Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The World Diet [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know I like meat, I just think it s more important to live sustainably or what is the point to have children ? What will be our legacy ? By ignoring the fact we are compromising the future for everyone not just us.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
hahaha - So I guess his 6 wins were a mistake too??
No, it just means he won in spite of his diet (at the time), not because of it.

The truly gifted genetic elites can get away with doing lots of things in a sub-optimal way and still succeed. It doesn't mean that everything they do should be applied to us mere mortals.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
Not to mention - going vegan/plant-based might just turn you into one heck of an athlete: Carl Lewis, Serena Williams, Dave Scott (vegan or vegetarian while winning Kona 6 times), Scott Jurek, strongest man in the world Patrick Baboumian, and Matt Russell. Forgot to mention the guy who broke the record at Kona last year - He's vegetarian (https://www.cnn.com/...-spt-intl/index.html)

and if you want to hang with Beyonce, don't show up to her place with hacked up dead animals - she vegan too :) :) :)

Serena has stated that being a vegan didn't work for her after she had a child.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
jarret_g wrote:
synthetic wrote:
And here we have the nail in the coffin for the pusher of this diet:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/...nd-campaign-13872067

Now do this one: https://www.theguardian.com/...id-climate-breakdown

Or this one: http://www.fao.org/.../a0701e/a0701e00.HTM

Or this one: https://www.epa.gov/...e-gas-emissions-data

Or this one: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ouse-gas-is-methane/

You have the right in 2019, pretty much no matter what your nationality is, to make your own decisions on whether you choose to adhere to these guidelines or not. But denying them or attempting to disprove them only shows your own ignorance regarding the subject.

So you ignored my post reply to Ajaj191 that we should extinct our cattle population to fix this issue - in your view. Bison and Buffalo roamed these lands before we invaded and yet climate change was not an issue. Why can't you vegans give up your fossil fueled cars?

just do like me, eat insects. the solution to all problems
you should try insect burgers
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [Ajaj191] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you're growing everything yourself, you're not really living sustainably.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some interesting stuff regarding boxing and nutrition :
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/18/vegan-boxers-diet-bryant-jennings?CMP=fb_gu
A coach that says meat is great for the athlete state that the problem with a vegan is that he "drag carbohydrate with protein" because most plant rich in protein bring carbohydrates. But for the triathlete i don't see the problem, we need the carbs anyway so why bother ? Also most of the time they have a very low IG so it's all benefit. If you plan your meal with the correct amount of protein and other nutrients, i don't see any downside.
Personaly i'm not vegan just "flexitarian", just trying to eat less meat and no red meat. I started about 2 years ago and had my best triathlon season in 6 really active year in the sport by a long shot. I'm certainly not attributing it exclusively or even at all to nutrition but i least i can say it did not hurt my performance.

About sustainablity you're thinking in absolute. I think just trying to be less of a burden for future generations is already a good start.
Last edited by: Ajaj191: Jan 20, 19 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajaj191 wrote:
Some interesting stuff regarding boxing and nutrition :
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/18/vegan-boxers-diet-bryant-jennings?CMP=fb_gu
A coach that says meat is great for the athlete state that the problem with a vegan is that he "drag carbohydrate with protein" because most plant rich in protein bring carbohydrates. But for the triathlete i don't see the problem, we need the carbs anyway so why bother ? Also most of the time they have a very low IG so it's all benefit. If you plan your meal with the correct amount of protein and other nutrients, i don't see any downside.
Personaly i'm not vegan just "flexitarian", just trying to eat less meat and no red meat. I started about 2 years ago and had my best triathlon season in 6 really active year in the sport by a long shot. I'm certainly not attributing it exclusively or even at all to nutrition but i least i can say it did not hurt my performance.

About sustainablity you're thinking in absolute. I think just trying to be less of a burden for future generations is already a good start.

another problem is people like to particularly target red meat of cattle. lets say 1 cow feeds 100 people, for its 1000lb size. you get ride of the beef, and substitute 1000lb lamb to feed 100 people. the. you have supposedly doubled methane emissions then.

https://static.ewg.org/...n_house_proteins.jpg

How about something 'healthy' like salmon? Still high on the emissions list there. The real target here should be big agriculture methods. Not a particular animal, because junk crops like rape seed, soy, palm wreak havoc on the environment too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know for lamb but there are studies to compare different meat by 100gr and red meat really fare bad. 100gr is above 20kg co2 equivalent when chicken is around 4 and blue fish around 3. So yes red is worse even if a cow feed a lot of people.
Salmon is certainly not a good solution because human growth salmon destroy ecosystem and wild ones can't be overfished. But there are other fishstock that are healthy if you are into fish. Some blue fish remain healthily abundant.
Also it is obviously much more efficient to eat plant than to eat meat that ate plant. You lose at least a factor 10 in the conversion. Definitely everything is not equal. And we don't have to "disappear". Sure there was bisons before and there is room for cows and humans. We should just show some restraint in our consumption.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My problems with this diet:

1. Beans have a high % of carbs w/ the protein
2. Most non-meat sources of protein are incomplete proteins
3. The best non-meat protein sources are very high in calories (seeds)
4. Fish - most sources say you pretty much not eat more than one piece a month... Or year (swordfish) because of Mercury.

I eat mostly veggies... Tons of veggies and eggs, but I love my meat & will not be giving it up anytime soon. However, I do love ground turkey as a substitute for beef.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
where is the proof that "red meat is essentially bad for you for so many reasons" ?

