Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How fast do we run? (part 2)
Quote | Reply
I made a couple of charts from the 100/100 Run Challenge data (2/11/19). The paces of the runners changed very little overall since 12/31, in spite of significant individual changes. The median pace (9:13) and the pace at the top 10 percent (7:59) changed by less than one second.

I made a second chart this time, the average pace vs. the average run distance. I expected to see a strong correlation of short-distance runners running faster, but I was completely backwards. The faster you run, the farther you run. Or vice versa.

Here is a summary of the second chart:
6:00-6:59 runners averaged 7.6 miles per run
7:00-7:59 runners averaged 6.4 miles per run
8:00-8:59 runners averaged 5.3 miles per run
9:00-9:59 runners averaged 4.5 miles per run
10:00-10:59 runners averaged 4.2 miles per run
11:00-11:59 runners averaged 3.8 miles per run
12:00+ runners averaged 3.6 miles per run

Quote Reply
Re: How fast do we run? (part 2) [xpda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting insights. I do have to wonder how much the average run length is skewed downwards by how the 100/100 challenge incentives shorter 30min runs which will pull down the average miles per run and is causing some of the spread in your data.. I know for myself, I've intentionally split up runs into shorter chucks just so that I could get 2 in a day, Guys like bluestack who are running massive milage in 30 minute chunks even more so.

I suspect that if you looked total miles run or miles per week/day (all pretty much the same thing), you'll see the same thing that all of the other studies say. The more you run, the faster you run.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do we run? (part 2) [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering that too. But the runs shorter than 30 minutes are omitted, which would counterbalance that a little. You can definitely see the concentration of data points at the bottom near 30 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's also a data quality issue; my run data comes from my garmin accelerometer which isn't necessarily what my treadmill is saying. At the moment it's trending a faster pace than the TM but a couple of weeks ago it was trending slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting (but nigh impossible) to account for surface - while some are running on treadmills or dry roads, some of us have been hammered with snow & ice this winter, and the stupid ones like me are going out and running iced-up, snowy technical trails. Even if I weren't slow as hell to begin with, I'm sure not setting any PRs on this:

The Australians, on the other hand, may be dealing with heat issues in high summer.

Quote | Reply
I'd be interest in weekly volume vs pace. Im doing mostly short runs (4 Ish), but I'm averaging 40-45 mpw (10-11 runs) and am in the 8:10 pace range.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 11, 19 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do we run? (part 2) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a chart for that. I think the data isn't great for this because there are a lot of people who didn't stick with the program. For example, there are 89 people with 2-5 runs. (I omitted the single-run people.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, who are the 3 running >55MPW at a sub 7 average?
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do we run? (part 2) [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4, jmaley, and fartleker, who also happen to have the fastest 3 average paces in the challenge. Impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xpda wrote:
....I expected to see a strong correlation of short-distance runners running faster, but I was completely backwards. The faster you run, the farther you run. Or vice versa.

Here is a summary of the second chart:
6:00-6:59 runners averaged 7.6 miles per run
7:00-7:59 runners averaged 6.4 miles per run
8:00-8:59 runners averaged 5.3 miles per run
9:00-9:59 runners averaged 4.5 miles per run
10:00-10:59 runners averaged 4.2 miles per run
11:00-11:59 runners averaged 3.8 miles per run
12:00+ runners averaged 3.6 miles per run

If you look at in terms of time spent running rather than distance, this may be more intuitive.
Faster runners obviously cover more distance for a similar run time.
I've taken the median pace for each of the ranges you listed above and multiplied that by average distance to get a representative total run time by pace range:

6:00-6:59 runners = 49.4mins
7:00-7:59 runners = 48mins
8:00-8:59 runners = 45.05mins
9:00-9:59 runners = 42.75mins
10:00-10:59 runners = 44.1mins
11:00-11:59 runners = 43.7mins

So faster runners are spending a little longer running but only ~15% further than the group running the shortest time which are the medium speed guys.
Quote Reply