Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How many spam calls do you get a day?
Quote | Reply
Over the last couple of years the number of spam calls to my cell phone has increased drastically. I used to not get too many spammers, but now I get around 2-3 a day (on top of the 5-10 I get to my house phone).

Just curious how many other spam calls people get a day. I also feel really bad for the telemarketers. That is a job that has to suck.
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Over the last couple of years the number of spam calls to my cell phone has increased drastically. I used to not get too many spammers, but now I get around 2-3 a day (on top of the 5-10 I get to my house phone).

Just curious how many other spam calls people get a day. I also feel really bad for the telemarketers. That is a job that has to suck.

I'm at 6 - 10 a day on my cell phone. I actually dropped the home phone for just this reason. I liked having it there just in case but there were always a half dozen or so spam messages and that was the only thing coming through there.

I don't feel bad for them at all. In fact I have made it my life's work to make them feel worse. I figure I can help encourage them to find a new line of work.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe 1 a week. We put our home land line number on some do not call list over a decade ago and that dramatically decreased the spam calls. I have no idea how or if that could follow us to our cell phone numbers but I don't have an issue with it. When I get one if I answer it, there's always seems to be a delay of a few seconds before anyone starts talking. I've almost always hung up by then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cell - @ 2
work - @ 6-10
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Maybe 1 a week. We put our home land line number on some do not call list over a decade ago and that dramatically decreased the spam calls. I have no idea how or if that could follow us to our cell phone numbers but I don't have an issue with it. When I get one if I answer it, there's always seems to be a delay of a few seconds before anyone starts talking. I've almost always hung up by then.

That only seems to increase the number i get. Some days i get 0 and some days i get 8 or 9. But if i answer one, i seem to get a few within the next hour.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

That only seems to increase the number i get. Some days i get 0 and some days i get 8 or 9. But if i answer one, i seem to get a few within the next hour.

Yeah I have no idea how it works. I've never seen an increase in volume and it would be noticeable because like I said I rarely get them. Even at work I probably get less than 1 a week and most of those are headhunters for my specific profession.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:

I used to get a lot, but I registered by cell number on the FCC no call list, and also make a habit of blocking a number as soon as I hang up on the spam call. That has cut it down to about 2-3 a week or so.

Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:

We ditched the landline years ago, so that's not been an issue. Cellphone-wise, I get about 1 daily on my personal phone (spoofed, with what appears to be a local area code-type number, and I never answer calls unless I know who's calling or it's clearly identified as a business with which I'm familiar). My company phone, surprisingly, gets a few a week, always from some "Ann Arbor" number that never leaves a voicemail (but it's an iPhone, so I block the number every time... hopefully, they'll get tired of the game sooner or later). My wife gets several a week on her personal phone and they never leave a voicemail, either. Her other phone's government-issued. None on that one.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get about 5 to 10 per day on my cell and 2 to 3 on my home phone. We never answer the home phone unless we know who is calling and now that my youngest daughter is at the age where she'll be getting her own cell phone we'll likely ditch the landline for good. All our numbers are registered on whatever Do Not Call lists there are and it doesn't help.

My cell is a work phone and the calls to that are the most annoying because many of them are spoofed numbers so that they look like they are coming from another person at the company. They have the same area code and first three digits as my own number. Every time I get a spam call on my phone I block that number, but it seems like they never call from the same number twice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get a ton of robocallers, between 0-8 or so a day. The Hiya app helped to drastically cut the number down, but when I forget to open the app and refresh it for a couple of weeks the amount of calls goes way back up. I’m tempted to set my phone so 100% of calls from people not in my contacts automatically get sent to voicemail.
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I get a ton of robocallers, between 0-8 or so a day. The Hiya app helped to drastically cut the number down, but when I forget to open the app and refresh it for a couple of weeks the amount of calls goes way back up. I’m tempted to set my phone so 100% of calls from people not in my contacts automatically get sent to voicemail.

The downside of our technology and open society age, for sure. And it's 100-percent baby-backed bullshit. In that regard, I like the EU's whole "right to be unknown" or "right to be forgotten" (or left alone) thing they have going over there, though Big Tech (Google, etc.) hate it.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(spoofed, with what appears to be a local area code-type number,

I get lots of those which I was ignoring but now the spammers are showing legit company names (e.g. my health insurance) as the caller. My most common spam is from some kind of electric utility scam.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get a couple a week.

