Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1)
Quote | Reply
I am soliciting votes for my next PM. I currently have a P1 and I love it. It has served me well for a few years. However, it started failing me this week during intervals over 300W. I am high-loyal to brands and products that have served me well. But, this is a warranty replacement set from when my originals failed about 6 months ago. I am concerned that the P1 may have inherent issues with power users and that getting another set of P1 pedals is just kicking a design flaw can down the road. These are probably covered under warranty, so i will be getting them serviced or fixed regardless. The question is whether I just keep with them or sell them and switch to something else.

Here is where I am interested in user feedback. Pedal PM is a requirement, because I swap them between bikes regularly.

Now, I no longer trust them, and I aim to replace them. This set is under warranty, so I figure that I will get them either replaced or fixed from Powertap. That means my options are: 1) get these fixed and keep going, 2) Jump to the Powertap P2 pedals, 3) get the Favero Assioma pedals, or 3) Get the Garmin Vector 3 pedals. I am torn…

1. Stick with my repaired or replaced P1 pedals. This is the cheapest route. And, I really do like the pedals overall. However, is this or something else likely to happen again?
  2. Jump to the new Powertap P2. I like the way they look, and they are a current shiny object. And, they promise some minor improvements to their general proven history. However, is there something inherent that still exists that may be a future problem?
  3. Get the Favero Assioma. This is an incredible value and seem like they are getting good incidental feedback from ST posts. However, I really do not like they way they look. And, are they really proven in demanding use?
  4. The Vector 3: I love Garmin stuff in general, and I love the way they look. But they had tons of issues at launch. Are the issues fully resolved with them now? And, they are the most expensive.

So, if you have had one or more of these, I greatly appreciate first-hand thoughts. I have read all of the DCR reviews, and I will be going back to re-read them.
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the Assioma for over a year now. I’ve loved them. No real issues to speak of. Hardly notice the pods except when I check to make sure they’re awake. Pairs good with my watch, bike computer and Zwift. I wish I had more to say about them but they just work and that’s what I look for in my equipment.

Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Assiomas, been rock solid between multiple bikes and with their price it’s the best of both worlds, wouldn’t consider any other pedal based power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hate to be “that guy” but if you search this exact question has been answered many times. i’ve answered it many times. :-P

my cliff notes... stay far far away from the vectors, i went through two pair that were both returned to garmin. the assomias have been perfect for me.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Favero's. Rock solid, stable, zero issues for me. And a great price.
I don't find them ugly at all.
So happy I did not go the Garmin route.
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
Another vote for the Favero's.
Thanks JesseR, Tifosi01, pbnz, and damon.lebeouf for your Assioma feedback. I was a bit concerned about those since they do not have the long-term experience like Powertap and Garmin. It is amazing to me that I have read nothing significantly negative about the Assioma pedals, so that is encouraging. I think the only sort-of negative was something about clip-tension or float, but I cannot remember what that was and I cannot find it.
damon.lebeouf wrote:
i hate to be “that guy” but if you search this exact question has been answered many times. i’ve answered it many times.
No worries. I read your goodbye post and move to Assioma. The reason I added this is that I have found nothing meaningful about the P2. DCR has not written either a hands-on or an in-depth of the P2. Plus, in his really old P1, he talked about lots of time for long-term quality. I think that the P1 could have longevity issues, and there is no insights as to whether any of that is addressed in the P2.

Plus most of the negative Vector 3 feedback was tied to 1H2018, after which Garmin supposedly fixed everything. There is not a lot of good commentary or review (other than your post) on what the current state may be. And, DCR actually is supportive based on the fact that Garmin is selling a lot of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
pbnz wrote:
Another vote for the Favero's.
Thanks JesseR, Tifosi01, pbnz, and damon.lebeouf for your Assioma feedback. I was a bit concerned about those since they do not have the long-term experience like Powertap and Garmin. It is amazing to me that I have read nothing significantly negative about the Assioma pedals, so that is encouraging. I think the only sort-of negative was something about clip-tension or float, but I cannot remember what that was and I cannot find it.
damon.lebeouf wrote:
i hate to be “that guy” but if you search this exact question has been answered many times. i’ve answered it many times.
No worries. I read your goodbye post and move to Assioma. The reason I added this is that I have found nothing meaningful about the P2. DCR has not written either a hands-on or an in-depth of the P2. Plus, in his really old P1, he talked about lots of time for long-term quality. I think that the P1 could have longevity issues, and there is no insights as to whether any of that is addressed in the P2.

Plus most of the negative Vector 3 feedback was tied to 1H2018, after which Garmin supposedly fixed everything. There is not a lot of good commentary or review (other than your post) on what the current state may be. And, DCR actually is supportive based on the fact that Garmin is selling a lot of them.

Why in the hell would you even consider buying the Garmin with all the problems it's had with the hope it's been fixed when you can buy the rock solid Assiomas for less and can't find a single problem reported on them?

Dam people are weird...
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Dam people are weird...
I agree dam people are weird. I cannot imagine what kind of mad scientist visionary it would take to build something like Hoover Dam. And then all the fans of major innovative dams throughout the world.

Seriously though. I am not considering the V3 anymore. That was yesterday's post, and the point was to solicit up-to-date feedback about if they really are fixed, as Garmin and DCR assert.

After I eliminated the V3 from the equation, it comes down to the P2 or Assioma. But, the Assioma may win due the combo if its killer price and the dearth P2 information.

Damn, that was fun to write.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To throw another wrench in the bunch, are these going to be your race pedals?
And if they are, are you concerned with aero penalty?

