Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you boycott any products? [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smuckers!

Went to grad school w/ a Smuckers kid. He was an a$$hole. He was fairly down the line, but still my friends & I refused to even give him and 1/8 of a cent.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
Chic-Fil-Whatever (fast food + religion = tasteless)

My little LGBTQ activist eagerly sells out for waffle fries and frozen lemonade

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will never be able to determine the brand of the clothing I wear - I don't wish to be a billboard and I purposely shun popular/trendy brands. I sometimes ask people if they are getting royalties for wearing that t-shirt with the ridiculously huge underarmour logo (for example). Seriously, the companies should be paying YOU to advertise for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andre Bennatan wrote:
Amazon

i know one day i will not be alone. not today. one day : )

Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
+1

don't want to support near monopoly

you're not alone..

those last two links go to previous posts of mine, as to why I try not to buy anything from Amazon.

Walmart. Bezos explicitly modeled his practices on the worst of Walmart. By way of contrast, Costco pays a living wage to its employees, provides benefits, allows unions, its CEO accepts a human salary: and it outperforms Walmart on most stock market measures.
I'd rather not give any money to Walmart.

Nike - the sweatshops first got my attention, and Nike actually started to change labor practices as a result of the publicity. Then they ran the 'you don't win silver, you lose gold' ads at Atlanta Olympics. That sentiment is reprehensible at best: but particularly poignant was the first Olympic medal ever for a black South African, Hezekiel Sepeng, in the 800m. The medal was silver..
So don't buy Nike anymore. That aggressive win-at-all-costs approach characterizes Nike, and I don't care for it.

I avoid the evangelical self-styled 'Christian' shops of horror like Chick-fil-A, Hobby Lobby, etc. I try to be a Christian, and it seems to me they don't follow Christ's teachings.

of course none of this is anything more than whistling in the wind..

Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to make a short list. I'll bring up the things that irk me the most.

IM Branded Foster Grant Sunglasses - yes now I don't buy anything M-Dot branded.

Yes any company with an elitist attitude

Yes any company that smugly pushes a holier than thou Christian agenda.

Nike - glorify reckless alpha male/female athletes = profit. Pull plug when athlete gets busted for really bad things.

Yes any company that leaves a wake of disaster and waste all under (doing for people and the environment)

Any "Race/Walk for (insert and cancer or disease name here)" all your money goes into the big carnival they put on. No one is curing diabetes or cancer renting out a baseball stadium with pony rides and a snow cone truck.

Any new gig/sharing economy platforms. There is a reason the workforce of generations past fought for rights and there are regulations to protect us. I'm not contributing the desperation economics (yes master I'll deliver your whopper for 5 cents pick me pick me)

Amazon - 8 million diesel trucks running around delivering boxes of air space to every address on earth - yay!

Recycling - I worked for a recycling company for 10 years. we are not saving the planet running 8 million diesel trucks picking up empty containers of air and time and energy and CO2 recycling said garbage. Probably Aluminum is the only one worth it. Rest is glorified overhyped expensive trash pickup. We imagine our carboard gets turned into an Amazon box -- it doesn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Me and MANY other alumni have this "mental issue." It's not a disorder. And I'd say it's probably much less fanatical than people who are the "Number 1 Fan!" of any college or pro sports team, with all that entails. Consider those who risk life and limb to watch pro football in outdoor stadiums in January snow storms. Emory competes in Division III athletics, and other than being ambivalent to WashU, Kenyon, or Williams sports teams, that's all we've got. Who cares about the Bears, the Lords and Ladies, or the Ephs, when we've got Pepsi to hate?

I don't even drink much soda any more. I just definitely wouldn't touch a Pepsi under all conceivable circumstances. Being stranded in the desert, I'd have to be ASSURED that I'd live after drinking a Pepsi, just so I could spend the rest of my life doing my penance.

