Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 21 Edition (MLK day)
Quote | Reply
Happy MLK day!
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 21 Edition (MLK day) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday Ladies! I hope everyone gets a chance to reflect on the mission and teachings of Dr. King today and implement his strength and positivity to help others. MLK day in high school and college was always a day of service and volunteering for us, and that lesson for this day has stuck with me after all these years.

Last week was week one of a build block, and I managed to absolutely NAIL all of my workouts. I haven't felt this good in a while. I ran and rode with my tri team this weekend, and even though I'm the new kid at school with these people (some of them are world champions, no big, haha, oh dear lord I feel so small) they are all so warm and inviting and amazing.

This week's goal: Another ladle of awesomesauce to nail this week's workouts.

M- rest (nailed it!)
Tu- 3000yd swim, 60min Zwift, strength
W- 7mi run
Th- team track workout (at holyballsitsearly o'clock, I am half worried I'm going to wake up halfway through my first interval), 50min Zwift, strength
F- 1900yd swim, 4mi run
Sa- 55mi ride and 20min brick. Before getting on a plane to Naples, FL to see my in-laws. Whee!
Su- 15mi run and whatever I feel like for a swim (mayyybe open water in the Gulf if everything cooperates?)

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 21 Edition (MLK day) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dr TC, thanks for getting us started. How was your week?

Before I launch into my recap, could all the womens give my other half's post on the main forum a peek? Thanks, you are contributing significantly to *my* mental wellness by helping him finish off his MBA.

I think my goals were something like swim x 4, bike x 3, run x 3, xc ski x 1, strength x 2? I did all of that except one strength session. This week is very similar. I have been bad recently and haven't taken complete rest days. I need to get back to doing that but the weather always seems really nice on my rest day and I land up outside (or it's terrible and I land up shovelling snow).

This week's challenge is having my first appointment with a new dental hygienist because my old one left the practice.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Jan 22, 19 4:24
Re: How was your week? Jan. 21 Edition (MLK day) [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week: at least 1 day off from running (doing it today, and surprised to be enjoying it!), swim a couple times, some hip exercises every day (today's done), bike at least once

goals met!

M: 4 mi walk + 2225 yd swim
T: 4.6 mi run + 2250 yd swim
W: 10 mi run
T: 31 mi bike
F: 5.1 mi run + 1225 yd swim
S: 13 mi run
S: 9.3 mi bike

totals 5600 yd swim, 40.3 mi bike, 32.7 mi run. Did hip exercises most days, too :-)

goals for this week: at least one day off from running, do long run outside, lift heavy things a couple times, swim 5x (1 done)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 21 Edition (MLK day) [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This week's challenge is having my first appointment with a new dental hygienist because my old one left the practice.

It's always annoying to have to get used to new healthcare people.

My healthcare challenge this week was the flu shot I just got. I think I should get the rest of the day off. Humph. AND I was not given a sticker, lollipop, or popsicle. I forgot to ask for one... obviously these should be given automatically, regardless of age.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 21 Edition (MLK day) [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s, congrats on the race improvement.

running for a charity is great motivation!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

My healthcare challenge this week was the flu shot I just got. I think I should get the rest of the day off. Humph. AND I was not given a sticker, lollipop, or popsicle. I forgot to ask for one... obviously these should be given automatically, regardless of age.

You should be asking for tomorrow off instead, because this year's vaccine is making people feel like ass warmed over. Glad you got it though! I will send you a lollipop if you'd like :)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 21 Edition (MLK day) [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

You should be asking for tomorrow off instead, because this year's vaccine is making people feel like ass warmed over. Glad you got it though! I will send you a lollipop if you'd like :)

I'm not sure if I'm glad you told me that or not. Fortunately I only have one commitment tomorrow and can stay home for most of the day if needed. I'm kind of a baby... but really, wouldn't more people get flu shots if they could have a day off from work as a reward? I think I have a solution to a global health issue here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my flu shot back in October and don't remember it being too bad this year. We must get the same one in North America, right?

