Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping
Quote | Reply
I have booked two camp spots for weekends this summer. I am looking for new camping ideas. I have always been bare bones- but this is family car camping. So give me your best advice for fun glamping camping.

Meals, games, making a tent comfy anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A fucking hotel
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
A fucking hotel

I said family trip- not romantic get away.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring a camp stove for cooking OR bring old pots and pans you can cook directly over the campfire (I’m talking about a skillet for cooking eggs/bacon for breakfast, or a kettle for boiling water for hot chocolate or the plastic French press you’ll bring to make coffee). They will get black and sooty so don’t bring the good stuff.

If you really want comfort, have a big tent and bring a big (thick) air bed for a mattress. They have ones that either you can use your car to blow up or battery operated.

Food - Bring whatever food you want - you’ll have a cooler to keep it cold. Same with beverages. Steak and lobster tails are delicious when cooked over a camp fire!! Same with spices, utensils and things like foil to cook with.

Have fun!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably have one, but, if not, get a campfire square pie iron: https://www.amazon.com/...&tag=googhydr-20

You can make one, but, glow stick ring toss: https://www.amazon.com/...s-Game/dp/B00LDGZAE6

If you are going to use tents, get self-inflating air pads: https://www.amazon.com/...=1-3-spons&psc=1

Air bag chairs are fun: https://www.amazon.com/...&tag=googhydr-20

Hammocks: https://www.amazon.com/...amp;ref=nb_sb_noss_2

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For car camping we cover the floor of the tent with inflatable mattresses and then cover them with blankets. I also have a loose mesh that I put in front of the door to help keep dirt out.

If you have younger kids bring along glow necklaces and bracelets. At bed time you can hang them in the tent as nightlights.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And one thing you can do for breakfast is omelets. Break 2-3 eggs in a ziplock bag. Add whatever meats, cheese or veggies you want. Mix well. Try to get all the air out of the bag then seal. Toss into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. Transfer to plate and enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
windywave wrote:
A fucking hotel

I said family trip- not romantic get away.

Oh you already have one, not starting one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We try to do a few camping trips each summer, agree on using the glow stick/necklaces as lights in the tent at night. for eats, one thing we've done is make stuff like pulled pork or homemade baked beans beforehand and frozen it in ziplock bags, then warmed/thawed it on the camping stove.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
You probably have one, but, if not, get a campfire square pie iron: https://www.amazon.com/...&tag=googhydr-20

+1 on the sandwich cooker. a couple pieces of bread with some apple or cherry pie filling and you will have very happy campers.

We cook hot dogs/ brats on sticks or hamvurgers in foil.

Depending in the age of your kids we usually design a scavenger hunt. Identify 3 types of wildlife, trees,plants, etc. fun and educational.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!

I love camping but I used to just bring a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, a bag of apples, some chocolate and beer.

Apparently my husband and child do not fully appreciate this minimalist approach to camping so I need to up my game if I want them to join me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL! That's wifie as well! We got back into camping a couple years ago. I told her my sleeping on the ground days were over. I spent more than my share of nights in the dirt/sand/mud courtesy of Uncle Sam. So, we bought a small (15 ft) minimalist camper. I don't require much, but, I don't want to sleep in tents anymore! Wifie is still hard core. Not me!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
I have booked two camp spots for weekends this summer. I am looking for new camping ideas. I have always been bare bones- but this is family car camping. So give me your best advice for fun glamping camping.

Meals: Veges cook up well wrapped in tin foil, kebobs are also easy wrapped up in foil, Marlboro man percolator brew coffee pot is a must for a sane morning, chilled white wine, the backpacking dehydrated, just add water meals are actually quality dining. Less servings than advertised though.

Equip essentials: 2 burner camp stove, old school gas lantern for outside on table, battery lanterns for tent, comfy fireside stools/chairs, kids?- more than one tent, air mattresses. Rain/shade tarp. Durable quality large cooler and a small one too.

Games: day hikes, and more day hikes, board games, prep for some fantastical fictional fireside story telling (or just read some short stories) around the campfire, bone up on your star constellations and planet locations

Enjoy some quality family time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

Some camping areas have “eco” sites (could be by other names) where you park your car then haul your shit a couple hundred yards. Makes you feel like you’re in the wild but you still have all your crap.

Oh, yeah, make chopped ham and cheese sandwiches on a sturdy French roll, wrap in foil and throw in the camp fire for a bit and eat.

S’mores are always a hit.

Psychedelic mushrooms are always good.

Personally, I hate car camping. People are running generators all day so they can charge their electric toys and watch tv.

Then when the sun drops the heavy drinking begins.

Enjoy.

PS: get a good backpack and walk 25 miles in. That’s camping.
Leave the family with the car.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe Robinet on You Tube. He’s a minimalist camper. Has many tips and tricks.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Hennessy Hammock. It’s the best sleep I’ve ever had.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy makes amazing videos of his camping trips. He works in Television so he knows how to make a good video.

Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I bought one. Pretty certain it was on your recommendation. I love it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I thought “Hennessy Hammock” was a euphemism for getting drunk on cognac.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

What do you do if you’re above the timber line?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
A fucking hotel

Emphasis on which word?

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I had my raft frame built with a removable hammock stand. Maybe when I’m on a trip with my buddies I should just sleep on the raft in one of those.

All of the camp spots I have are riverfront and we will spend days rafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a road trip across the states with my kids and some spots were really bad with mosquitoes. I wish I had a can of Yard Off to spray the campsite instead of continuously dousing ourselves with repellent.

Don't skimp on bedding, warmth, food or rain protection.

I love Crocs for camping. Nice to wear after a long day, walking into a stream or getting up in the middle of the night to pee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

As somebody who used to love camping and is surprised that nobody has yet mentioned it, is don't go in bug season. Black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies, no see ems, etc etc can ruin the otherwise best idealic camping trips. In some climes bugs aren't a problem, but if you're camping in their hood be sure to check out the best times of year to go there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think anyone has mentioned a tarp and rope. If it rains, and you’re camped by trees, you can put it up over picnic tables and have a dry spot outside of the tent.

Do the areas you’re camping in have farms/farm markets close by? Picking up fresh picked corn made for seriously amazing dinners when my family car-camped. If you can, take advantage of local fresh, in-season produce.
Quote Reply

Prev Next