I forgot to mention that I'd rather pass out and have to be taken to medical before I'd drink pickle juice. 140triwife is of the same opinion.

I used to work for Pepsi across much of their global network and tbh it was a great company. I enjoyed it. They owned a lot of other brands such as crisps and snacks as well. There was one particular business unit though who were such a load of absolute bell ends that for 2 years i refused to touch any of their products, despite having a staff shop in the building where we could get tons of the stuff for next to nothing.. I never drank the Pepsi though as i just don't drink sugary crap, ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Me and MANY other alumni have this "mental issue." It's not a disorder. And I'd say it's probably much less fanatical than people who are the "Number 1 Fan!" of any college or pro sports team, with all that entails. Consider those who risk life and limb to watch pro football in outdoor stadiums in January snow storms. Emory competes in Division III athletics, and other than being ambivalent to WashU, Kenyon, or Williams sports teams, that's all we've got. Who cares about the Bears, the Lords and Ladies, or the Ephs, when we've got Pepsi to hate?

I don't even drink much soda any more. I just definitely wouldn't touch a Pepsi under all conceivable circumstances. Being stranded in the desert, I'd have to be ASSURED that I'd live after drinking a Pepsi, just so I could spend the rest of my life doing my penance.

I forgot to mention that I'd rather pass out and have to be taken to medical before I'd drink pickle juice. 140triwife is of the same opinion.

This is all childish irrational nonsense, but worse it's also a dangerous mindset. Tribalism for the sake of it. "Hate" for no reason.
Taking pride in hate makes your mentality/personality highly questionable.
Having no rational reason for that hate and thinking that the fact others like you feel the same way justifies it DOES make it a "mental issue".

This mentality, which unfortunately is not unique to you, is what makes all forms of cruelty, discrimination and basic denial of reality such a major problem. I really don't care whether you like or drink Pepsi or Coke or any other product. I do care that you are intentionally engaging in mindless groupthink. Because it makes you and your fellows a very serious problem for society as a whole.

You are the mindless mob. Easily bought by those with the means and an agenda.
You can easily be shaped to deny climate change, engage in religious or nationalistic fanaticism, and support all sorts of other ridiculous but lethal pretences.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jan 25, 19 2:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything labeled 'organic' or 'non-GMO' or 'natural' in aid of a sales pitch. Because science. And companies that push regressive Left/SJW views. Because I like to keep it real.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, DOCTOR. I'll be sure to swallow my pride now that you've taken so much of your valuable time, and your obviously superior education and intellect, to excoriate me for a preference I have for a sugary beverage. Where do I send my payment for services, and do you accept health insurance?

While my posts on this subject are very tongue-in-cheek, I accept that it is hard to convey some forms of humor over written messaging. Quite obviously, my posts didn't go over really well, not that I care all that much. And it is even harder for the chronically humorless and uptight busybodies to UNDERSTAND this form of humor, and to refrain from adding their two cents of moral superiority. To be clear, I won't drink Pepsi on purpose, but I'd obviously guzzle it if life depended on it. I'm glad I live in a time and place where I have that kind of choice, or even the choice not to drink diabetes-causing drinks. But also to be clear: I think that the vigor of your response says much more about you than it does me. Get it together.

For the record, my triggered associate, I am quite a critical thinker, which means that I completely agree that climate change is real and devastating, that science shines a light on the darkness of superstition and societal mind control, I left religion long ago, I am an anti-nationalist, and the only "tribes" I belong to are those that believe in the dignity and humanity of all people. I don't watch sports on TV and don't care about fanaticism, though I do own replica football jerseys for the Spanish and German federations, which were gifts, and which are a recognition of my Spanish and German ancestry. I even have a football jersey for a team in Spain, which shares the same name as my family surname. I eagerly await your analysis of these possessions.

