Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Virginia's Attorney General, Matt Herring: "I Wore Blackface in 1980"
Quote | Reply
Fuck. Is there anyone in Virginia's leadership caste who hasn't worn blackface or otherwise been a racist? Oh, that's right! The lieutenant governor, Justin Fairfax, obviously hasn't. But wait! He's been accused of sexual assault. Jesus fucking Christ...

https://www.bloomberg.com/...mp;utm_medium=social

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Virginia's Attorney General, Matt Herring: "I Wore Blackface in 1980" [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole government of the commonwealth is a dumpster fire.
Quote Reply
Re: Virginia's Attorney General, Matt Herring: "I Wore Blackface in 1980" [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting case since it seems it could either be blackface or "blackface".
Quote Reply
Re: Virginia's Attorney General, Matt Herring: "I Wore Blackface in 1980" [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
That's an interesting case since it seems it could either be blackface or "blackface".

That's true enough.

Also, from NBC: Fairfax's reaction to Tyson's allegation: "Fuck that bitch."

My colleague, Mr. Windywave, is being too charitable to the Commonwealth when he calls it a dumpster fire. Heh.

Updated to add: I gets even better (or worse for Fairfax, that is). It seems Tyson had told this story well before the current eruption, at least among her friends and to sexual-assault activists (though the below is still secondhand, at best):

"Tyson’s Stanford colleague Jennifer Freyd told the Bay Area News Group on Tuesday that sometime last fall, at the start of their fellowship program, Tyson told Freyd and a couple of other colleagues about the 2004 encounter at the Boston convention. Freyd doesn’t remember whether Tyson named Fairfax, but said that she spoke about it while “illustrating a concept” they were discussing about sexual violence.

“It was not that remarkable in that many times I’ve sat with colleagues and they talked about being victimized and how it fits in with what we are talking about,” said Freyd, a University of Oregon psychology professor who is part of the same Stanford behavioral sciences fellowship program with Tyson. …

Although Tyson has not personally gone public with her account, she told Freyd in an email Monday that it was OK for this publication to identify her because “her name is public now” after she was identified in a conservative blog on Sunday.

“She’s super smart and thoughtful. I’ve experienced her as a person of enormous integrity, courage and authenticity,” Freyd said. Both are scheduled to be part of a Stanford symposium on Feb. 12 called “Betrayal and Courage in the Age of #MeToo.”"

Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 6, 19 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would be funny if it weren't sad. Whose next?
Quote Reply
Re: Virginia's Attorney General, Matt Herring: "I Wore Blackface in 1980" [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
This would be funny if it weren't sad. Whose next?

I dunno. But I must be getting under someone's skin with these posts, considering the amount of whining going on in a certain thread right now. Heh.

Hey, I'm not the one running around the Virginia countryside wearing blackface and Klan robes and sexually assaulting every fair maiden in the Commonwealth. Or killing babies after they're born, and then calling the procedure "post-birth abortion." I only report the news, I don't make the news. That would be the Democrats.

Quote Reply
Re: Virginia's Attorney General, Matt Herring: "I Wore Blackface in 1980" [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I don't want to create a whole new OP for this one -- because some of the more delicate flowers among our esteemed colleagues will have a case of the vapors if I do -- so here's the statement just put forth by Justin Fairfax's accuser (and man, can you see the Katz law firm's influence in it). Her full statement is only a shade over two pages, so dive in. The key bit:

The part where she admits to kissing him back stands out to me. I mean, if you were out to simply smear someone by fabricating a sexual assault out of whole cloth, is that really a detail you'd want to include? Just me, but I'd think you would want to make the assault as non-consensual as possible right from the get-go (as a certain other California professor did several months back to another esteemed personage, right?).

Some of it is boilerplate stuff. Claim of "suppressed memories," claim of them rushing back only when she'd learned Fairfax was running for the lieutenant governor slot in Virginia in 2017 yada yada.

This one's going to be a lot of "he said, she said" -- I mean, outside of him admitting they did have sex, which he's claiming was completely consensual.

Quote Reply
Re: Virginia's Attorney General, Matt Herring: "I Wore Blackface in 1980" [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Or more accurately you could state without argument that revelations of past actions by "the top 3" in VA Govt. is a dumpster fire.

