Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
February Fish
Quote | Reply
Post your swims!

8.5 mi easy run then 1000 yds goofing off for me.

runs/total days/swims = 47/49/29
1/1 for Feb

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Feb 1, 19 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been feeling great in the pool lately. While I've always been a swimmer, my previous coach would give me half ironman training swims that rarely exceeded 3,000 yards. Lately, now that I'm on my own, I've not done a swim under 3,200 and it's starting to really pay off. I spent the first 3 weeks of January doing a lot of slow swims with a lot of sets between 400 up to 1,000; building a better base.

Yesterday's swim was 3,400 yards:

Warm-up (800)
200 mixed stroke at 1:35 pace
100 kick
200 free at 1:32 pace
100 kick
200 pull at 1:35 pace

Intermediate Sets (500)
10 x 50 yards in two groups of 5, as zone 1, 2, 3, 3, 3.
My paces were Z1 - 1:30, Z2 - 1:27, Z3 - 1:23
--Rest about 15 seconds between each 50

Main Sets (1,000)
5 x 200 yards. Swim odds (see below for odds), pull evens (1:30 pace).
Odds:
Hard 25, rest 5 seconds (1:05 pace)
Moderate 50, rest 5 (1:20 pace)
Hard 25, rest 5 (1:10 pace)
Moderate 75, rest 5 (1:20 pace)
Hard 25, rest 20 (1:05 pace)

2x, with fins (1,000):
200 choice (freestyle for me), rest 15 seconds
2 x 50 sprint, rest 10 seconds between
100 choice, rest 15 seconds
4 x 25 sprint, rest 5 seconds between

Cool Down (100)
Easy 100 at 1:35 pace

Nourish - Sports Nutrition Made Easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Final total from January 39kscy, which is my largest month ever. Including December (30k), and November (35k), that makes my highest volume 3 straight months at 104kscy. Heck, that's basically HALF of my entire 2018 yardage (212k).

Crappy swim this morning. I seem to be in a funk. Times have slipped back to where I was the first week-or-so of January. Gonna have to take a step back and look at the plan this weekend.

100ez
2x50 (30) kick
2x100 (30) LA/RA/Sw
10x100 (20) @ 1:35

Didn't feel great, fatigued quickly and then it just kinda went to sh*t.

Lunch Run: Easy 4.3miles @ 7:53/mile

Feb 1/1, 1400scy
R/D/S: 55/49/37
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lactate threshold yesterday.

Can't even remember the warm up and prep set as it was at the end of a very busy week, but the main set kicked my ass, in a good way :) Total distance was 4250 SCM.

2 x {
6 x 100 FR/FR/IM @ 1:35 (FR)/1:45 (IM)
50m easy
6x75 Free @ 1:10
100m easy
}

I got an nasty leg cramp halfway through the 6x75, and didn't make that set. Grabbed a buoy and pulled the rest of my workout. Apparently I barely spoke at dinner, likely due to exhaustion but I did a easy 30km ride this AM to flush out the legs and I feel great!

Goals for Feb:
40K SCM for the month
Really working on kicking technique. My body position is a 7/10 and I just don't seem to be able to kick more than 150-175m out of a long set. So working on really keeping my head down, long arms, and more kicking sets
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish [stax88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed day.

4x100 (30s)
30x25 (15) usrpt @18.5s, failed at 15 and 21
7x50 on 60s (48/46/48/47/47/46/46)

I haven't been feeling very good in the water for the last couple of weeks, and I've lost about 1s /25 on this set. I think I need to reset.

25 mile bike with 2x20s
4.7m run

Feb 2/2, 2900scy
R/D/S: 57/50/38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warm up 10x100 alternate drill/swim/pull

16x50 on 1:00 kick
1-4, 9-12 w board holding 42
5-8, 13-16, no board on back, dolphin or free, holding 40

200 pull to find my arms

18x50 on 1:00 .. do 8 dolphins off every wall except br..
Rotate 6x through ba/fr, br/fr, 50 fr (37's, 39's, 34's)

100 easy

3,000. I'm still re-introducing myself to swimming maybe this one will help you if you're stuck with workout writer's block.
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:

FFS! My best 50 kick is 1:06. Ugh. So much work to do.

Next you will tell me that's meters....

