Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Broken di2
Quote | Reply
I am running the new dura ace di2 set up on my road bike, with the internal caballing through the handlebars. I have used previous di2 systems and have never had a problem like this before.

I came down in a crash yesterday, over the handlebars, and since then both my front and rear mechs have refused to shift. I tried crash recovery mode but this was unsuccessful. I then tried to connect my bike to my laptop to use the E-tube software to see if this revealed anything but it told me I had to update certain components. I allowed it to do this however the update failed and since then the problems just seem to have become worse.

The junction box now no longer lights up at all, and the laptop doesn't recognise my bike. I tried disconnecting the battery and all the individual components and plugging them back in to see if this did anything and it worked partially, but still wouldn't find the right hand shifter despite me double and triple checking that everything was connected properly.

I tried to isolate the shifter and the laptop started being unable to find the bike at all again, and it remained that way even when I reconnected all of the other components. It cannot even find the battery or the junction box.

Please would anyone who knows about di2 respond to this with suggestions of what to do as I am out of ideas and there are no local bike shops who are able to do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken di2 [izzyyelliss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
W/r to the crash, have you checked the e-tube wires at the brifters? The plugs can sometimes pull loose depending on how they are fed thru the bar or under the bar tape. If these weren’t disconnected for your test, make sure they have been clicked solidly into the shifter ports.

On the firmware updates, if you have the new Bluetooth battery and one of the D-Fly units in the system,the D-Fly component can only be updated using the Shimano E-TUBE wireless app. I’ve seen this return a failure before or after the other components update.

Seems like the junction a should be findable with the E-TUBE software regardless of the other components. I assume you are using the internal battery charger for E-TUBE software connection? If you can get access to the pce1 tester it allows checking and updating individual components.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You said you tried isolating components. That sounds like the right idea. Something is busted somewhere.

I would:
  1. pull the battery and A junction. Connect only those two together with a single wire. (inspect the wire for breaks) Let it charge for awhile in a USB power plug before hooking it up to the computer. Try to update the battery if necessary. Disconnect from the computer.
  2. connect one more thingie (RD, FD, left or right brifter) at a time with an inspected wire, not one from the handlebar...obviously those are suspect. Connect to computer, attempt to update. Disconnect that thingie.
  3. repeat step 2 till all are done.
  4. connect everything back with the installed wires. Try connecting again to computer...any issues? If not, disconnect. Try to shift.

So, if you can't even get through step 1, you may have bricked the battery. I think there is a recovery protocol for that. It might require the PCE1.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It is possible the components have gone into crash/recovery protection and you'll need to access crash/recovery mode.

First check components for damage, make sure there isn't any. Essentially you hold down the junction box button for 5 sec until red light shows, simultaneously spin the crank, the DI2 should then automatically move up and down the cassette. On completion the DI2 will auto take itself out of the crash/recovery mode.

Here' s UTube vid which may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUkKqNN7HVI
Quote Reply