Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

COROS gps watches
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there have a COROS watch? Especially the new apex? I’ve seen good things said about the previous generation pace by various reviewers, DC Rainmaker being among them. But I’d like to see how these are operating out in the wild as well. I’m looking to buy a new watch after bonuses and taxes get in.

For those unfamiliar it has 35 hours gps life, oHR, Multisport mode, and all 3 sports indoor and outdoor. Maps/breadcrumbs , and sapphire glass. Basic smartphone notifications and fitness tracking. It does not have other sports. BLE and I “think” ANT+ but don’t quote me on that last one. It has all that recovery jazz too.

Price point for the larger watch $350.

To me it seems like the “way out” of the Garmin universe many have been looking for. I want the big battery life, oHR, phone updates, and activity tracking but could care less about some of the fancier O2 sensors, gold swing, and Alpine skiing apps.

Might take the risk but I hate to drop $350 just to come crawling back to Garmin and their evil empire of forcing hundreds of apps for sports o don’t participate in for a triathlon watch...

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Anyone out there have a COROS watch? Especially the new apex?

I own the 42mm Apex and have been using it daily for about 6 weeks. I'm generally happy with it. Feel free to ask specific questions.

Jloewe wrote:
I’ve seen good things said about the previous generation pace by various reviewers, DC Rainmaker being among them.

5krunner has a review and a discussion forum.

Jloewe wrote:
BLE and I “think” ANT+ but don’t quote me on that last one.

Bluetooth only for communication with a phone; it doesn't support BLE sensors (e.g. power meters) currently. It does support ANT+ for common sensors (heart rate and power). Currently no support for ANT+ foot pods.

Jloewe wrote:
Price point for the larger watch $350.

$300 for the 42mm version which has slightly less (but still amazing) battery life.

Jloewe wrote:
I want the big battery life, oHR, phone updates, and activity tracking but could care less about some of the fancier O2 sensors, gold swing, and Alpine skiing apps.

The Apex would seem to check all your boxes, but I'd note that oHR may or may not work well for you. It seems to vary quite a bit by individual (regardless of the watch brand). In my case the Apex oHR isn't accurate enough for running workouts, so I use a chest strap. (Heart rate is important data for training and recovery status, so if you don't have accurate heart rate data, you can't really use those features.) The issue is not unique to Coros. The Suunto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR is even worse for me.

Edited to Add:

I'll probably jinx myself with this edit, but I got lazy on a recent run and didn't bother with the chest strap. The results were actually pretty good, so I tried a few more runs with the optical HR. It hasn't been flawless, but I'm no longer convinced the optical HR is significantly worse that a chest strap. (With chest straps, I still get a few anomalous spikes at the start of most workouts.) Fingers crossed this performance continues.
Last edited by: sathomasga: Jan 22, 19 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you excellent response and exactly what I was hoping to hear.

A couple specific, almost silly questions.

I’m a medium built man, which means I’m much broader and shorter than most in a sport full with guys three feet taller than me and 40lbs lighter. Will the 42 look too feminine?

I perfectly understand the HR strap deal. Last year my Garmin hard strap finally died, and while I always intended to replace it never got around to it since my VAHR seemed to work fine last year, especially for steady state but it seems worthless for intervals and anything high intensity. Although because of injury I didn’t run much. How’s the connectivity to a 3rd party strap? It shouldn’t technically matter but which strap are you currently using?

Have you had a chance to use it in the pool yet? How’s the swim function been?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I’m a medium built man, which means I’m much broader and shorter than most in a sport full with guys three feet taller than me and 40lbs lighter. Will the 42 look too feminine?

Beats me. Personally, I detest huge watch faces like the Fenix (not S) or the full-size Suuntos, so I much prefer the smaller 42mm. FWIW, the larger size Apple Watch was 42mm for series 0, 1, 2, and 3. Unless they've changed it, Coros had a 30-day unconditional guarantee when ordered directly from their web site. So you could try it and see.

Jloewe wrote:
How’s the connectivity to a 3rd party strap? It shouldn’t technically matter but which strap are you currently using?

No problems. I've used both the Wahoo TICKR and the PowerTap PowerCal.