Somebody, tell me about back stroke? My coach suggested doing some on my easy days. I tried that.... Barely made it 25 yards! Nothing easy about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.. yards lol. Give me 20 years back maybe.

Backstroke.. start by just kicking 25's with your arms at your side with good body position, feet high, hips up, water just splashing over your goggles once in a while.

Then do that on each side. Then do it with the bottom arm extended. Next drill - pull with the extended arm and rotate to other side.. slide the other bottom arm to extended position, repeat. Now you may be able to do the over water recovery and switch from extended position on one side to the other.

Ugh this is so hard to describe in writing.

I'm not sure what drill videos people are recommending these days. I was never a fan, but I think for AOS, total immersion might get you to a workable backstroke.

There are so many highly qualified swimmers on this forum that have much more value to add than I can do justice.

Ever thought of doing breaststroke as your "off" stroke? It's more natural, and although it's highly technical at the elite levels, it's very easy to get a serviceable stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ever thought of doing breaststroke as your "off" stroke? It's more natural, and although it's highly technical at the elite levels, it's very easy to get a serviceable stroke.

Yeah, I can do breast. But, coach recommended back to aid with shoulder mobility.

Thanks. That helps. I may not really be that bad. It's just funny how specific swim fitness is. 25 yards and I'm smoked on back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
ripple wrote:

FFS! My best 50 kick is 1:06. Ugh. So much work to do.

Next you will tell me that's meters....

Somebody, tell me about back stroke? My coach suggested doing some on my easy days. I tried that.... Barely made it 25 yards! Nothing easy about that.

Backstroke, the biggest thing is body position. Make sure you are looking straight overhead, not down at your feet. Your hips will sink if you look down, look up and your hips follow.

Work on kicking on your back. Then start incorporating arms. Thumb out, pinkie in.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had a club swim meet this morning, so I decided to do an experiment. There was 200 choice and 100's and 50's of all strokes and 100IM. So as long as there was a free lane available, iti was OK to do whatever events I wanted (even though entry read 4 max). I ended up doing the 200IM and the 100 in each stroke, 100 IM and 50 free and 50 fly and a 50 fly in a relay. All of this was packed into 1 hour and 45 minutes. On top of this, I ran every day this week getting back into 100/100 soo my expectation was quite low as my legs were feeling a bit trashed going in. So I figured this would all be a good gauge of what I can anticipate for a 400IM

What I was trying to do was see what my 100's of each event would be standalone, but somewhat tired (I only generally had one heat of rest throughout).

The 200IM I did not expect much as it was my first event of the day, barely warmed up at 7:30 am. But I was suprised to get a 3:32. Previously I did 3:30 this year. For the rest of the 100's I was 2-3 seconds off my best times. Adding up all my 100's up, I get 6:44 for the 400IM distance. I think if I add 7 seconds per stroke to that, I end up around 7:15 which seems like a reasonable target for the 400IM at provincials. The 200IM was pretty slow but that was my "warmup". So let's see. I was reasonably happy with the morning. I could really feel my legs from my frequent running this week. I had no snap in them and no push off the wall. I don't think 7 min 400IM is reasonable by end of May, but I'm still learning all these strokes.

My last event was the 100IM. It was my 9th event in 1:45 hrs. I ended up holding on for dear life, but still did a 1:40....1:39 would be better, but it was fun to pull through and it was only 2 seconds slower than earlier this year. I really had a lot of fun in a low key environment and it gave me an idea of where things are for the 400IM at Provincials in 7 weeks (YIKES)

All SCM in the description above.
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I managed to get over to the pool while one of the kids was napping.

6x (3x100 pull). Started at 2:00 interval then knocked off 5s each round, so the last round was at 1:35. Alternated between pull / no paddles and pull w/ paddles on each round as well.

Probably could have gone 1 more round, but I ran out of time. Had to get home so we could take the kids sledding with some friends. The 3 year old is growing up so fast, he’s sliding down and getting back up the hill all by himself now.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I managed to get over to the pool while one of the kids was napping.

6x (3x100 pull). Started at 2:00 interval then knocked off 5s each round, so the last round was at 1:35. Alternated between pull / no paddles and pull w/ paddles on each round as well.

Probably could have gone 1 more round, but I ran out of time. Had to get home so we could take the kids sledding with some friends. The 3 year old is growing up so fast, he’s sliding down and getting back up the hill all by himself now.

