Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Reading the Bible
Quote | Reply
So two presumptions of the get Bibles back in school folks seem to be:

1) Exposure to the Bible would convince people there is something to Christianity
2) Exposure to the Bible improves morality

I'm not so sure either of those are true.

Regardless of how states might get the Bible into schools it doesn't seem like there's any way constitutionally teachers will be able to proselytize, moralize, etc. using the Bible. They're not going to be able to sell Christianity and approach the Bible as one of the foundations for doing so.

So what do folks think? Is exposure to the Bible really all that effective on it's own?
Quote Reply
Re: Reading the Bible [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bible is the word of God.
It does not need to be interpreted or contextualized.

That is why it should be read in ancient Hebrew and Greek.

Highschool kids don’t need religious scholars, comparitive religious types or interpreters telling them what to think.

God’s intentions are clear as day.
Quote Reply
Re: Reading the Bible [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

Highschool kids don’t need religious scholars, comparitive religious types or interpreters telling them what to think.

Spent much time reading the bible have you? Nothing confusing?

1. How about soteriology and Free Will v. Calvinistic theology both of which can be argued from the text but have two different results?

2. How about the book of revelation? Nothing confusing there?

3. How about Mark 16? Do the hillbillys handling rattle snakes have it right?
Quote Reply
Re: Reading the Bible [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

1. How about soteriology and Free Will v. Calvinistic theology both of which can be argued from the text but have two different results?

I think you need to retune your sarcasm meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure either presumption is correct.

Without interpretation and theological explanations the bible very well could leave one confused.

Just reading the bible is not what is being pushed for I understand. They want teachers to explain the Christian faith without promoting it or taking away from it. Much like a study of other religions be it hindu, islam or the sikh faith.

I don't see, other than Trumps implication in his tweet, people saying we are going to bring the bible into schools to teach kids how to live good and upright lives. Maybe I missed that part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd rather people with low moral virtue (ex the same folks that are ok with murdering unborn children) fear God and the opportunity to live in eternal hell than look up to the Government as a platform for right & wrong and some sort of salvation from a State entity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If American tax dollars are to pay for Bibles in school, what about the Koran? Shreemad Bhagavad Gita? The Satanic Bible. The Jedi Manual.
Kids should get equal exposure to all so they can decide for themselves which version of fiction they believe.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bible is mysticism, plain and simple. If you are going to teach metaphysics, how about something a little more thought out as opposed to slavish morality and resentment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read from the bible every morning at 5:00 am with my coffee.

I don't read it to find fault, contradictions or inconsistencies. I read it because I find it fascinating and I get a sense of peace from doing so each morning. I would likely get the same peace from other readings but I enjoy the bible and the variations in stories, prose and poetry. I'm probably reading it as much for the literature and fascination with history but there's more than that. I can't explain it any better than that.

It's an incredible book if you get past the anger it seems to generate and just read it. Lots of good things between the covers. I'm currently reading it right through and will focus on specific books that I enjoy once I'm done.
Quote Reply
Re: Reading the Bible [Jim_Richalds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim_Richalds wrote:
The Bible is mysticism, plain and simple. If you are going to teach metaphysics, how about something a little more thought out as opposed to slavish morality and resentment.

You don't think the bible and its theology is thought out? Its been around for thousands of years.

Whether or not is promotes slavish morality and resentment is up the interpretation provided. Hence the reason they could simply teach the main tenants of Christianity as study of what Christians believe and not promote or detract from it as a belief system.

Could do the same with budhism, islam etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

Says who? It can provide moral compass for some, but so can the rest of the major religious texts. I was exposed to the bible as a kid, baptized Catholic as a papoose, and had many Mormon friends I used to attend their church with. Yet, I was an immoral fuckchop as a teenager and young adult. As an adult I tried my hand at Christianity again in my early 30's, but the more I was exposed to it, the more I saw hypocrisy within Christianity (and other major religions).

My moral compass has constantly been re-calibrated over the last 47+ years, and I suspect it'll re-calibrate more over the next 47+ years with input from a multitude of sources, not just one religious text.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reason to read the bible is understand what you crazies are babbling about, just like the only reason to watch GoT is so you can understand what your crazy co-workers are talking about.

