Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sci-Fi fans: Neal Stephenson
Quote | Reply
I've read Anathem. Want to do another but it's a big investment. Cryptonomicon, Seveneves, or something else?

If there's something better still please let me know, need a time-out from standard book club fiction.

thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Sci-Fi fans: Neal Stephenson [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cryptonomicon is great. Thanks for the reminder, though. I have a decade or so of Stephenson to catch up on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the first 2/3 of Seveneves is great, i have no idea what went wrong after that but it's like another author came in and took over.

Quote Reply
Re: Sci-Fi fans: Neal Stephenson [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russ wrote:
the first 2/3 of Seveneves is great, i have no idea what went wrong after that but it's like another author came in and took over.

Agree.

I really enjoyed The Baroque Cycle series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed with all of the above. I thought Quicksilver was really good, too. The Baroque Cycle took a lot of patience. It was fabulous, but I tend to inhale books and missed a lot. I ended up starting over and slowing down. Also helped reading it in hard copy, rather than on my Kindle. He writes a ton with other authors -- those are are pretty good, too.

And I would definitely stop Seveneves after the end of the second part. The first two parts are SO good, and the third almost ruins the whole thing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with Cryptonomicon and then read the Baroque Cycle. You will find some of the character development in the BC more interesting if you’ve read Cryptonomicon first.
Quote Reply
Re: Sci-Fi fans: Neal Stephenson [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russ wrote:

Seems like every one of his books is somewhat like this. They all are great for the first 60-95%, then they fall apart near the end.

That said, I still like Cryptonomicon.
Quote Reply