(And thanks for the bump over on the main page.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
I had my flu shot back in October and don't remember it being too bad this year. We must get the same one in North America, right?

Mine was fine too. And the kids had ZERO effects (lucky kids).

Not sure if Canada and the US have the same version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik - nice work getting after your goals.
Nice work nailing your workouts, Dr_Cupcake -- and safe travels.
Scheherazade, I checked out the post -- good luck to him. Good work training and remembering the importance of r&r.
Congratulations Anna s, great work on your PR and great cause.

I was in Colorado for a long weekend of skate skiing, snowy trail running, and even snowy swimming (in a heated outdoor pool). It was wonderful and I was so happy to be in the mountains and enjoying some real winter. I was pretty toasted by the time I flew home so today's a complete rest day before the year's first real structured training week -- 4 swims, 4 bikes, and 4 runs. I guess it's time to get back to work.

Happy training y'all!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:

After some cursory research, it looks like Canada gets Fluzone as their sole manufacturer product, where there are four manufacturer products available in the US (one of them is Fluzone). So maybe it does vary depending on venue for vaccination and availability throughout our country. I know I was whooped with malaise and a sore arm the day or so after mine in October, and several other people I spoke to throughout the country said the same thing. Y'all got lucky :)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 21 Edition (MLK day) [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very interesting; I had no idea there were different companies making the vaccine, and different vaccines.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It makes sense that there may be different vaccines that cover different clades of influenza virus (like, if you see H1N3 vs H2N5, those are different clades based on variable proteins found on the viruses). Flu vaccines are created based on historical seasonal infections, virus origins and high density travel lanes, and a few other factors. As a random example, there may be way more people traveling from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc to places like Alberta and Ontario than the United States (it's the reason why SARS was a massive issue in Canada and only really a threat/scare here in the US). Their influenzae are different from what we experience here, with virus clades potentially from Europe or the Americas being the dominant causes of infection. We also look at the mutation rates for these different clades because copy editing for any virus is terrible, and what used to be one virus could look significantly different to the immune system several years later.

Okay, I'm gonna hide now. This is my fun forum, not my work forum :p

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, all! I had an OK week. A lot of little annoyances popped up but I managed one workout every day except Wednesday. I am making an effort to get to bed earlier, which is going pretty well so far, except it is frustrating not being able to get those little things done in the evenings (the ones that keep me from going to bed early!). It was a good week for running, logging 21 miles in three runs, a decent speed run, and a "long" run of 8 miles that I did on the treadmill because it felt like -10 F (-23 C) or something ridiculous on Sunday. Yesterday wind chills were -18 when I took the dogs out; this morning it was a wind chill of 0 and I actually thought, oh, it's not that bad out today.

I don't really have any goals this week except I'm overdue to retest my FTP so I will try to do that this week. I also want to add another mile to my weekend run. It's supposed to be bitter cold for the next couple of weeks at least, waaahhh waaaahhh wahhh, although it is looking nice enough tomorrow to sneak in an outdoor run if I can time it right after work. I finally went to barre yesterday after not even looking at a weight since, ahem, my New Year's Day barre class so at least I am doing something resembling the occasional weight workout.

For what it's worth I didn't have any reaction to the flu shot this season and I have had bad reactions before. In fact this season I waited to get it until a Friday evening so I could lay in bed all the next day if necessary, but I just had a bit of arm tenderness, no biggie.

I work at a university and the students are doing service projects all week. Very cool to see the next generation so active and engaged in the community. (Sure, some of them do it for class, but still.)

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, late to the party this weeK.
Quote:
This week- Zwift 3x (maybe bike outside 1 day, if not raining) run 2x ??(Tuesday track workout cancelled due to flooding of the track lights), swim 2x.
Only Zwift 2x, swam 1x+ swim clinic (1 rainy swim, & 1-beautiful weather swim Saturday), ran 1x.

This week’s goals: Zwift 2x, Bike outside 1x, swim 2x, run 2x. Working a swim meet Sunday, and newbie triathlon clinic on Saturday (brick workout), went to Disneyland 1x.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply