Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone know about running snowshoes?
Quote | Reply
Going to try some running in snowshoes in the mountains here. Though some cross country ski on the trails I will reach points where they don't go. A friend of mine who snow shoes and ski's advised me to still get running snow shoes instead of regular ones...……….any recommendations? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know about running snowshoes? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on where in the mountains. Gonna be breaking trail or going off trail u will want full on snowshoes. I run in the heavy MSRs with side rails just fine. If it's groomed or higher traffic much smaller running are better. I also have a pair of redfeathers that is a tweener but doesn't feel much different than the MSRs.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know about running snowshoes? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
will be starting on trail, to breaking trail up to 10,000 ft. As I said I have a friend who goes those same places, he recommended I still go with running. That there will be enough varience that at times I will still sink in deep powder, but overall, I should go for the running ones. I asked specifically if I should look for at the ones in the store...……...he knows I am cross training for ultras
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can u borrow his? It's sorta like a cross bike vs mtn bike for certain situations. I have been upper thigh deep in Glacier NP with the MSRs but here in WI they ar overkill for everything we have had. Might depend on the Q factor and how wide each model is. Rent some from REI or similar (our college has then for rent too) and then rent ur friends. It's super fun and they last a really long time so try each out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Backcountry skis? A lot more fun on the down. I have only used larger snowshoes, I personally think they suck to run in. A nice set of waxless BC skis with a light plastic boot or a heavy NNN BC or Salomon boot sounds like it would fit the bill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For FYI, I am in Montana, will be going to Beartooths/Aborkees. No, cannot borrow his, wrong size, his are self made I think. He is a nut, hikes up. tele, ski's. No place to rent them here in Billings, have to go to Bozeman for an REI. I will be starting on the beginning on trails that leading up to passes, at first cross country skiers, then after 4 or 5 miles then breaking trail. He said its going to vary a lot, from getting in open areas to how wet the snow...…..I am going to give it a try but will have to buy
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know about running snowshoes? [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but that's a lot more $$$, no? I have all the gear, except the shoes. Have salomon snowcross to wear …..and my buddy ski's, he has to take them off and put on shoes to get where he wants, where I will be going
Last edited by: Kenney: Jan 20, 19 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Dion running snowshoes and they are great. Not a ton of float, but not much less than my recreational shoes. They are much lighter than normal snowshoes and the bindings don't let the heel drop as much which helps maintain a more normal running stride. Really good fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price is an object on Slowtwitch? Just kidding, You're right, especially if you go with a plastic boot. I haven't price BC gear in a while, but I would the I just like to enjoy the downhill. That's why I like skiing and biking a whole lot better than running.

I have always wanted to try these out, but my wife would kill me if I bought another pair of skis (I don't know why, I live in South Central PA and have at least 10 pairs of skis :-) ). They're kind of a cross between snowshoes and skis, don't know how much running snowshoes cost, but these are $330 at Bean, maybe less elsewhere.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/509605?originalProduct=114329&productId=1326805&attrValue_0=Wood%2FGraphic&pla1=0&mr%3Adevice=c&mr%3AadType=plaonline&qs=3108008&pcd=WINTER&gclid=CjwKCAiA1ZDiBRAXEiwAIWyNCxJbtr4-CpzyuyLAuhPYFdqtIHTwjZeX732DfQSK4dqlQS2nM1baaxoCUlQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B91mkdrjzc4
Last edited by: offpiste.reese: Jan 20, 19 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you already look at the rentals at Base Camp? Maybe they have what you want or can get them for their rental selection?

It sounds like you and your friend have a fun trip planned. Consider sharing pics and the story here?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know about running snowshoes? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's sounds like a good idea, didn't know they do that. I will have to stop in there. Thanks....you in billings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not currently in Billings, but Senior High, '92! Base Camp's website mentions snowshoe rentals, so there's a chance they'll have something. If what they have isn't perfect, their Helena (?) store might have what you want. Or maybe they'd be willing to expand their rental inventory?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know about running snowshoes? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I replied before and it did not show up.

When here were you a runner? Know Rennee and Dave Coppock, Aaragons, Esp's, Sarah Graves ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I'm not a runner and didn't know them, although I knew OF them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running snowshoes are best on groomed trails or packed /not very deep snow. If it is fluffy and over a few inches deep, you will wish you had a larger snowshoe with greater surface area. BTW, it is very humbling to run in snowshoes. Not technique - wise, but it is really a work out. I have redfeather running snowshoes. My wife has Dion. Both fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know about running snowshoes? [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you...I really need to build strength this year with the ultra s i am attempting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update...…….tried rentals, decided to buy some. Talked to Bob Dion, so I bought a pair of Dion's. He said he uses his for all terrain also. I will update...thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinda late, but good choice. I've been running/racing in snowshoes for about 15 years at this point. I've been through Redfeathers (way too wide and clunky), Atlas (snapped on me twice going over roots and I'm 117 lbs so I refuse to take the blame on that!), Crescent moons (end is long, when you try to up your speed you hit yourself in the butt repeatedly) and Dions and Dions with the deep cleat are by far my favorite. Durable, great traction (I ran across sheer ice last week without even the slightly slip). My word of warning though, be careful and ease into snowshoe running. The wider stance plus lifting more weight can aggravate some muscles/tendons if you're not used to it. My first time this year I went out and ran an hour...and now my piriformis is angry at me. And it's great cross training, but still do a majority of your runs without snowshoes because it builds strength, but it remarkably slower.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know about running snowshoes? [elrasc06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I am attempting an incredibly tough ultra, so I need to build strength more than anything. I will be using in breaking trail to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of atlas ones. They work but I hear the Dions or northern lights are better. One of the keys in my opinion is finding good bindings that work. Nothing like struggling to put them on as your hands go numb.

Snowshoe running is fun and a hard workout. Plan on your quads hurting after lifting the additional pound or two. You generally want to run on groomed trails and have gators and water resistant shoes.

I really wish the concept caught on more as I'd like to do some snowshoe races but they are kind of hard to find and I'm not traveling 3-4 hours for a 5k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Atlas Race snowshoes and crescent moon running snowshoes. Crescent moons are good. I absolutely love the Atlas Race snowshoes. Super light. Really fun. Fantastic workout. The Atlas Race snowshoes are expensive but worth it. Just hiking in snowshoes in deep snow is also a fantastic workout. Might want a beefier pair for that, especially if you are going up and down mountains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Update...…….tried rentals, decided to buy some. Talked to Bob Dion, so I bought a pair of Dion's. He said he uses his for all terrain also. I will update...thanks

You talked to the right guy. I was just going to recommend get Dion's, great product and he totally stands behind it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know about running snowshoes? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well here is update.
snowed 4 inches, fresh unbroken on top of about 3 inches. It is awesome. Hard workout. But to be in unbroken trail after frsh snow, just beautiful. Only did four miles on technical trail today. If I had time could do more. Looking to do six, then 8 to 10.
Quote Reply