Other than that, its just another very poorly written book of fiction that somehow has developed a cult following, again, much like Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Reading the Bible [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I don't read it to find fault, contradictions or inconsistencies. I read it because I find it fascinating and I get a sense of peace from doing so each morning. I would likely get the same peace from other readings but I enjoy the bible and the variations in stories, prose and poetry. I'm probably reading it as much for the literature and fascination with history but there's more than that. I can't explain it any better than that.

It's an incredible book if you get past the anger it seems to generate and just read it. Lots of good things between the covers. I'm currently reading it right through and will focus on specific books that I enjoy once I'm done.

+1 on that. People get angry and offended, which is popular these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's going to be on the final exam?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Interesting you mention this. I've read the bible (King James version i'm pretty sure) cover-to-cover twice. First time in boot camp as it was the only reading material aside from 'Marine Corps Knowledge' made available to use recruits. Other religious texts were available too I just choose the bible for whatever reason. I read it the second time in 2003 while sitting in the middle of nowhere Kuwait & Iraq, again it was readily available. I too found it an interesting read, but I was also reading it for pleasure than to find purpose or guidance.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Reading the Bible [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If American tax dollars are to pay for Bibles in school, what about the Koran? Shreemad Bhagavad Gita? The Satanic Bible. The Jedi Manual
---

They're just books and there shouldn't be anyone complaining about a school using American tax dollars to buy books.

BTW- I'd also like to add to your list a nice Dungeon Manual, preferable 2nd edition.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If by "thought out" you mean an irrational system of belief grifted from older mysticisms in order to provide unsubstantiated hope to an enslaved people by calling them "chosen", which in turn hurries the degeneration of a great society into several hundred years of darkness and causes the rise of a false morality and general saying of no to life, yes.

Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc... are all mysticism with Buddhist/Taoist Zen philosophies maybe being slightly more interesting.

If you want fantastic poetry, prose and content I would suggest Homer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
ACE wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

I think you need to retune your sarcasm meter.

I am serious.

Just because the Bible was written in languages that no-one speaks anymore.

Just because it is full of superficial contradictions and apparently irrelevant bits.

That doesn’t mean that a typical Highschoolers couldn’t just pick it up and spontaneously understand it.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Jan 31, 19 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

How does flooding humanity or condemning otherwise innocent people to eternal torture not make you a little bit angry?

I read it through as a teenager trying to make sense of how every person I knew believed in it. There are some good things in it but most of it was a jumbled up mess. Taking the whole thing in context I just can't imagine someone would come away from it thinking it was the answer. Even the Gospels, which are relatively straight forward story telling don't make for a coherent whole.

Most of what I see in Bible study is reading a select section and then discussing it. Those sections rarely include the really ugly parts of the Bible. How would you decide what to teach in schools? Do you teach about Jesus curing Lepers or do you teach about rape and slavery etiquette?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
1) Exposure to the Bible would convince people there is something to Christianity

Jesus taught that the most important thing a person can do, after loving God with all your heart, is to love other people as much as you love yourself (Matthew 22:36-39). If the message of loving others begins to rub off on people, even a little bit, perhaps our future will be a little brighter.
Quote Reply
Re: Reading the Bible [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
If American tax dollars are to pay for Bibles in school, what about the Koran? Shreemad Bhagavad Gita? The Satanic Bible. The Jedi Manual.
Kids should get equal exposure to all so they can decide for themselves which version of fiction they believe.

What religion was the United States founded on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Religion, all religions, do NOT belong in public school. Period. The bible, is simply one religions book. It should not be taught in public school. Neither should the koran, etc.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Jan 31, 19 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: Reading the Bible [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does flooding humanity or condemning otherwise innocent people to eternal torture not make you a little bit angry?

I'm currently reading Battle Cry of Freedom about the civil war. When I read about the battles, I don't analyze each battle and get angry because someone made a tactical error. I just read it for the history.

It's funny that people who get angry over the bible usually focus on the parts where God did something bad. It's as if they know better and that "their God" wouldn't do that and so the entire book is dismissed. God is unfair and he shouldn't be like that because he doesn't fit their definition of what God should be like. I don't hear many talk about the Beatitudes, the poetry in Psalms, the wisdom of Proverbs or the book of Ecclesiastes. People don't seem willing to take the good with the bad, they read the bad and throw up their arms in disgust.

If reading it makes you angry or gives you a sense of how God is unfair and how you expect more of him, it's probably better if you don't read it at all.

Quote Reply
Re: Reading the Bible [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

Freedom of Religion?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Reading the Bible [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:

None.
Quote Reply

Prev Next