Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"people who drink a lot of coffee tend to live longer than people who drink moderately or sparsely."
Quote | Reply
https://www.inc.com/...YTznNC5Jn9DsO9rOoaV0

Great news!

"Let's be clear on this point: What the research shows is a correlation, not a causal connection. It's possible that people drink more coffee because their lifestyle is generally more healthy, hence they live longer. Possible but not likely, though, considering the wealth of other evidence confirming that drinking coffee results in:
  • A 20% reduced risk of cancer.
  • A 20% reduced risk of Type 2 diabetes.
  • A 30% reduced risk of Parkinson's disease.
  • A 5% reduced risk of heart disease."
Quote Reply
Re: "people who drink a lot of coffee tend to live longer than people who drink moderately or sparsely." [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree it's good news, but weird quoted language that first advocates then dismisses correlation over causation.
Quote Reply
Re: "people who drink a lot of coffee tend to live longer than people who drink moderately or sparsely." [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news...as I sit and sip on my afternoon cup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two to four cups of 8oz/day? Sweet, I'm already there

https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/coffee-fights-disease-extends-your-life-especially-if-you-drink-it-this-way.html

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m gonna live to be 150
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes in my ore-daen trainer rides, I put coffee in my water bottles. It makes me happy.

I am an oddball that likes a cup right before bed, too. It relaxes me.
Quote Reply
Re: "people who drink a lot of coffee tend to live longer than people who drink moderately or sparsely." [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I am an oddball that likes a cup right before bed, too. It relaxes me.

I can't get to sleep without it. I have a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Gary.

Going with high volume, strong and long with my coffee consumption! Planning on living to 100! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all you coffee nuts, here's a bunch more positive info for your caffeine fueled workouts:

https://www.youtube.com/...wr1tj8sc0iLpZwriMRt3

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things are looking good for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And here I was thinking I should probably cut back on my coffee. Maybe I need to throttle up to two pots a day instead. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, we caffiends don't live longer, we just get more done.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: "people who drink a lot of coffee tend to live longer than people who drink moderately or sparsely." [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Thanks, Gary.

Going with high volume, strong and long with my coffee consumption! Planning on living to 100! :-)

Sure Steve! I'm with all of you. A good strong pot is on most of the day.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing that only applies to regular coffee drinkers.
I'm probably the exception here, but my coffee consumption is limited to one espresso a day. I will sometimes have two, but any more and it begins to affect my sleep, and therefore my recovery. It also can make me jittery, and therefore less productive. Still maintaining a 45-60hr work week, and a 8-12hr training week.

My point is that coffee has negative "side-effects" associated with it don't allow it to be easily adopted. It isn't as easy as say reducing sugar consumption, or increasing the amount of green vegetables you eat.

Coming from a family that has a history of diabetes (on my maternal side), and heart disease (on my paternal side), I'd absolutely love to harness the benefits of coffee for those reasons, but I can't!
Quote Reply
Re: "people who drink a lot of coffee tend to live longer than people who drink moderately or sparsely." [stax88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stax88 wrote:
Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing that only applies to regular coffee drinkers.
I'm probably the exception here, but my coffee consumption is limited to one espresso a day. I will sometimes have two, but any more and it begins to affect my sleep, and therefore my recovery. It also can make me jittery, and therefore less productive. Still maintaining a 45-60hr work week, and a 8-12hr training week.

My point is that coffee has negative "side-effects" associated with it don't allow it to be easily adopted. It isn't as easy as say reducing sugar consumption, or increasing the amount of green vegetables you eat.

Coming from a family that has a history of diabetes (on my maternal side), and heart disease (on my paternal side), I'd absolutely love to harness the benefits of coffee for those reasons, but I can't!

From the article...
"While decaf doesn't confer ALL the health benefits of the high-test, it's confers most of them. And with craft roasteries proliferating through the civilized parts of America, it's pretty easy to get super-high-quality decaf. So there's no reason to spend the rest of your (probably now longer) life suffering from the caffeine jitters."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So my only two earthly addictions -- Triathlon and Coffee --are both actually good for me! HALLE-FREAKIING-LUJAH !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
From the article...
"While decaf doesn't confer ALL the health benefits of the high-test, it's confers most of them. And with craft roasteries proliferating through the civilized parts of America, it's pretty easy to get super-high-quality decaf. So there's no reason to spend the rest of your (probably now longer) life suffering from the caffeine jitters."

Oops... guilty of just reading the summary and not the article.

THANKS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: "people who drink a lot of coffee tend to live longer than people who drink moderately or sparsely." [stax88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stax88 wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

From the article...

Oops... guilty of just reading the summary and not the article.

THANKS!!!

You are very welcome. Glad to have helped you enjoy......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/the-more-coffee-you-drink-longer-you-live-says-huge-research-report.html?cid=sf01002&fbclid=IwAR2uY2ixzFgen4jerzbek2CGr1erYyVjS-jphlCYTznNC5Jn9DsO9rOoaV0

Great news!

"Let's be clear on this point: What the research shows is a correlation, not a causal connection. It's possible that people drink more coffee because their lifestyle is generally more healthy, hence they live longer. Possible but not likely, though, considering the wealth of other evidence confirming that drinking coffee results in:

What good are those extra years if it's offset by all the additional time spent in the bathroom?
Quote Reply
Re: "people who drink a lot of coffee tend to live longer than people who drink moderately or sparsely." [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Nah, we caffiends don't live longer, we just get more done.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know of really good decaf coffee brands/independent brewers?

Would love to share a cup of decaf in the morning while my fiancee has her fancy, french roast coffee!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I’ve been wondering about recently after having blood work done is the effect of caffeine on hemoglobin and hematocrit due to it affecting iron absorption.

I drink quite a bit of coffee and my hemoglobin and hemotcrit at at the very low end of normal. Maybe caffein has no effect on the values but maybe they do. Not sure I want to give up coffee though even if it did!

ggeiger wrote:
https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/the-more-coffee-you-drink-longer-you-live-says-huge-research-report.html?cid=sf01002&fbclid=IwAR2uY2ixzFgen4jerzbek2CGr1erYyVjS-jphlCYTznNC5Jn9DsO9rOoaV0

Great news!
Thanks, Gary Geiger!! Just remember: Correlation is not Causation...

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Jan 21, 19 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: "people who drink a lot of coffee tend to live longer than people who drink moderately or sparsely." [rossi46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know of really good decaf coffee brands/independent brewers? //

Peets dark roast is great, especially if you get it at an outlet store and have it freshly ground. Starbucks is not bad either, you can get it super cheap at Costco, and I think they even have an espresso roast now too. And if you want to save a few bucks and it becomes a monthly ritual to buy from Peets, Costco sells gift cards that are 20% off, so there is that..
Quote Reply
Re: "people who drink a lot of coffee tend to live longer than people who drink moderately or sparsely." [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I am going to be a Highlander then. . .
Quote Reply