Jloewe wrote:
Have you had a chance to use it in the pool yet? How’s the swim function been?

Yes. Works mostly fine, though the oHR is challenging. I only swim freestyle so I have no idea about stroke detection. (Though, the fact that it correctly labels my stroke as freestyle is an improvement over Polar and Garmin.) One nice feature is if you set a distance alert, the value for that setting is in lengths rather than, e.g. yards or meters. The watch then vibrates in the middle of that length. So for example, if you set a distance alert for 80 lengths, you get the vibration after you start, but before you finish, the 80th length. (Compare with, for example, the Apple Watch where you can set an alert for 2000 yards that only vibrates after you've swam the distance and already started on the next lap.)

Since Strava's not very informative for swim workouts, here's what the Coros iOS app shows:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another question but perhaps a less important one. How is the step counting and activity tracking on it? Especially the total calories burned a day function. My VAHR seems to be OK but often in my narrow house I’ll walk across the house three times and get no steps registered. Again one of the least important functions of the watch, but if that’s good I don’t see any justification for me to spend more on a Garmin given the information I have.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Another question but perhaps a less important one. How is the step counting and activity tracking on it? Especially the total calories burned a day function. My VAHR seems to be OK but often in my narrow house I’ll walk across the house three times and get no steps registered. Again one of the least important functions of the watch, but if that’s good I don’t see any justification for me to spend more on a Garmin given the information I have.

I guess it works okay. I don't pay much attention to steps or activity tracking. Here's an example day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty decent from what I can tell by looking at the data. Just as long as the tracking isn’t junk as I use it for weight loss.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a great watch, i just like almost everything from it. But the OHR is mwah, for me at least. But to be honest better then my 935. But if i want HR i use a chest strap anyway.

What i really like the easy way of setiing datafields and screens through the app, much like on wahoo bike computers and also that you can choose your background colour to light with dark digits or the other way around. Amd if you like per sport differently.

And what really sets them apart so far is the responsiveness on their fb page if running into a problem or if you need help with something. And they really listen to suggestions from users as well.

And, but i have to double check, i think you can use a bike powe meter with it.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
And, but i have to double check, i think you can use a bike powe[r] meter with it.

Yes, so long as it's ANT+, which is the case for most (all?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question than as somewhere it said iPhone/phone compatbile? Is that you can see an incoming call/text/ notification like on the Garmin but just not be able to reply (which is just fine) or no updates from your phone. I do like that now in my Fenix5 , seeing notifications.. thanks to whomever can share that info with me
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beaker wrote:
My question than as somewhere it said iPhone/phone compatbile? Is that you can see an incoming call/text/ notification like on the Garmin but just not be able to reply (which is just fine) or no updates from your phone. I do like that now in my Fenix5 , seeing notifications.. thanks to whomever can share that info with me

Yes. The watch displays incoming text messages, calls, and other notifications from an iPhone. (It also vibrates.)
Last edited by: sathomasga: Jan 8, 19 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/reply]Shout to to DC Rainmaker on a possible in depth review of the Pace and/or Apex? I’ve seen some good things here in DC post about COROS but with some caveats as always. Would like more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's definitely tempting. I have a garmin 920 apps in the connect iq store are of little interest to me. I'm just wondering how the coros can manage the crazy long battery life compared to garmin watches.
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
it's definitely tempting. I have a garmin 920 apps in the connect iq store are of little interest to me. I'm just wondering how the coros can manage the crazy long battery life compared to garmin watches.

That’s what makes it so tempting. COROS and 35 hours!! For $350!!! It’s like someone was reading my mind when I said I only wanted the Tri features and F’ everything else. Put a massive battery life on there, syncs with Strava, and make it cheap.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
mickison wrote:

That’s what makes it so tempting. COROS and 35 hours!! For $350!!! It’s like someone was reading my mind when I said I only wanted the Tri features and F’ everything else. Put a massive battery life on there, syncs with Strava, and make it cheap.

agree. I don't ever use the advanced features. training I just track my swims and runs. I don't use watch for the bike. and racing I use it for all 3 legs (still use bike computer) but once I get to the run I need it for pacing there and I want to know my overall time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely post. I have been looking for a new watch and this ticks all the boxes.

Anyone know how accurate the open water swim is?
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to DC Rainmaker his review of the Apex comes out next week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
According to DC Rainmaker his review of the Apex comes out next week.

I honestly don't know of a watch that does what the Apex does in the same price range. Not sure I even need a review...

It seems if you want open water swimming and triathlon feature you have to pay for a $600+ watch and they are all MASSIVE on my small wrists.
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
mickison wrote:

agree. I don't ever use the advanced features. training I just track my swims and runs. I don't use watch for the bike. and racing I use it for all 3 legs (still use bike computer) but once I get to the run I need it for pacing there and I want to know my overall time.

I’m in the same boat, the Apex rules. It should deserve some more attention and the turn know takes a few runs/time to get used to but once you get the sense for it it is just a great watch for that price

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The website make for a very good read. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the field. One of my big beefs with Garmin is that they, like many others, are adding too much 'fluff' at the expense of their core. I get that there are lots of people doing lots of different things, but trying to cram it all into one watch is not necessarily the best way to go.

For me, the best watch Garmin had for a long while for triathletes was/is the 920XT. Sure some people didn't like the form factor, but the feature list was just what was needed. I like the 935, but this is where they've started to add a lot of extra fluff.

It's actually quite hard to differentiate between Garmin offerings nowadays. Is the 935 the triathlete's watch or is it the Vivoactive n, Fenix...? Garmin has the capacity to very easily compete with the COROS with price and features. It'll be interesting to see what they do next year when one would expect a replacement for the 935 to appear.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Jan 22, 19 14:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
mickison wrote:

Honestly, I'm not sure the need to pay for the extra 10 hours of battery life unless you are some hardcore ultra runner.

I charge my current watch at least once a week and before a big event and I think it only goes about 10 hours tops.
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
The website make for a very good read. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the field. One of my big beefs with Garmin is that they, like many others, are adding too much 'fluff' at the expense of their core. I get that there are lots of people doing lots of different things, but trying to cram it all into one watch is not necessarily the best way to go.

For me, the best watch Garmin had for a long while for triathletes was/is the 920XT. Sure some people didn't like the form factor, but the feature list was just what was needed. I like the 935, but this is where they've started to add a lot of extra fluff.

It's actually quite hard to differentiate between Garmin offerings nowadays. Is the 935 the triathlete's watch or is it the Vivoactive n, Fenix...? Garmin has the capacity to very easily compete with the COROS with price and features. It'll be interesting to see what they do next year when one would expect a replacement for the 935 to appear.

Most of those features you describe are just software updates. I'm convinced the 735XT and the 235 are essentially the same watch running slightly different firmware.

As far as a triathletes watch -- depends what you want. I got the 735 because I wanted to have planned swim workouts. Otherwise, my 230 I had before it did everything I needed and the features I didn't have could often be added via ConnectIQ.

I'm glad to see more competitors in the market. Garmin's had a stronghold on the market for too long and their prices on their watches for a given feature set are high.
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [caverunner17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the Apex for a 9 mile run and a few days last week. Form factor is perfect- same size as the middle fenix- and I liked the scroll wheel. I did have a few spots on the run where the wrist HR dropped out completely, and I generally have great luck with wrist HR, but the general HR, mileage, elevation matched my fenix 3 pretty well. And the battery life is excellent. It lost maybe 2% per day with daily wear.

I did return it, partly because I wasn't sure when the navigation stuff would be coming, but mostly I missed some of the granularity of adjustment on the fenix. For example, on the Apex, the backlight is just there, with a wrist turn. On the fenix 3, I can adjust the brightness, how long it stays on, whether it turns on with a button or wrist turn. I also missed the IQ store watch faces. But all the functions it has, work great.
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:

I honestly don’t know what to do with 90% of the features Garmin provides.
Quote Reply
Re: COROS gps watches [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered the 42mm version. As long as the gps is accurate and it has the data fields I’m used to I think I’ll be okay with it. Even if it’s not perfect I’ll like having the oHR.
Quote Reply