I don't like pepsi and I hate pickles. That's all there is. I'm sorry I wasted your time. Go get a massage or smoke a joint or do some mindfulness breathing and chill out, FFS.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walmart, Home Depot, Lucas Oil, Chick-fil-a, Wells Fargo Bank, Hobby Lobby, Whole Foods. The owners are jerks, they don't get my money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BP
Exxon
and now Gillette
plus a few others I've probably forgotten over the years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pknight wrote:
Not trying to name and shame here, but are you currently boycotting any companies or product for the following reasons?

-Actions of their parent company (don't want to turn this into a political circle jerk).
-Poor customer service/warranty experience in the past
-Poor product reliability
-Poor product value. Maybe you refuse to buy another product of theirs that is more of a "loss leader"

About to end a boycott myself over a poor warranty experience. I figure the new product is a leader in its category and there has probably been full turnover within the company with whoever dealt with my case

In the end, ultimately it probably makes sense to buy what gives you the best value. Ie: I don't agree with what Vista Brands donates to, but from an environmental and economic standpoint, I think less Camelbaks have made their way to the landfill due to leaking than comparable hydration bladders.

I need to add one to my previous list: Synergy Wetsuits. I got a swimskin from them, had some sizing and chafing troubles and received zero support. They responded to the first of my emails, then refused to answer the next 3 or 4. I'm way more pissed about the disrespect than I am about the fitment problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you accept your humour didn't work in this medium, but still spend the rest of the post blaming me for taking your post literally.

I dud take your post literally and make no apology for that. It was NOT clear that it was intended as satire, and still isn't. The guy you presented yourself as, deserved that response. Such people unfortunately do exist in large numbers. If that's not who you are, great.

Your response to my reply is plenty questionable itself, but who knows, maybe you're kidding....
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Andre Bennatan wrote:
Amazon

i know one day i will not be alone. not today. one day : )

Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
+1

don't want to support near monopoly

you're not alone..

those last two links go to previous posts of mine, as to why I try not to buy anything from Amazon.

Walmart. Bezos explicitly modeled his practices on the worst of Walmart. By way of contrast, Costco pays a living wage to its employees, provides benefits, allows unions, its CEO accepts a human salary: and it outperforms Walmart on most stock market measures.
I'd rather not give any money to Walmart.

Nike - the sweatshops first got my attention, and Nike actually started to change labor practices as a result of the publicity. Then they ran the 'you don't win silver, you lose gold' ads at Atlanta Olympics. That sentiment is reprehensible at best: but particularly poignant was the first Olympic medal ever for a black South African, Hezekiel Sepeng, in the 800m. The medal was silver..
So don't buy Nike anymore. That aggressive win-at-all-costs approach characterizes Nike, and I don't care for it.

I avoid the evangelical self-styled 'Christian' shops of horror like Chick-fil-A, Hobby Lobby, etc. I try to be a Christian, and it seems to me they don't follow Christ's teachings.

of course none of this is anything more than whistling in the wind..

You said it - so much better than I did.

Yes as a 90's teen I was a mindless slave to Nike. By 2005? the first Under Armor ads had me laughing.
Their marketing does well playing into that primitive brain that by using their products we suddenly transform into muscled up Adonis "warriors" making threating statements.
http://www.quickmeme.com/p/3vn337

And yes that Mantra - win at all costs.

Just do it, Just do what!? - trip your opponent? Cut the course? Do a doping plan? what the heck......

Remember the Lance Armstrong "What am I on" commercial?

I had to come back to this thread. The girlfriend had to buy something from the Nike outlook store, the huge posters on the wall. Black-n-white dimly lit photos of professional athletes with "I'll kick your @ss" stare down poses"

Annoying - but great comic relief.

R
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Dynastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muck boots ever since they donate to the anti-hunting campaign. Under armor ever since they gave into the anti-hunters that through a fit over the guy killing a bear with a spear.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker wrote:
You will never be able to determine the brand of the clothing I wear - I don't wish to be a billboard and I purposely shun popular/trendy brands. I sometimes ask people if they are getting royalties for wearing that t-shirt with the ridiculously huge underarmour logo (for example). Seriously, the companies should be paying YOU to advertise for them.