This week the legislature is proceeding on with business as usual in deliberation on matters of import to the residents of this fine state. Matters such as enhancing the rights afforded to bicyclists and dealing with distracted drivers. Alleged sexual assaulter LT. Gov. presiding.

They also checked with the state constitution and figured impeachment on the grounds of these transgressions might be too much of a stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: Virginia's Attorney General, Matt Herring: "I Wore Blackface in 1980" [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
windywave wrote:

Or more accurately you could state without argument that revelations of past actions by "the top 3" in VA Govt. is a dumpster fire.

This week the legislature is proceeding on with business as usual in deliberation on matters of import to the residents of this fine state. Matters such as enhancing the rights afforded to bicyclists and dealing with distracted drivers. Alleged sexual assaulter LT. Gov. presiding.

They also checked with the state constitution and figured impeachment on the grounds of these transgressions might be too much of a stretch.

From CNN's Chris Cilizza, who's writing about:

The complete and utter collapse of Virginia’s Democratic Party.

Glad to see it Now if the GOP Stupid Party there could step on a few well-placed rakes of their own we might get somewhere...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My point was there is business as usual activity in the state house. Hell, the current governor may even sign into law some of that business. Elections downstream will serve to sort party dominance or influence.

There is no sign on the door to the state capital "Closed till we sort this shit out." Sure, the national media headlines and bullet talking points might be screaming dumpster fire but responsible politicians not yet alleged as bad actors are working on my behalf as a citizen of the state.
Quote Reply
Re: Virginia's Attorney General, Matt Herring: "I Wore Blackface in 1980" [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allow me to belabor a point. Yesterday both houses of Va legislature passed a bill restricting all handheld use of cell phones while driving.

Could be signed into law by Mr. Coonman. Yep, he is not dead yet. Resident cyclists, black, white, brown and other, are grateful. About time!

Wonder how many of those legislators also transgressed with black face and sexual assault back in the day?

Shitshow at the top continues as the main attraction with no change to report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, this whole blackface nonsense needs to stop.

I was in highschool/college in the 80s and it would not have been unusual to see someone dressing up as reggae-man, rapper-man, jamaican bobsled team, micheal jackson, or magic johnson, or something similar for costume occasions.

None of it was done with what I was considered racist or offensive intent. The fact that white dudes can't dress up as people of color is crazy, but here we are. Much less dredging up stuff from 35 years ago and get crucified for it.

Quote Reply
Re: Virginia's Attorney General, Matt Herring: "I Wore Blackface in 1980" [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:

I was in highschool/college in the 80s and it would not have been unusual to see someone dressing up as reggae-man, rapper-man, jamaican bobsled team, micheal jackson, or magic johnson, or something similar for costume occasions.

None of it was done with what I was considered racist or offensive intent. The fact that white dudes can't dress up as people of color is crazy, but here we are. Much less dredging up stuff from 35 years ago and get crucified for it.

Racism is getting easier in that any future blackface will most assuredly be viewed as racist and be reviled by all. Looking at records and memories of blackface events from distant past is more complex and is not nonsense. Public crucifixions with or without declared innocence and apologies will continue to haunt, because ALL of these past events, however professed, are still hurtful to SOME. There is no getting around that fact. Racism in America is evolutionary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Endo wrote:

Racism is getting easier in that any future blackface will most assuredly be viewed as racist and be reviled by all. Looking at records and memories of blackface events from distant past is more complex and is not nonsense. Public crucifixions with or without declared innocence and apologies will continue to haunt, because ALL of these past events, however professed, are still hurtful to SOME. There is no getting around that fact. Racism in America is evolutionary.

Yup. No way to get around that. But all I know is I'm just waiting for one of you mofos to show up in a sombrero or war bonnet and then I got your ass, heh. I'm going to run straight to Dan and whine like a little bee-yotch, too LOL!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it! Not cool with Poncho Villa-Geronimo cross dressing. But what if it was to a south west america late 19th century themed party, would you still go wewewe all the way to Dan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Got it! Not cool with Poncho Villa-Geronimo cross dressing. But what if it was to a south west america late 19th century themed party, would you still go wewewe all the way to Dan?

Nah, that'd be cool with me

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

I dunno. But I must be getting under someone's skin with these posts, considering the amount of whining going on in a certain thread right now. Heh.

Cry me a river. This thread is not an example of what I complained about in that certain thread. Not even close, and you know that.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Feb 8, 19 13:36
Quote Reply