I'm currently on a set of P1, and love them as powermeters.
My only regret has been related to potential aero penalties (re: Jim Maton over at ERO).
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn spelling is hard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Assioma. They just work! And they are onsale on Clever Training (no association). You should pay around $650 for the duo.
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Damn spelling is hard
Those crazy homophones. I do like them though... all of my phones are the same.
Nonojohn wrote:
To throw another wrench in the bunch, are these going to be your race pedals?
And if they are, are you concerned with aero penalty?
Yes, and yes. But, only to the extent that all other things are equal in terms of performance and reliability. I will check out Jim@ERO's website to see his aero pedal comparisons. I would choose clunky pedals every time over aero pedals that may not last.
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Assomia and I previously had P1s. I've been on Assomia's for 6 months with zero issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [ACook1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing to consider is if you damage the pedal body or somehow kill the bearings you can replace those yourself with the Assiomas. The other two require you to send your pedals back and wait for them to be repaired and shipped back.

Also the Assioma's are a second gen version of a well received gen 1 (BePro) from Favero. They appear to have nailed their first version and have refined it for the Assiomas. Compared that to Garmin who is still having issues on V3 and PowerTap, which also had issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
dunno wrote:
Dam people are weird...

I agree dam people are weird. I cannot imagine what kind of mad scientist visionary it would take to build something like Hoover Dam. And then all the fans of major innovative dams throughout the world.

Seriously though. I am not considering the V3 anymore. That was yesterday's post, and the point was to solicit up-to-date feedback about if they really are fixed, as Garmin and DCR assert.

After I eliminated the V3 from the equation, it comes down to the P2 or Assioma. But, the Assioma may win due the combo if its killer price and the dearth P2 information.

Assioma has a solid reputation for reliability, and if something did go wrong, their customer service seems to take care of it with one crack. Every electronic device can have a manufacturing error...but is it a persistent error or is it a one off? I have yet to see one Assioma review where they have "thrown their hands in the air" and given up on the product. That's rare.

Combine that with the fact that they are the cheapest, and by far lighter than the P2s...and to me it's a no brainer for pedal PM choice. I personally also prefer rechargeable batteries compared to AAAs.

All that said, I was interested to know why you are so focused on pedals. Is it because you plan to travel with the pedals and use them on rental/borrowed bikes? Or are you swapping between bikes that have different crank arm lengths, chain ring sizes, or 1x vs 2x? Those would be valid reasons.

But if just swapping between bikes at home, I much rather swap a GXP crank between bikes than pedals. Yeah, you might need some type of BB conversion or adapter, but if you're swapping on a regular basis (as in multiple times a week) I found it was well worth it when you only have to loosen and tighten one bolt instead of two. It's not to say that swapping a crank is "better" than pedals, but I just wouldn't rule out a crank based solution just because you need to swap between bikes. Especially if it allows you to use the pedals of your choice or swap between bikes that would have different pedal requirements (road vs CX/gravel).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
dunno wrote:
Dam people are weird...

Lol I had no idea what the hell you were going on about until i realised there was a spelling difference. I guess you don't generally use 'damn' all that often in a written sentence to justify giving a single toss how it's spelt

Just go the Assiomas, cheaper, lighter, better battery/charging and look better imho
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Damn spelling is hard

You must be a fun person to be around...
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
All that said, I was interested to know why you are so focused on pedals. Is it because you plan to travel with the pedals and use them on rental/borrowed bikes? Or are you swapping between bikes that have different crank arm lengths, chain ring sizes, or 1x vs 2x?
It is because I want left & right power and I often swap the PM between bikes (back-and-forth once/week during nice weather). And, I do not want to swap cranks. I am an expert mechanic, so the actual swap is not a hassle. But, to me it is just a butt-ton easier and cleaner to swap pedals.

There are not that many crank PMs that give you true L&R power. I like that, because I have a slight left leg bias that exaggerates with fatigue and a right knee injury. So, I actually monitor my L/R balance after rides to assess form degradation and adjust effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Just go the Assiomas, cheaper, lighter, better battery/charging and look better imho
This thread has thoroughly served its purpose for me, and I thank everyone. The Assiomas are ordered from CT at a stupid-low price.

On the upside, I already called PowerTap, and they will likely warranty my P1 pedals, so I will be shipping them of for either repair or replacement. I really cannot knock Saris for their customer support; they are A+! I will sell the P1s whenever they come back to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Promise you laugh more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The reason I added this is that I have found nothing meaningful about the P2.

18 minutes on the P2 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKlWPIUjCm8

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet, thanks. I had totally forgotten about your YouTube channel. I shall queue that up later this evening...
Quote Reply
Help vote on my next PM: P2, Assomia, Vector 3 (or P1) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epilogue: I ordered a set of Assioma pedals and decided to keep them. I have a few rides, and they are excellent. They are feather-light, and I like the open, minimalist look. The pods at the axles are not as obtrusive as I expected. These are my future TT power meter pedals.

Powertap did a total overhaul of my P1 pedals under warranty. So, all thumbs-up for Powertap and their fantastic customer support. This is my second service call on the P1 pedals, and both experiences have been excellent.

My final decision is whether to keep or sell the P1 pedals. I do not need them, but it would be nice to just install them on my road bike so that I never have to swap pedals again. Plus, they would be spares if I needed them in an emergency. Seems kind of frivolous, but hey, triathlon is frivolous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know that the Favero seems to be a good replacement - I'm having my P1s in for warranty for the second time as well, so depending on how the fix goes, I might need to look another direction too

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply