Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Informal Poll: How and How Often are you Washing your Tri/Cycling Kit?
Quote | Reply
Just as the title states.

Generally I’ll wear my cycling kit two days in a row and then put it aside. At the end of the week I’ll take three pairs of kit (bibs/jerseys) and wash them in cold water with just a bit of detergent and then I’ll hang-dry.
Quote Reply
Re: Informal Poll: How and How Often are you Washing your Tri/Cycling Kit? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wash mine after each usage. If I don't I tend to get saddle sores.
Quote Reply
Re: Informal Poll: How and How Often are you Washing your Tri/Cycling Kit? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wash mine when they can stand up on their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wash my bibs immediately after every single ride. Jersey, socks, etc. I will wait to wash with a bigger load but I won't ever re-wear dirty clothes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After every wear. There's a ton of bacteria and grossness that hangs out in sweat-laden clothing that shouldn't be going back on your person.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm astounded that anyone would try to get more than one use out of bibs, jerseys, or tri suits. Mine go in a mesh laundry hamper after every use and into the washing machine as needed.
I will usually wear leg warmers and arm warmers more than once, unless I overheat and sweat. Jackets also get worn a few times unless I get rained on or dirty from wet roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never wear bibs more than once, I let them dry out after a ride and when all of my preferred bibs are dirty I put them in a laundry bag and do a load of laundry. Hang dry afterward for bibs and jerseys.

If I need to do laundry for some other reason I'll toss whatever bibs are dirty in the bag and wash it all at the same time. So once or twice a week is usually plenty for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ur gross. Wear once. I also gentle-wash, then air dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes well now I'm just a dirty person. I only have 2 pairs of bike shorts and will probably wear them each 2 or 3 times before I wash them. I only very occasionally get saddle sores and I usually chalk that up to 8-12 hours on the trainer each week...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, I didn't think this was optional. I wash everything after every use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're talking about the garment that sits tight against my sweaty nuts for hours at a time, right? They get washed after every single wearing, even if it was just an easy 60 minute spin. Get yourself some cheap training bibs at the Performance going out of business sale or something, because what you're doing is a recipe for some nasty saddle sores down there that you'll attribute to a bad saddle or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Immediately get out of it, and never wear again until it's been washed. I have about 4 kits I cycle through so when they're all worn I do laundry - just them. Wash once with oxi and detergent on quick cycle. Wash 2nd time with pod, auto-soak, long cycle. Dry on low heat. Been doing it this way for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear bottoms twice before setting aside and tops once (although I hang dry after each use)....I then wash the group every 2 weeks ( and have a large enough rotation that not everything is used in that two week block too)
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 11, 19 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike: Major wash before each A race so 2-3 times per season. Clean drivetrain and wipedown before all other races.

Kit: After every race. By hand in cold water with laundry detergent, hang dry.

CG
Last edited by: CeeGee90: Feb 11, 19 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang dry after wear unless going immediately into wash. Wear once then wash. When I commuted I wore them 2x -- once there and once back.
Quote Reply
Re: Informal Poll: How and How Often are you Washing your Tri/Cycling Kit? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes well now I'm just a dirty person
---

Not only do most of us do regular laundry, but we also take showers when our workouts are done. Some of us even use deodorant.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Informal Poll: How and How Often are you Washing your Tri/Cycling Kit? [CeeGee90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do any of you guys every soak your kit in soda crystals after use?

I wash after every use - gentle wash with liquid detergent only.

P.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our family of 4 does one load of laundry per day. 2 kid athletes and 2 parents that workout daily adds up quickly.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Informal Poll: How and How Often are you Washing your Tri/Cycling Kit? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
every time..
Quote Reply
Re: Informal Poll: How and How Often are you Washing your Tri/Cycling Kit? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a lazy guy, but I wash my kit right after I use them.
Otherwise, it's not easy to get rid of smell and stains.
Besides, kits are not cheap and if you take care of them well, they last longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Informal Poll: How and How Often are you Washing your Tri/Cycling Kit? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I wash mine when they can stand up on their own.

I wait until they are strong enough to wash themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Just as the title states.

Generally I’ll wear my cycling kit two days in a row and then put it aside. At the end of the week I’ll take three pairs of kit (bibs/jerseys) and wash them in cold water with just a bit of detergent and then I’ll hang-dry.

Gross....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Shameless plug for a good product) I wash after every use - air dry bike shorts. Found a great powder from Canada called "Sport Suds". Only requires a tiny amount (tsp.?) per load so easy to store rather than a gallon of liquid or huge box of cold water powder. Available on Amazon. (I realized after using this product that the makers of the major brands obviously make their product much larger in volume than needed to make you think you're getting a lot for your money. I'm shocked, do you hear? Shocked!)
PS: They also make a great product to get rid of "washer stink" that many machines get
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep mine on and clean them as I strip down in the shower. This is pretty much just a rinse and a wring as I shower. The chamois does get soaped and then rinsed with a wring. Then I hang them to dry in the car until I get home. If they are still wet at home, I'll use a spin cycle followed by low heat dryer or hang dry.

Once a month, I do wash everything that's been worn in the last month with a soap for performance wear. Pretty happy with this routine.

Past mistakes made:

Not rinsing, wringing and hanging right away. That really brought the stink on.

Washing too much. Swimwear in particular comes apart at the seams when I wash it. My other gear can also suffer from too much machine washing.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Informal Poll: How and How Often are you Washing your Tri/Cycling Kit? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
I keep mine on and clean them as I strip down in the shower. This is pretty much just a rinse and a wring as I shower. The chamois does get soaped and then rinsed with a wring. Then I hang them to dry in the car until I get home. If they are still wet at home, I'll use a spin cycle followed by low heat dryer or hang dry.

Once a month, I do wash everything that's been worn in the last month with a soap for performance wear. Pretty happy with this routine.

Past mistakes made:

Not rinsing, wringing and hanging right away. That really brought the stink on.

Washing too much. Swimwear in particular comes apart at the seams when I wash it. My other gear can also suffer from too much machine washing.

Oohhh that’s a nifty hack. I like it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next