Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So my dad died twice today. (he's doing fine now).
Quote | Reply
The exec summary is that he flatlined twice in the hospital and they had to break out the paddles to resuscitate him. He's recovering, now.

He had two stints put in maybe 7-8 years ago, and then suffered a major heart attack a couple of years ago. Last night he checked in for heart symptoms and they found another blockage and put in another stint. While recovering his heart went nuts and at some point stopped. He's scheduled for pace maker surgery.

He just turned 71 and other than being overweight (BMI of 31), diabetic, and his heart problems, his pretty able bodied. He has, unfortunately eaten horribly his whole life and I would characterize as a pretty high stress person (serious PTSD from Vietnam). I've pretty much been expecting that at some point he'll be fine one day, and gone the next.

Getting old sucks. We've hit a wave of funerals recently. In the last three years I lost 6 aunts and uncles and a grandparent. My wife lost an uncle and two grandparents in the last 7, plus my grandfather's girlfriend.

Just been on my mind today, though it doesn't compare to what jkca1 is going through. He can have some of my feels.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: So my dad died twice today. (he's doing fine now). [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hope the pacemaker works...

My FIL went in 2 weeks ago and didn't make it out... RIP @ 84.. he lived a good life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the best to your dad

I'm sitting in a hospital hospice room with my grandmother. They gave her 5 days. We're on day 2 now. Life is funny sometimes. Just when we think the end is near they recover.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a tough day for the LR family. My thoughts are with your father for his speed recovery.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pop turns 79 next month and is in pretty good health. When he was in his late 60's he said, I hope i live to about 75. After he hit 75 he said, I'm going for 90.

Hope everything works out for your dad.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking of you and your dad.

I hope the new hardware helps!

Does he remember being shocked?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad is finally really showing his age. And it is obvious he is feeling it too, from the things he says. My mom passed 10 years ago. It is a very tough thing to watch.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your dad, hopefully:

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
The exec summary is that he flatlined twice in the hospital and they had to break out the paddles to resuscitate him. He's recovering, now.

He had two stints put in maybe 7-8 years ago, and then suffered a major heart attack a couple of years ago. Last night he checked in for heart symptoms and they found another blockage and put in another stint. While recovering his heart went nuts and at some point stopped. He's scheduled for pace maker surgery.

He just turned 71 and other than being overweight (BMI of 31), diabetic, and his heart problems, his pretty able bodied. He has, unfortunately eaten horribly his whole life and I would characterize as a pretty high stress person (serious PTSD from Vietnam). I've pretty much been expecting that at some point he'll be fine one day, and gone the next.

Getting old sucks. We've hit a wave of funerals recently. In the last three years I lost 6 aunts and uncles and a grandparent. My wife lost an uncle and two grandparents in the last 7, plus my grandfather's girlfriend.

Just been on my mind today, though it doesn't compare to what jkca1 is going through. He can have some of my feels.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, and you have my sincerest wishes for your father's speedy recovery, which I'm sure the new stent and addition of a pacemaker is going to address just fine. As you say; getting old sucks and there's no way to eliminate aging. Slowing it down and adjusting to it (and reducing its long-term effects), yes. But it's still a journey everyone must make. I'm sure your father is glad you're there with him to help him along the way.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: So my dad died twice today. (he's doing fine now). [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope you Father heals up quick. My FIL is a ww2 vet who has had heart issues for years. His goal was to make it to my wife's graduation... that was 20 plus years ago. Despite various 'cardiac' events and 4 stints 6 years ago he is still going in his 90s although slowing down a lot. Hopefully your Dad recovers and is around for a long time still.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best wishes.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you get to spend more time with your Dad.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's some scary shit, glad he's recovering. We work codes (cardiac arrests) in the cath lab probably once or twice per month, patients with heart attacks in for a stent, like your dad. As often as not, they don't come back, and when they do they aren't always the same person they went in as. Am I correct to assume that they were brief episodes and he's neurologically intact? I'm guessing they had to shock him once or twice? Does he remember any of it?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope he’s better soon.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad just past so I know how you’re feeling.

I hope you can make the best of the time you have left, be it a month or 15 years.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the best to your dad, BarryP.
Quote Reply
Re: So my dad died twice today. (he's doing fine now). [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't had the chance to talk to him yet. He lives in FL.

He's out and had lunch at Perkins.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad he's ok.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: So my dad died twice today. (he's doing fine now). [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
That's some scary shit, glad he's recovering. We work codes (cardiac arrests) in the cath lab probably once or twice per month, patients with heart attacks in for a stent, like your dad. As often as not, they don't come back, and when they do they aren't always the same person they went in as. Am I correct to assume that they were brief episodes and he's neurologically intact? I'm guessing they had to shock him once or twice? Does he remember any of it?

X2. Successful cardioversion from MIs and the like aren't as common as media has led people to believe, and like you say; even when they're handled speedily and correctly, there's sometimes a neurological deficit to one degree or another. It's just the way O2 and blood and damaged heart muscle works in humans, unfortunately.

In the year before my actual mother (i.e. biological, as opposed to my other mother, who was really my stepmother for more than 45 years before she died of AML in early 2013) passed away, in late 2000, from a massive myocardial infarction, she'd had two stents inserted after a mild one while in her doctor's office for another medical issue.

She felt great, she said, after the stents went in but they soon enough collapsed and she adamantly refused to go back in for the procedure again. To be honest, she was a horrible inpatient no matter what condition it was that put her in the hospital. I warned her that she'd suffered a precursor-type heart attack that would soon enough lead to a very big one if she didn't get it addressed. I would listen to her heart and its sounds sounds and rhythms were very concerning to me. You name it, it would also occasionally appear on her ECG, including PVCs and even Wenckebach (Type 1 Mobitz). Her physician and cardiologists would get on her but she was the original stubborn, hard-headed Polack/hillbilly, believe me. She paid for it in the end, though. And at only age 58. It was sad.

I think, though, that with Barry there for his dad, things are going to be just fine, and I'm sincerely hoping for his dad's speedy recovery.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can’t decide if this is considered a good day or a bad day.

On the one hand he died. Twice.

On the other hand he survived death. Twice.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear he's recovering.