Well now you can run uphill intervals with your child. There is a bonus in all this! I am roughly 20 years ahead of you on that front, so I don't get training forced into me chasing little kids around!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5.1 mi run
2025 yd swim

8 x 100 on 1:30 w/u
8 x [50 kick + 100 fast] 1:16, bunch of 1:15s, 1:16
25 kick c/d

runs/total days/swims = 49/52/30
2/4 for Feb

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I can't run anymore, changing up the routine so I'm doing weights at lunchtime.

3 sets of each:

Dumbbell Military Press
Dumbbell Curls
Triceps extensions
Gym Ball Crunches
Hanging Knee Raises
Lat Pull Downs
Dumbbell Flys

When the knee gets better I'll start working in some squats.

Got a swim scheduled for tonight. More pulling. yay.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 4, 19 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still trying to find myself since every stroke is painful AF.

8x100 drill/swim/pull (no paddles ever)

12x50 on 1:00 rotate 4x through 50 kick w board, 50 pull, 50 swim

12x75 on 1:30 - 25 drill/50 swim mixing ba/br/fr

200 pull

10x50 on 1:05 - 25 kick/25 swim min. 8 UW dolphins each wall mixing ba/fr

100 cool down

3100 scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USRPT today. Enjoyed the workout, even though my shoulders were a bit stiff from Hang Cleans at the gym this morning.

Warm up
300 easy
200 pull
100 kick
100 IM

Prep set
6 x 100: 25 build/75 easy @ 1:40

Main set
24 x 25 @ 100m pace, pushing off on :40
300 easy

Prep set II
3 x 100: 25 build/75 easy @ 1:45

Main set II
16 x 25 @ 100 m pace, pushing off on :45
200 easy

Warm down
6 x 50 breast/choice

Total 3400 SCM

Great start to the week!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried doing a little bit of light kicking in practice tonight. No go, I’ll give it another week. I have an appt to see my doc later this week, make sure nothing is damaged and to try and get in some physio, if necessary. The swelling hasn’t gone down at all, but range of motion has gotten better.

Tonight’s practice (again, this is as written. I just pulled the whole thing)

400 SKPS
12x25 sprinters game on 30
4x25 kick/pull

800 (neg split)
4x25 @ :40 (hard /ez)
400 (neg split)
4x25 @ :40 (hard / ez)
200 build
4x25 ez

150 warmdown

2650 total

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 4, 19 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you keep track of your fails on the usrpt sets?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4.3mile run at lunch. Legs were heavy and sluggish today.

Also did usrpt set today... 50s.

WU:
6x25 (15s) clock drill
2x100 (30) la/ra/sw

MS: 30x50 usrpt (20s) @43s failed at 15 and 25
The Fail at 15 wasn't really a fail... I got kicked out of my lane. I'd probably have made it to 17 or 18. It was also 80*F today...warmest day since October by a long shot.

CD:
4x50 kick
100ez

2100scy

I was fighting hamstring and toe cramps while doing the kick set. They never quite cramped... They were just letting me know they were there.

Feb 3/4, 5000scy
R/D/S: 59/52/40
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 4, 19 19:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

Generally, yes. I'll internally note any fails regardless of the type of workout.

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough that there were none. 40/45 seconds on a 25m is usually enough that I can make my interval and have a bit of rest.

Last week's threshold was another story though....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stax88 wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Generally, yes. I'll internally note any fails regardless of the type of workout.

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough that there were none. 40/45 seconds on a 25m is usually enough that I can make my interval and have a bit of rest.

Last week's threshold was another story though....

That's not really a USRPT set, then. 40/45s sounds like too much rest. I do usrpt 25y sets on 32s interval, and I your paces sound faster than me. 25m/y should only have 15s rest. And the whole point of a usrpt set is TO FAIL 2-3 times. If you don't fail, you didn't go fast enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright guys, especially those of you who swim outside. I'm heading to Bermuda next month, but I haven't swum in an outdoor pool in ages. I need to order some mirrored goggles, I think. I have some smoke ones now, but last time I swam down there I could have used something a bit darker. What's your preference, gold mirror or silver?

edit - never mind. If I just order the goggles, a pair of $20 mirrored swedes (and a $5 bungee) comes to like $40. I'm not paying that much for goggles..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 5, 19 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

(well, I might get one for the 3 year old, if I can find one to fit his face)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next