Eat lots of red meat for many years, have a colonoscopy and then you'll understand.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Denise Minger has a really good (and old) critique of 'The China Study'. I don't know that the entirety of the study shows what we think it shows.

https://deniseminger.com/the-china-study/

"Food" for thought.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
....Spreading false lies. Should we eradicate a species to protect us from climate change? Why is India so polluted yet they dont eat cow? Stop driving your car before telling me to stop eating meat
Two questions.
1. What's a false lie? Is that the truth?
2. What species are you referring to being eradicated? I seem to have missed where this is mentioned or implied.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
You keep on being a vegan, but don't push your lifestyle on the rest of us. I won't tell you to eat meat, deal?
Extremely common but childish response.
Anyone with information or even just a discussion, that doesn't sit well with your preferences is labelled as a pusher trying to interfere with your life and dismissed by pretending there's an equivalence between your choice and theirs.
That argument doesn't hold water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
another problem is people like to particularly target red meat of cattle. lets say 1 cow feeds 100 people, for its 1000lb size. you get ride of the beef, and substitute 1000lb lamb to feed 100 people. the. you have supposedly doubled methane emissions then.

https://static.ewg.org/...n_house_proteins.jpg

How about something 'healthy' like salmon? Still high on the emissions list there. The real target here should be big agriculture methods. Not a particular animal, because junk crops like rape seed, soy, palm wreak havoc on the environment too.

I agree with you on the " The real target here should be big agriculture methods" and I'm glad you see it as an issue. You must also concede that since 95% of livestock is farmed in only 5% of farms that it's a major issue since these CAFOS require immense amounts of soy, corn and wheat to feed animals and because of their close proximity also require heavy doses of antibiotics (80% of antibiotics in the world are used in animal agriculture both for disease prevention and to increase animal growth)

So let's analyze the chain here on why there are "big agriculture methods". Meat intake has grown massively over the last 70-80 years which means we've created these CAFOS and factory farming methods which concentrate feeding and animal production. https://www.theguardian.com/...evastate-environment , http://science.sciencemag.org/...nt/361/6399/eaam5324

Because of that, (and also because of farm subsidies) production of soy is now going mostly to animal feed. Because animal feed is so such a predominant crop we destroy rainforests (which also has a negative effect on greenhouse gasses) so we can grow more.

So if we address the conditions of the animals and their environmental impact and give each animal enough space to be grass fed, impregnate naturally and provide enough space for disease prevention, it would only then hold true that the price for meat would rise and it would therefore be a prohibitive factor for consumption. When this happens the demand for soy/wheat/corn crops as animal feed would also drop and we can instead grow things like other beans and lentils to compensate as well as eliminate the use of chemical fertilizers (that's another ball game) and implement crop rotations which would aid in sustainability.

So, to address the "big agriculture methods", the first step is addressing meat consumption. And the first step in addressing meat consumption starts in your home. Corporations only have these practices in place because of the demands for their product and if demand falls, suddenly these practices are no longer profitable because the economy of scale just isn't there.

If you're going to eat meat, go find your local farmer, talk to him, build a relationship, pay him market value, find out what feed the animal eats. When I made an effort 3 years ago to eat more sustainably talking to farmers was something I really had joy in. Eventually I didn't see a need to keep consuming their meat products, but I still buy from them for their root vegetables because it makes a lot more sense than buying them from California or Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
You keep on being a vegan, but don't push your lifestyle on the rest of us. I won't tell you to eat meat, deal?

Anyone with information or even just a discussion, that doesn't sit well with your preferences is labelled as a pusher trying to interfere with your life and dismissed by pretending there's an equivalence between your choice and theirs.

As true as that often is, are you going to claim that people on this thread are not trying to push people into veganism?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

As true as that often is, are you going to claim that people on this thread are not trying to push people into veganism?
No, I'm saying that's missing the point. Whether or not there are proponents of a belief/idea/action pushing you to adopt it does not change the validity or otherwise of said belief/idea/action.
It's not a valid argument to say you do your thing and leave me alone to do mine when one or other has a significant effect on others. These are subjects that effect everyone, so to suggest everyone should mind their own business is ridiculous and comes across as ignorant and utterly selfish.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure we are trying to push people on some form of more sustainable eating, we're just worried for our common future and the future of our children. If we care about what others are eating or doing it's because there is only one planet and it is shared !
We can get a much smaller footprint through veganism, vegetarianism or flexitarianism, just less (much less) red meat is already a dramatic improvement. What is very strange for a non anglo-saxon reading some people there is how clear cut are all opinions. You're either a pure vegan (insect burger at worse !) or a big cattle eater, at least through the lens of some posters.
If we want to share an enjoyable planet with future generations we have to make more sustainable choices which does not necessarily mean living in full autonomy eating only beans.
We should just look at the big picture. Whats is producing 80% of our greenhouse emissions ? Can we live a fine life while replacing those thing/product/activities with enjoyable alternatives ?
It's a triathlon forum so performance should be addressed. I would certainly not sacrifice the planet for my amateur triathlon performance but having, read, studied, and experimented i don't think you really have to make any compromise on performance regarding eating.
All variety of protein can be covered by plant no problem, just mix cereal and bean and you're not that far from great. Also chicken and egg really are pretty efficient from a climate perspective. Some supplement can be good. There are so many solutions !
If one is very cautious a blood test is always a good idea, vegan or not to check if any supplement or change in a diet is needed.
Last edited by: Ajaj191: Jan 21, 19 13:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next