Exactly, very well said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wattie Ink

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKEA - I got lost in there the one and only time I went in. Plus it smelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Related:
Any Jack Caress event. Not much of a problem these days, but from the LA Tri taking 6 hours to transport T1 gear to the finish/bike stacking debacle to the Catalina Tri bike putting 900 cyclists of all abilities on a 3 mile by 3 loop route with one traffic lane wide (including an out and back up a 2% incline so you had newbies paperboying their way up playing chicken with pros coming back at 40+ mph) to blowing the permits to the Newport Beach Tri to a lot of other examples that have been posted on here.

Nike/Adidas. Just think their products suck. Have had ones from each that have fallen apart prematurely. Many superior brands (Asics, Brooks, Hoka, Saucony, etc).

On Principal:
BP. Covered already, just adding on.

Personal hatred:
American Airlines. Few years ago was flying out on StL. Put us on an MD-80. Even a few years ago, how is that still in service? Engine fan blew on take off after we got maybe 500 ft up. Made it back without incident, but using that old of a plane, having that poor of maintenance and just blowing it off.

Panera. Replaced an Oggis (beer/pizza) that was across the street from my condo. Lost my hangout/dinner option for those nights I was too lazy to cook and/or clean before company came over. Not even Panera's fault; was the landlord, but I still blame them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boyer's Coffee. It is just nasty. They sell it at WalMart. On the same level as the stuff you'd get on a backroad gas station that has been sitting all day growing in a pot that has never been cleaned. Avoid Boyer's.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [csdavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
csdavis wrote:
Tri Related:
Any Jack Caress event. Not much of a problem these days, but from the LA Tri taking 6 hours to transport T1 gear to the finish/bike stacking debacle to the Catalina Tri bike putting 900 cyclists of all abilities on a 3 mile by 3 loop route with one traffic lane wide (including an out and back up a 2% incline so you had newbies paperboying their way up playing chicken with pros coming back at 40+ mph) to blowing the permits to the Newport Beach Tri to a lot of other examples that have been posted on here.

Nike/Adidas. Just think their products suck. Have had ones from each that have fallen apart prematurely. Many superior brands (Asics, Brooks, Hoka, Saucony, etc).

On Principal:
BP. Covered already, just adding on.

Personal hatred:
American Airlines. Few years ago was flying out on StL. Put us on an MD-80. Even a few years ago, how is that still in service? Engine fan blew on take off after we got maybe 500 ft up. Made it back without incident, but using that old of a plane, having that poor of maintenance and just blowing it off.

Panera. Replaced an Oggis (beer/pizza) that was across the street from my condo. Lost my hangout/dinner option for those nights I was too lazy to cook and/or clean before company came over. Not even Panera's fault; was the landlord, but I still blame them.

Yes Jack Caress, I mean wow how many times can you be the "helpless victim" canceling races a few days before and its always that darn cities fault, or that darn police department, or that darn fire department...……………….
The last 5 years his story has been like a Scooby Do episode or a Simpsons Episode "Well... if it wasn't for that meddling city the race would have gone on" DUDE JUST STOP!!!

I did Catalina Triathlon 2006-2007 and never went back because of that insane bike course idea. I think there was an ambulance both years. Is Pacific Sports LLC completely defunct now?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Stafford Brown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cant stand anything Garmin. I wont do Jimmy Johns or Chick fillet. Even as a gun owner the NRA is a joke. and the orange man in the white house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% will never purchase a product from Nike again.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [doingthethings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeungling beer. Used to be my go to cheap beer. Keep your mouth shut and out of politics and just sell beer please.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I boycott anyone who sponsored him.

How do you managage to boycott USPS?

I assume you bash your own mailbox.
Quote Reply

Prev Next