Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New tires before a wet crit race?
Quote | Reply
I have a crit tomorrow morning and it's likely to be wet , light rain. My crit bike has GP4000sii tires that are pretty worn out. I have a new set of tires ready to go, but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea for brand new tires on wet tarmac for a crit. Do they need to be "scuffed" a bit or "broken in" before they're grippy, or should they be good to go right away?

Option A) Put new tires on the bike and ride it. It'll be grippy
Option B) Keep using your worn out tires for 1 more crit (~20 miles) and change them after. You'll get more grip this way.
Quote Reply
Re: New tires before a wet crit race? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
I have a crit tomorrow morning and it's likely to be wet , light rain. My crit bike has GP4000sii tires that are pretty worn out. I have a new set of tires ready to go, but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea for brand new tires on wet tarmac for a crit. Do they need to be "scuffed" a bit or "broken in" before they're grippy, or should they be good to go right away?

Option A) Put new tires on the bike and ride it. It'll be grippy
Option B) Keep using your worn out tires for 1 more crit (~20 miles) and change them after. You'll get more grip this way.

Tires are pretty gummy out of the box, I wouldn't be worried about grip. My bigger concern would be mounting new tires and possibly not getting the tube in there quite right and having a pinch flat. . . but assuming you have wheels in the pit, it's not a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, skinned tyres are slippery!
Quote Reply
Re: New tires before a wet crit race? [Slunnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slunnie wrote:

I'm not clear on what you're saying here. Are "skinned tires" tires that are worn out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Years ago I read that new tires should be ridden some (how many I do not remember) miles before racing on them. It was something about mold release being applied to ease removal of the tire from the mold and this need to be removed. I do know if this was correct or still correct. I try to have 25 miles or so on new tires before racing.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
Slunnie wrote:

I'm not clear on what you're saying here. Are "skinned tires" tires that are worn out?

Brand new tyres, they've got a layer or skin over them as part of normal manufacture which is slippery until it has worn off. It doesnt take long to come off, but I wouldn't hit it in the wet with unused new tyres.
Last edited by: Slunnie: Jan 19, 19 20:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too high a risk. Mold release can be a disaster in the wet - you'll go down on the first corner. Typically 20 miles minimum beforehand but I've had some where 4-5 hours was needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've definitely made the new tires before a wet race mistake and almost went down at a local tri. Mold release will definitely get you for the first few miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So... what did you decide to race on, and how did they do?
Quote Reply
Re: New tires before a wet crit race? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
So... what did you decide to race on, and how did they do?

I’m at the race now and decided to keep my existing tires and lower pressure to 80psi

So far so good, did a few wet laps without issue.
Quote Reply