Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to wade through old threads to find my answer, but I'm struggling. So I'm creating a new thread.

I don't race triathlons, but I race time trials. For what it matters, I have Renn disc rear and a Flo 60 (old style) front wheel.

What are the best race tires?

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental TT. Great tires.

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd throw in the GP5000 as an effective equivalent to the TT, but with better puncture protection and much better tread life.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria corsa speed is the fastest but fragile. I've had great luck with conti supersonics and will be running them again next season. 20mm front, 23mm rear for older flo 90's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
I'm trying to wade through old threads to find my answer, but I'm struggling. So I'm creating a new thread.

I don't race triathlons, but I race time trials. For what it matters, I have Renn disc rear and a Flo 60 (old style) front wheel.

What are the best race tires?

Michael

Clinchers or tubs?

With the older wheels I'd really worry more about the tire width for the aero on the front wheel for sure over pure CRR tests. If you toss an amazing new age 23 or 25mm tire up front on an old 21mm width it's going to be about as aero as a box truck.

Out back, if your bike has a decent fairing leading to the rear disc it won't matter as much and can run a 22 or 23 or so.

Tubs, if only ever gluing up for a competition then I'd do a 19mm Podium TT up front for sure.

To learn to ride my disc/trispoke setup with tubulars without breaking the bank I bought a Conti competition tub. I'll buy and glue up a Podium TT if the time arrives to really lay it on the line.

I bought a cheapo Giro for a spare tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC the older style Flo 60 was still 25mm wide at the brake track, so a 23 will be ok, especially the GP5000 which actually comes in closer to 23mm wide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the info you need is at the link below.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Turbo Cotton are really nice and fast tires. I haven’t tried the GP5000 yet, but compared with the GP4000 (which I have used as my go-to tire for a several years) the Turbo Cotton has a much better road feel. They look great as well!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How puncture resistant are these?

Contemplating running them at my 70.3 next weekend rather than my usual GP4000s.

Road surface is a highway, but not the smoothest chipseal.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishOutofWater wrote:
IIRC the older style Flo 60 was still 25mm wide at the brake track, so a 23 will be ok, especially the GP5000 which actually comes in closer to 23mm wide.

For that Flo wheel GP4000 II and now probably GP5000 looks the best bet.

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...-tire-study.html?m=1
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is of course not the most puncture safe tire, though by no means puncture-prone either. I’ve used the tires (with butyl tubes) on a 70.3 and several other rides without a single flat.

I would not hesitate to use it for long rides/competitions on varying surfaces.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Going to run them with latex tubes.

Will mull over it a bit more this week leading up to the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have clinchers.

For TT racing (old Flo 60 front and Renn disc), it's probably between the Conti TT and Vittoria Corsa Speed. I presume these two tires are the fastest, correct? Speed is more important to me than puncture resistance.

For Road racing: Likely the GP5000. Good choice?

For road training: either the GP5000 (currently use GP4000), or maybe the Turbo Cottons. Thoughts?

Oh, and latex lubes for all riding.

Michael
Last edited by: wacomme: Jan 24, 19 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
I have clinchers.

I presume these two tires are the fastest, correct? Speed is more important to me than puncture resistance.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
I have clinchers.

For TT racing (old Flo 60 front and Renn disc), it's probably between the Conti TT and Vittoria Corsa Speed. I presume these two tires are the fastest, correct? Speed is more important to me than puncture resistance.

For road training: either the GP5000 (currently use GP4000), or maybe the Turbo Cottons. Thoughts?

Michael

Depending on the TT course (not a lot of turns) you should also have the Conti SS 20c as a front wheel option. It is comparable to the top rolling tires and provides an aerodynamic advantage over the Conti TT and CS which typically mount up wider (especially on a narrower rim).

The Turbo Cottons roll so well that they almost overcome their aero disadvantage, so these should be a consideration for road racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am running out of my stock of older blackchilli 23mmSupersonics before they widened the casing. I am hoping the 20mm's will make a suitable replacement on the front. Currently I run a 2018 23mm TT on the rear.

I also have some CS speeds though I know a few guys had poor luck puncture wise while others had no issues. I wonder if the ribbed tread increases the chances of punctures.

I wonder if continental will eventually roll out new Supersonics or TT's using the compounds used in the new GP5'ks. I am sure I read the casing on the 23's was a bit narrower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
I have clinchers.

Michael

Seems like you're thinking of "speed" purely from a rolling resistance perspective. Don't forget that a totally smooth tread like the turbo cottons will likely have a large aero penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [mepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why I'm only thinking of the turbo cottons for road bike training - a nice supple ride.
mepp wrote:
wacomme wrote:
I have clinchers.

Michael

Seems like you're thinking of "speed" purely from a rolling resistance perspective. Don't forget that a totally smooth tread like the turbo cottons will likely have a large aero penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
I wonder if continental will eventually roll out new Supersonics or TT's using the compounds used in the new GP5'ks. I am sure I read the casing on the 23's was a bit narrower.

I hope so! And meanwhile fix whatever they did to the new SS23 to make it suck...

Note to Continental: Even though you have a different tire with TT in its name, a *real* TT tire should have everything optimized for low Crr and aero, and your GPTT has an anti puncture belt and is too fat even in 23mm size. The 23mm SS is missing the anti puncture belt, but is still too fat, and more importantly has higher Crr than the GPTT! How is that possible? Different tread compound optimized for traction? What is the purpose of that tire? The 20mm SS is good oddly enough (lower Crr than the SS23), but just a little small for modern rims.

The perfect front TT tire would be the same size as the old SS23 (about 1mm wider than the new SS20), no anti puncture belt, grooves to improve airflow (like the Attack, or...?), with a tread compound optimized for low Crr.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Tires for 30-60 minute Time Trails [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
boing wrote:

I hope so! And meanwhile fix whatever they did to the new SS23 to make it suck...

Note to Continental: Even though you have a different tire with TT in its name, a *real* TT tire should have everything optimized for low Crr and aero, and your GPTT has an anti puncture belt and is too fat even in 23mm size. The 23mm SS is missing the anti puncture belt, but is still too fat, and more importantly has higher Crr than the GPTT! How is that possible? Different tread compound optimized for traction? What is the purpose of that tire? The 20mm SS is good oddly enough (lower Crr than the SS23), but just a little small for modern rims.

The perfect front TT tire would be the same size as the old SS23 (about 1mm wider than the new SS20), no anti puncture belt, grooves to improve airflow (like the Attack, or...?), with a tread compound optimized for low Crr.

Conti!!! This PLEASE! I don't even care if it is TLR!
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Jan 29, 19 15:24
Quote Reply