Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them?
Quote | Reply
Just curious about everyone's position on Trump's tax returns.

I saw an article stating that the chairman of the Ways and Means committee has the power to obtain his tax returns. According to an article I read, Trump stated in 2014 that he would release them but hasn't, and that he is the first president in 40 years not to release them. The Dems already have a key word that you'll start hearing "conflicted" as in "the tax returns will show that this president is conflicted"

I don't like the precedent of obtaining them *forcefully*, but he should release them. We know he wont', and that it was just another of his lies - but I'm still not wild about setting dangerous precedents just to make someone look bad.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

I saw an article stating that the chairman of the Ways and Means committee has the power to obtain his tax returns. According to an article I read, Trump stated in 2014 that he would release them but hasn't, and that he is the first president in 40 years not to release them. The Dems already have a key word that you'll start hearing "conflicted" as in "the tax returns will show that this president is conflicted"

I don't like the precedent of obtaining them *forcefully*, but he should release them. We know he wont', and that it was just another of his lies - but I'm still not wild about setting dangerous precedents just to make someone look bad.

Thoughts?

So you're saying you have seen no behaviour or comments from Trump or his family that could indicate he may be conflicted, and therefore you believe this is being done just to somehow make him look bad? Could you expand on those thoughts please?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is inappropriate for Congress to obtain them in fashion other than him volunteering them.

I kind of don't care what any politician puts on their tax returns, if they release them great, if not don't care. I'd care more about their brokerage accounts.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

So you're saying you have seen no behaviour or comments from Trump or his family that could indicate he may be conflicted, and therefore you believe this is being done just to somehow make him look bad? Could you expand on those thoughts please?

Let's investigate everyone for everything and see what we can find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

I don't think he's capable of this sort of long term thinking, but how brilliant on his part would it be if there isn't anything there and he just played this all out for effect?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be all for forcing him to releasing them if it were a law or a requirement. It's not so why should he be forced?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

Trump is learning that the three branches of government are equal, and that Congress is doing it's job of oversight. There are clear signs that the president may be conflicted by his personal business dealings with Russia and/or Saudi Arabia. He and his family have made statements in the past about how they have received funding from Russia. The only bank that would still lend to the Trump organization - Deutsche Bank - is under investigation for money laundering Russian money. Trump and others in his circle lied repeatedly about their business ties to Russia during the 2016 campaign. And Trump has sided with Russia and Saudi Arabia over the public opinions of his intelligence services. He has also failed to release his tax returns after saying he would.

That you would imply this is just a mindless, hopeful treasure hunt doesn't surprise me at all. Try thinking objectively for a change.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I think it is inappropriate for Congress to obtain them in fashion other than him volunteering them.

I kind of don't care what any politician puts on their tax returns, if they release them great, if not don't care. I'd care more about their brokerage accounts.

I thin it is appropriate (and legal) for Congress to obtain them in any legal fashion if he won't volunteer them.

I do care what politicians put on their tax returns (I prepare them for some).
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

Trump is learning that the three branches of government are equal, and that Congress is doing it's job of oversight. There are clear signs that the president may be conflicted by his personal business dealings with Russia and/or Saudi Arabia. He and his family have made statements in the past about how they have received funding from Russia. The only bank that would still lend to the Trump organization - Deutsche Bank - is under investigation for money laundering Russian money. Trump and others in his circle lied repeatedly about their business ties to Russia during the 2016 campaign. And Trump has sided with Russia and Saudi Arabia over the public opinions of his intelligence services. He has also failed to release his tax returns after saying he would.

That you would imply this is just a mindless, hopeful treasure hunt doesn't surprise me at all. Try thinking objectively for a change.

How about you stop with the Russian bullshit until the investigation is complete.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
I would be all for forcing him to releasing them if it were a law or a requirement. It's not so why should he be forced?

Cause he's an asshole that half the country wants to see taken down?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

Yes, if only there was a law... (try using that interweb thingy)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah. That's exactly what I said - you're brilliant. The Dem's motives are as pure as the snow that fell in Miami this year. They aren't trying to score political points, just trying to get to the truth because that's all that they care about.

If his tax returns were needed for an investigation, I'm sure they could be subpoenaed by investigating authorities. But this isn't the case in this instance. This is about politics. But maybe you believe that your tribe is above that and only cares about doing what's right for America, politics be damned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

How about you stop with the Russian bullshit until the investigation is complete.

hmm, I think we are actually talking about an investigation here. The question is, is there sufficient cause to undertake this particular investigation? My opinion, expressed above (and by many others), is yes. I guess you may have a different opinion. It would be interesting to hear it, rather than your rather juvenile comment above, though each to their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

Are you ignorant of all of the banks under investigation for money laundering, being selective, or obtuse? Also how familiar are you with Deutsche's operations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:

Yes, if only there was a law... (try using that interweb thingy)

Though candidates for the U.S. presidency aren’t required by law to show voters their tax returns, they almost always do so as a gesture of personal disclosure. Donald Trump is a rare exception. During his campaign, and in two years as president, he has declined to show the public his tax documents. Now opposition Democrats, who took control of the U.S. House of Representatives in January, may be able to use their new power to get them.

1st paragraph from the Wapo..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.c47d56cb0372
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He should have released them, people (like half of the people here) should have cared enough that he would have. That should be the case for every president. In his situation, there are even more questions. The American people should have held him to the same standard that they do to every candidate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

hmm, I think we are actually talking about an investigation here. The question is, is there sufficient cause to undertake this particular investigation? My opinion, expressed above (and by many others), is yes. I guess you may have a different opinion. It would be interesting to hear it, rather than your rather juvenile comment above, though each to their own.

My contention has always been, innocent until proven guilty. You on the other hand have had your mind made up for a very long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah. That's exactly what I said - you're brilliant. The Dem's motives are as pure as the snow that fell in Miami this year. They aren't trying to score political points, just trying to get to the truth because that's all that they care about.

If his tax returns were needed for an investigation, I'm sure they could be subpoenaed by investigating authorities. But this isn't the case in this instance. This is about politics. But maybe you believe that your tribe is above that and only cares about doing what's right for America, politics be damned.

If your honest opinion is that Trump and his family have shown no behaviour that could raise concerns of conflicts of interest in his role as president representing America, then I can understand your position (I just asked you to explain that position, but if you have nothing to say on that, so be it). My opinion differs, as I outlined above. I believe Congress is rightly doing its oversight role to ensure our president is acting in the best interests of America, not Donald Trump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

There has to be a reason why ol' Bonespurs is the only president in history hiding his tax returns. Damn right I'm curious to find out why.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

There has to be a reason why ol' Bonespurs is the only president in history hiding his tax returns. Damn right I'm curious to find out why.

You're fucking Canadian... I want to see Trudeau's ... make it happen
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

AFAIK, it already has. Trudeau has no illegal activities to hide.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

AFAIK, it already has. Trudeau has no illegal activities to hide.

Link?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

Are you ignorant of all of the banks under investigation for money laundering, being selective, or obtuse? Also how familiar are you with Deutsche's operations?

I can't say much here, but yes, other banks such as Danske Bank and FBME Bank are also under investigation. Deutsche Bank acted as FBME's correspondent bank, incidentally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What should we call those people still calling for the release of his tax returns? Taxers? or Returners?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Thoughts?

My contention has always been, innocent until proven guilty. You on the other hand have had your mind made up for a very long time.

Not true. And Trump is still innocent until proven guilty. I stand by my last comment above.
Quote Reply

Prev Next