the luxury this time of year to be productive outside on long runs (13+ miles) due to weather and polar vortices and nonsense my body won't otherwise put up with. I can and have done 20 on the devil's wheel before, without wanting to stab myself. But it comes with a price of sterile, repetitive motion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll get more repetitive stress (IT band, e.g.) injuries on a treadmill because the speed and footstrike tend to be the same over and over, where the real world would make you subtly vary those factors.

To compensate, I run a mile at 0 incline, then the next mile at 1.5-2%, then back to 0, changing it up every mile. I haven't had any orthopedic problems doing this, with runs up to 20 miles (summer runs when it's over 90 degrees, or thunderstorms).

And yes, Netflix.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been running on a treadmill a lot this winter and I have noticed my hip flexors, IT band and piriformis have been killer tight. Truth to this. Just roll and roll some more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you use to read your footpod?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a treadmill rookie [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My garmin watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I've always noticed my Garmin saying I've run quite a bit further than the treadmills. Normally my Garmin says I've run .5 to .7 mile more for every 5 miles compared to the treadmill. I wasn't sure what was more accurate since we we are not outside to pick up a satellite and distance. I've defaulted to the treadmill distance. But adding the footpod feedback to the Garmin watch makes more sense to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a treadmill rookie [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as you use a footpod, and not the internal garmin watch accelerometer. The watch by itself is easily fooled by subtle changes in armswing. I can go from 8 mpm to 6mpm just by aggressively swinging my arms without touching the speed control on the TM.

A real footpod largely solves that problem though. I use a standard garmin footpod.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I up the incline to 1% for just distance, tempo speed work. Obviously changes if I'm doing hill work.

I don't modify distance or effort going from road to treadmill, BUT not all treadmills will read the same distance and they won't match up if you have a watch that can track the run indoors.

A foot pod helps to be more accurate.
In may case, I go with what my foot pod distance and speed is unless it screws up running me at 3 min/mile.
It tends to get less accurate in speed intervals.

Worst case I calibrate the workout to the treadmill distance if the watch gives me something completely inaccurate.

Most of my workouts are based on time duration aside from long runs, so how far isn't as critical.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this McMillan video hit the highpoints:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bACCHg4AQmA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found for me and my treadmill set-up that 2.5-3% seems to replicate outdoor conditions. Then I use a website to determine pace at that grade such as https://www.hillrunner.com/...ll-pace-conversions/
Quote Reply