Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Felt IA Disc - Owners' thread
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I am the proud and happy owner of a IA1 disc as of last Saturday! First ride on it felt fantastic and a huge upgrade from my 6-year old BMC Timemachine.
Haven't seen any thread related to the bike on ST so thought I'd start this one to exchange information and tips.

LBS did mess up a bit on the setup; amongst other things they used the wrong spacer underneath the handlebars (30mm instead of 15). I know I can change the spacers underneath the tri bars, but I want to lower the handlebars altogether and only play with the tri bars going forward - it also looks much better which is extremely important :-)

I went in to change it myself but unfortunately realised that all cables, including front brake, go through said spacer... Felt responded quickly to my request on their website, saying that I basically had to disconnect the front brake and the electric cables, swap the spacer and reconnect everything - and of course re-bleed the brake. Not something I can do myself so will bring back to the store, just thought I'd share it here in case you are building one - make sure you get this right in the first place!

G.

French 70.3 AG out of Singapore
Felt IA1 Disc owner
Last edited by: guiguirondy: Jan 29, 19 17:55
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc [guiguirondy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike,

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool bike! IA1 comes as a Frame only option right? What size is that one as the bento box fits just right with top frame.

Do you feel it is heavy? I was looking at getting one but seems very heavy and im quite short, so not sure especially with courses that has hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc [ARA18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a frameset only indeed - was just much cheaper than the FRD, and I could reuse my parts. I got a size 54 - I’m 5”11.

I’ve only ridden it once and I live in Singapore, so haven’t tried Long hills. All I can say is it feels very nimble, reacts really well when you step off the saddle. Not the same as a road bike but I was very impressed. Keeps asking for more, I was very surprised about it - made my BMC feel like a tank in hindsight.
It is certainly a bit heavy especially at the rear end of the bike, more so than other bikes I’ve had in that aspect. But so far I haven’t felt it was a problem.

Felt IA1 Disc owner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make this thread the new official Felt IA disc thread.

Ps high resolution photo of the bike ?

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc [ARA18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bento box is Felt's Calpac that come standard on every IA bike and frameset

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice bike! The wheels look great also. How wide did you go for tires and rims?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm new here - not sure how to post high res photos sorry!

Felt IA1 Disc owner
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with the HED Jet 6/9 disc (not sure how wide they are) and with 25mm Conti GP5000 Tubeless. 28mm seemed a step too far for me!

Felt IA1 Disc owner
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc - Owners' thread [guiguirondy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice! I should be getting a call from the bike shop to pick up my IA1 disc frame any day now. Very excited.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc - Owners' thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my IA3 at home , love it :-). There is also a 3cm spacer under the base bar (I will remove that) but how many cm can I raise the earobar? Now there are 4cm of spacers. Will 7cm spacers to high?

Last edited by: rbe: Feb 5, 19 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc - Owners' thread [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
I got my IA3 at home , love it :-). There is also a 3cm spacer under the aero bar (I will remove that) but how many cm can I raise the aerobars? Now there is 4cm of spacers. Is 7cm spacers to high?

This line makes no sense unless you mean there is a 30 mm spacer under the base bar. But if you really need 70 mm of spacers under the aerobar you are probably on a size too small , wrong bike or you need a fit ;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc - Owners' thread [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idd I mean there is now 3cm under the base bar. And I want 7cm under the extensions.

The size is good. For now the position is relaxed. After some months I will lower the aerobars a couple of cm to get a more agressive fit. (The fit will then be the same as on my old TT bike.)

Last edited by: rbe: Feb 5, 19 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
Idd I mean there is now 3cm under the base bar. And I want 7cm under the extensions.

The size is good. For now the position is relaxed. After some months I will lower the aerobars a couple of cm to get a more agressive fit. (The fit will then be the same as on my old TT bike.)

Even with 4 cm under the aerobar I would say that is on the high side and the higher it gets the less stable it feels even with the bridge.
But if you are happy and enjoy it that is all that matters :-)

Have fun!!

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I've gotten my frame. It is sweet! The wheels I ordered aren't in yet so I haven't been able to ride it, but have it mostly put together.

I do have a small project to complete, I am using Tririg Alpha X aerobars, and thus the nose cone has nothing to attach to. My current plan is to shave off the bolt tabs, and then add a carbon fiber roof to the nose cone. Then line it up on the bike and mark then drill a hole to bolt it to the bottom of the alpha x - there is already a hole on alpha x (planning to put thin layer of rubber in between the two).

Anybody have any better ideas?

Also, the rear storage unit can be slid up or down quite a bit. Does anyone know the optimal location for this aero-wise?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc - Owners' thread [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do u know if the aero bar extensions can be mounted with no spacers. Ie... flat to the base bar?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc - Owners' thread [jwrdds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think u need the 5mm spacer

Last edited by: rbe: Feb 9, 19 5:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt ia3 stealth wheels rotor 2inpower crank cema ceramic bearings

Last edited by: rbe: Feb 10, 19 6:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple quick questions please. I own a IA the first one looking at picking up this one mainly for disc brakes. Nothing but positive reviews on the TRP brakes your opinion please. Looks like the nose cone is one piece instead of two. Is the Di2 junction box still in there. Only front brake cable exposed at the caliper lower fork. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally got this thing all put together.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what stem is that?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc - Owners' thread [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alpha X
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc - Owners' thread [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhudson wrote:
Couple quick questions please. I own a IA the first one looking at picking up this one mainly for disc brakes. Nothing but positive reviews on the TRP brakes your opinion please. Looks like the nose cone is one piece instead of two. Is the Di2 junction box still in there. Only front brake cable exposed at the caliper lower fork. Thanks

The brakes are a bit 'soft ' not as good as hydraulic ones. But better as rim brakes.

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc - Owners' thread [guiguirondy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Team Every Man Jack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stunning bike Sean!
Last thing I need to figure is the BTA system. I love yours but I assume that is only compatible with the TR bars?

Felt IA1 Disc owner
Quote Reply

Prev Next