Unfortunately I have to answer any phone call that comes to my cell phone since I have a lot of out-of-town business. Funny enough, if I get a call with my local area and prefix - I know it is most likely a spammer. If it is out of state, it is most likely business.

We unplugged our landline and will be discontinuing service because all we get on it are telemarketers and politicians. I'm not sure which one I hate the most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only use cell...so far 3 today...this year once I identify they are spam, I am blocking.
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
I only use cell...so far 3 today...this year once I identify they are spam, I am blocking.

Blocking doesn't help, they never call from the same number.

I sold my car about 5 months ago and I get at least 5 calls a week to extend the warranty. I don't even own the car anymore. A few times I have gone along with them just to waste their time, it's unbelievable how excited they start to get when they think they have a fish on the line.

Their is no way to beat them. Not now anyway. We can send them to voicemail or whatever, but the computer doesn't care, it just dials the next number on the list.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:

Sounds about right, although my cell phone calls some days go up to 4. Really pisses me off that they have my cell phone.

I am on the Do Not Call registry and I have installed an app to at least alert me of suspected SPAM. It works most, but not all of the time.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Correct. Answering the phone, even if you immediately hang up, demonstrates that your number is a live number that has someone answering it. That 'feeds the algorithm' that is making the robocalls, so to speak.

It's useful to me that my cell phone still has a Minneapolis area code even though I've lived on the East Coast for well over a decade. The spoofers that try to use Minnesota area codes to get me to pick actually make it pretty easy to ID the spam calls and leave them unanswered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get 2-4 on my cell most days. None on my work line so far (knock on wood).
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

Sounds about right, although my cell phone calls some days go up to 4. Really pisses me off that they have my cell phone.

I am on the Do Not Call registry and I have installed an app to at least alert me of suspected SPAM. It works most, but not all of the time.

What app do you use?
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Correct. Answering the phone, even if you immediately hang up, demonstrates that your number is a live number that has someone answering it. That 'feeds the algorithm' that is making the robocalls, so to speak.

It's useful to me that my cell phone still has a Minneapolis area code even though I've lived on the East Coast for well over a decade. The spoofers that try to use Minnesota area codes to get me to pick actually make it pretty easy to ID the spam calls and leave them unanswered.

Funny, i live in minneapolis but go to the east coast nearly every month. I notice that since i started spending a lot of time in new york, i get a ton of spam calls from nyc and nj. I assume they access locations to spoof numbers. Or maybe my contact list? Perhaps one of my apps shared that info but i usually try to limit those permissions on apps.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
wimsey wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Funny, i live in minneapolis but go to the east coast nearly every month. I notice that since i started spending a lot of time in new york, i get a ton of spam calls from nyc and nj. I assume they access locations to spoof numbers. Or maybe my contact list? Perhaps one of my apps shared that info but i usually try to limit those permissions on apps.

Interesting. Almost all of the spam I get is from MN numbers (consistent with my cell phone number), not location based. Doesn't mean there aren't different variants out there that work off locations though - I just haven't into that particular brand of annoyance yet.
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
JSA wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

What app do you use?

Call Protect. Mine works with AT&T, but, I believe they have versions for Verizon, etc.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get 2-5 per day.

Quote:
A few times I have gone along with them just to waste their time, it's unbelievable how excited they start to get when they think they have a fish on the line.

I try to do this whenever I have time. If more people did, it would make robo calling less profitable.

I think robo calling should be made a felony and more effort made to nab and jail these crooks who are stealing time from people.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: How many spam calls do you get a day? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

+1
If I see a SE Michigan number, I know it's spam. Eastern MA, Rhode Island? Might be legit. Going to voice mail anyway ;)
I'll get some spoofed with my PH# area code and exchange number, 100% VOIP number in that case.
Or if I get Detroit calls, but the number comes up a +11313-###-####, the country code gives it away as an international call spoofing a Detroit number
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost zero on my cell.

Work is another story. 6 a day is not u usual. I’ve been told my google listing has expired, or something of this nature. I’ve noticed the caller ID changes. I’ve been told the telemarketers have gotten more sophisticate and the way the do not call registery works, when we block calls it is from any one number, not from one organization. Is this true?
Quote Reply

Prev Next