Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Haunted computer – tech help needed
Quote | Reply
 A friend gave me a used Windows machine. I have been using it to run trainer road and Netflix for about three months.

Since I started using it, Netflix has been randomly pausing or skipping forward or backward. (This is not a buffering issue). This can happen 10 or 20 times in an hour.

As well, randomly, new browser windows will open, the start menu will open, or I will be kicked to my home screen with Netflix and TrainerRoad running in the background.

Trainer road runs generally OK, but I do experience drop outs now and then. I have never experienced dropouts with any of my other computers.

The only peripherals plugged into the machine are an optical mouse, a keyboard, and the Garmin dongle.

I have tried adjusting power management settings, running without the mouse and keyboard plugged in, and using different browsers. Nothing has helped. It is super annoying. It is as if a child is randomly moving and clicking the mouse.

I don’t really know where to begin troubleshooting this issue.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Last edited by: The Guardian: Feb 7, 19 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Haunted computer – tech help needed [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
diskpart and start with a fresh OS install.

Have you tried running any type of malware detection tool?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck's suggestion is solid. If you only use this for entertainment (i.e. no work / banking) a lighter sweep may work.

Run a windows Chkdsk utility.
Install and run CCleaner (free)
Install and run Malwarebytes Free
Do a free online scan with one of the major players (trendmicro, eset, bitdefender, etc.)
Uninstall web browser and all extensions and re-install.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have a trackpad? If so, clean it, or disable it. It kind of sounds like it's generating random clicks around the screen. It might be the keyboard or a few keys also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest scented candles to ward off the evil spirits. I've found the ones at Bath and Body Works to be the most successful.
Quote Reply
Re: Haunted computer – tech help needed [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmcconne wrote:
I suggest scented candles to ward off the evil spirits. I've found the ones at Bath and Body Works to be the most successful.

That's a solid suggestion for sure. But for maximum benefit, I'd include healing crystals as well--specifically Eye Agate and Black Tourmaline to ward off evil spirits. Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Haunted computer – tech help needed [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's Windows 10 it will allow you to do a system restore from the login screen. Right click the power icon on the bottom right corner. Follow the prompts.
Quote Reply
Re: Haunted computer – tech help needed [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Does it have a trackpad? If so, clean it, or disable it. It kind of sounds like it's generating random clicks around the screen. It might be the keyboard or a few keys also.

+1

When the keyboard starts to go weird things happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Haunted computer – tech help needed [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
efernand wrote:

+1

+2

(But always have anti-virus and all that stuff in place anyway)
Quote Reply
Re: Haunted computer – tech help needed [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

I'd also replace the mechanical hard drive with an 128 GB SSD for $30, if you are technically savvy.
Lag might be attributable to hard drive issues trying to catch up with the OS.
With no large data requirements, an SSD is the way to go.

[ The sign of intelligence is you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life. - Vasudev ]
Quote Reply
Re: Haunted computer – tech help needed [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
DJRed wrote:
efernand wrote:

+1

+2

(But always have anti-virus and all that stuff in place anyway)
+3
I've seen mice especially do this... random clicks around the screen.

Reimaging the PC wouldn't be a bad idea... but it will not fix a faulty peripheal.
Quote Reply
Re: Haunted computer – tech help needed [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
planetsbr wrote:
mck414 wrote:

I'd also replace the mechanical hard drive with an 128 GB SSD for $30, if you are technically savvy.
Lag might be attributable to hard drive issues trying to catch up with the OS.
With no large data requirements, an SSD is the way to go.

Newegg is selling a 120 GB SSD for $19.99 right now, and a 240 GB SSD for $28.99. I installed a 500 GB SSD in a computer I build last year and it was pretty easy to install in a desktop computer. I haven't worked on a laptop so I cannot say how that would go.
Quote Reply