Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were
Quote | Reply
I'm beginning to think Virginia's governor Ralph "Coonman Blackface Klansman" Northam isn't as smart as he's supposed to be, given that he successfully made it through medical school. He couldn't have had a worse week after a medical school yearbook photo of him in either blackface or a Klansman's robe and hood emerged, right? Wrong-o.

Northam, being interviewed by CBS's Gayle King:

"Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam: "We are now at the 400-year anniversary — just 90 miles from here in 1619, the first indentured servants from Africa landed on our shores..."@GayleKing: "Also known as slavery" https://cbsn.ws/2teZXFy"

I guess a guy nicknamed "Coonman" might naturally look at slaves in America as being "indentured servants," but Jesus... how tone-deaf and racism-filled are you if you really believe that? And I would say he really needs to get the hell out of office but who do you replace him with? The lieutenant governor, who's recently been accused of sexual assault (including rape) by two women? Or the next-in-line guy, the state's attorney general, who's also copped to accidental exposure to black shoe polish on his face? Yeesh...

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, wouldn't it fall to the speaker of the house who is gasp.. Republican? We can't have that now can we?
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Well, wouldn't it fall to the speaker of the house who is gasp.. Republican? We can't have that now can we?

Yeah, but didn't that guy end up winning his district by a coin toss or something? How screwed up is Virginia these days? It didn't used to be that way when I was living there back in the day (or, at least, all the nonsense never made the papers...). It had a nice, normal level of insanity back then. Heh.

Eh, this is what you get when you basically have the voter-rich (and Democrat-rich) Beltway area of the Old Dominion picking everyone when it comes to the top leadership positions. And the GOP Stupid Party in Virginia is... stupid. No way around that, either.

Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
I'm beginning to think Virginia's governor Ralph "Coonman Blackface Klansman" Northam isn't as smart as he's supposed to be, given that he successfully made it through medical school. He couldn't have had a worse week after a medical school yearbook photo of him in either blackface or a Klansman's robe and hood emerged, right? Wrong-o.

"Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam: "We are now at the 400-year anniversary — just 90 miles from here in 1619, the first indentured servants from Africa landed on our shores..."@GayleKing: "Also known as slavery" https://cbsn.ws/2teZXFy"

I guess a guy nicknamed "Coonman" might naturally look at slaves in America as being "indentured servants," but Jesus... how tone-deaf and racism-filled are you if you really believe that? And I would say he really needs to get the hell out of office but who do you replace him with? The lieutenant governor, who's recently been accused of sexual assault (including rape) by two women? Or the next-in-line guy, the state's attorney general, who's also copped to accidental exposure to black shoe polish on his face? Yeesh...

Historically, he may be correct in 1619 300 Blacks came from Africa as indentured servants to join the 4000 white indentured servants. But it gradually changed into full ownership of Blacks over a few decades.
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Historically, he may be correct in 1619 300 Blacks came from Africa as indentured servants to join the 4000 white indentured servants. But it gradually changed into full ownership of Blacks over a few decades.

Yeah I was wondering if he was getting into some historical weeds with this or it was just a slip up.
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
patf wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Yeah I was wondering if he was getting into some historical weeds with this or it was just a slip up.

Well, I hope it was historical weeds, because the alternative is just fucked up. Maybe he was so gobsmacked by King's rejoinder that he neglected to mention he meant the indentured segment.

Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was historical weeds he really should've predicated his statement with that fact. Accurate or not he just made his hole a little deeper.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
If it was historical weeds he really should've predicated his statement with that fact. Accurate or not he just made his hole a little deeper.

Just like that guy who used the word "niggard," Northam failed to appreciate the ignorance level and quick-to-overreact tendency of the American public.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

Yeah sometimes it's better to be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
mck414 wrote:

So he goes from clueless to clued in. That is good. He did say that he was schooling himself up on all things racial and slavery. But like his almost reenactment of his moonwalk skillset, he continues to step in it.

Judgement skills lacking. Suppose that is in his next schooling up session.
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
mck414 wrote:

So he goes from clueless to clued in. That is good. He did say that he was schooling himself up on all things racial and slavery. But like his almost reenactment of his moonwalk skillset, he continues to step in it.

Judgement skills lacking. Suppose that is in his next schooling up session.

Just to be clear I was just wondering. I have no idea if he is correct or not about whatever group he is referring to being indentured servants as opposed to slaves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

BK, you are a fake news purveyor today.

To say the first slaves came in 1619 would have been incorrect. See this article about indentured servants on the RACIST PBS WEBSITE. Gayle King is simply wrong. According to the racist PBS website, "it wasn't slavery."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 1619 600 black Africans shipped to Va to join 4000 whites as indentured servants.
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
In 1619 600 black Africans shipped to Va to join 4000 whites as indentured servants.

And after their indenture was complete, they and their descendants went on to free & happy lives in the US south?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

BK, you are a fake news purveyor today.

To say the first slaves came in 1619 would have been incorrect. See this article about indentured servants on the RACIST PBS WEBSITE. Gayle King is simply wrong. According to the racist PBS website, "it wasn't slavery."

All I know is from reading that first page of that website. Seems like a bit of gray area? Says there were no laws in place for slavery so they were treated as indentured servants per the law. Kind of leaves open the question of how they ended up in VA? Did they sign on as indentured servants like the whites or via some other means?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether or not his statement is historically accurate is kind of beside the point. This guy is clearly not good at managing his public image. He’s pretty damn good at digging a hole though.
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
gofigure wrote:

And after their indenture was complete, they and their descendants went on to free & happy lives in the US south?

Interesting question. Per the PBS article, some indentured servants got freedom, though indentured servitude could turn into de facto slavery. I'd recon that odds for africans was lower than for whites. Indeed, per this wiki article (under Colonial America section) black indentured servants were declared slaves by Va courts even before the 1661 Va slavery law. Ironically, in one case, the "owner" of the court declared "slave" was an African indentured servant who got freedom.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
gofigure wrote:

Actually, yes, until the cost of having indentured servants rose, and slavery became a better economic option (for the slaveholders, of course):

Quote:

Servants typically worked four to seven years in exchange for passage, room, board, lodging and freedom dues. While the life of an indentured servant was harsh and restrictive, it wasn't slavery. There were laws that protected some of their rights. But their life was not an easy one, and the punishments meted out to people who wronged were harsher than those for non-servants. An indentured servant's contract could be extended as punishment for breaking a law, such as running away, or in the case of female servants, becoming pregnant.

For those that survived the work and received their freedom package, many historians argue that they were better off than those new immigrants who came freely to the country. Their contract may have included at least 25 acres of land, a year's worth of corn, arms, a cow and new clothes. Some servants did rise to become part of the colonial elite, but for the majority of indentured servants that survived the treacherous journey by sea and the harsh conditions of life in the New World, satisfaction was a modest life as a freeman in a burgeoning colonial economy.

In 1619 the first black Africans came to Virginia. With no slave laws in place, they were initially treated as indentured servants, and given the same opportunities for freedom dues as whites.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Feb 11, 19 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Whether or not his statement is historically accurate is kind of beside the point. This guy is clearly not good at managing his public image. He’s pretty damn good at digging a hole though.

This is the 400th anniversary of indentured servants coming to Virginia, and before slavery. What should he have said, if not the truth as he said it? Should he have assumed the ignorance of those, apparently like Big Kahuna, who immediately demonstrated their ignorance instead of looking it up, and said something about slavery that didn't pertain to said 400th anniversary?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of Marge Schott, former Reds owner, who was nice said that Hitler was good in the beginning. Historically correct but tone deaf.
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
Reminds me of Marge Schott, former Reds owner, who was nice said that Hitler was good in the beginning. Historically correct but tone deaf.

There's a name I haven't thought of in 20 years. Howard Stern use to do some funny bits portraying her as a clueless hyper racist.
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

This is the 400th anniversary of indentured servants coming to Virginia, and before slavery. What should he have said, if not the truth as he said it? Should he have assumed the ignorance of those, apparently like Big Kahuna, who immediately demonstrated their ignorance instead of looking it up, and said something about slavery that didn't pertain to said 400th anniversary?

Are you kidding me? Of course he should have assumed an ignorant, il-informed audience and clarified/delineated.
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paraphrasing the saying, the definition of misspeaking is to accidentally tell an uncomfortable truth.

Seems the Governor simply misspoke. He must correct it immediately to conform with our ill-informed opinions.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Paraphrasing the saying, the definition of misspeaking is to accidentally tell an uncomfortable truth.

Seems the Governor simply misspoke. He must correct it immediately to conform with our ill-informed opinions.

You all are assuming he misspoke or that he was getting down into the historical weeds, when we have no evidence or proof of that, as yet. If he is, I'm sure his handlers are going to rush out a statement saying that that was exactly what he meant. Until then, we all will make our assumptions according to what we believe about Governor Blackface Klansman.

His interviewer, Ms King,also apparently never got the memo, because she had to correct him on his characterization of Africans brought here as being indentured servants. This was something he did not correct, as far as I know from reading the transcript. Did he?

Whether King was historically, 100% accurate, in accord with the high standards we here in the Lavender Room perpetuate at all times, I'm not sure.

Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I'm not sure that is entirely true.

Virginia's first Africans arrived at Point Comfort, on the James River, late in August 1619. There, "20. and odd Negroes" from the English ship White Lion were sold in exchange for food and some were transported to Jamestown, where they were sold again, likely into slavery. Historians have long believed these Africans to have come to Virginia from the Caribbean, but Spanish records suggest they had been captured in a Spanish-controlled area of West Central Africa.

https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Virginia_s_First_Africans

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply

Prev Next