So who got the email tonight?

I’m in for the 50 miles.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza 2019 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not me. But my friend who finished top 10 last year in the 200 got accepted to the XL. That's 350 miles. Nuts.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza 2019 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Not me. But my friend who finished top 10 last year in the 200 got accepted to the XL. That's 350 miles. Nuts.

Wow! Good luck to him.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
200...I’m out.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza 2019 [New3901] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My name was drawn for the 200. I guess I need to start riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! Now what :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i'm in for the 200
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for DK200!
I've done 16+ Ironman races, Ultraman Hawaii, many mountain bike events, road races, but the gravel scene is new to me.

Can anyone point me towards some good resources regarding:
1) the nuances of the course
2) bike setup including:
a) 700c vs 650b wheels
b) tire width and pressure
c) carbon vs alloy stem handlebars
d) frame bags
e) bottles vest vs hydration vest
3) Accomodation suggestions
4) any other inside tips!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got selected for the 100. I might have a family conflict though..... I have to look at how late I can get to check in on Friday Night !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I didn’t get in. If anyone who missed out is looking for a good ride in the Midwest check out The Crusher or Coast 2 Coast in Michigan!
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza 2019 [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not get in. If anyone has a spot they can't use please let me know I would be happy to take it.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza 2019 [Joelbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joelbob wrote:
I did not get in. If anyone has a spot they can't use please let me know I would be happy to take it.

http://ridinggravel.com/...sfer-thread-10001378

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in for the 100 mile. First gravel race!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got in. Bought my tires a couple of hours ago - 38 mm Gravelking SKs from Excel Sports. Lots of long zone 2 rides in the mountains in my future plus hard hill rep sessions. Main worry is the heat on the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for the 200 - and kinda freaked out about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reg’d for #3, now I just have to 1) train 2) get there
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza 2019 [merlinkim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
merlinkim wrote:
In for the 200 - and kinda freaked out about it.

It wouldn't be epic if it didn't!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just throwing this out there, but if anyone is in for the 200 and wants out....I did not get in and want to be there really bad. Looking for a transfer bib. Thx.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza 2019 [Seth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seth wrote:
I'm in for DK200!
I've done 16+ Ironman races, Ultraman Hawaii, many mountain bike events, road races, but the gravel scene is new to me.

Can anyone point me towards some good resources regarding:
2) bike setup including:
a) 700c vs 650b wheels
d) frame bags

The course will be different this year, but in general there are rolling hills, very little shade, and a variety of gravel-types. Some roads will be very smooth, others will have larger rocks, and other roads will have sharp flint rock. The race usually spends a lot of time in open grazing fields, so you'll pass within a few feet of cows, and they may even decide to run with you for a while. To get an idea of what the area looks like, go to Google Images and search for Flint Hills Kansas.

2) bike setup including:
a) 700c vs 650b wheels
d) frame bags
In my opinion, 38c-43c is about the sweet spot for tires on that course. If it is muddy, then a 650b would help give you miore mud clearance while still allowing for a wide tire, but I would go with 700c if dry. You don't want to pick a tire based on rolling resistance alone. You want something that rolls good but also has durable sidewalls. The flint rock is no joke. If it is wet, the tires will cut even easier. Tubeless is the way to go. Bring tubeless plugs, CO2, a hand pump, 2 tubes, and a patch kit. I used all of the above last year to get to the finish line. Pressure depends on a lot of things (tire width, your weight, etc). I'm 165 lbs and usually run about 35psi on 35c tires. For 38s, I run about 30-32. For stem and handlebars, I think an allow stem is fine. Some carbon bars absorb road chatter, so that might work for you. You can also double wrap your bar with tape for more cushion. Make sure your carbon bars say they are compatible with aerobars before you clamp them on. For a frame bag, a DarkSpeedWorks bag on the toptube is nice. I did a Camelbak for one of the legs last year. It depends on how far apart the rest stops are. If I would need more than 3 bottles for that leg, I'll take a hydration pack.

Not sure. We stayed at an Air BNB.

Aerobars are helpful. Not only do you go faster, but it is nice to be able to rest your weight on your forearms after a while.
Most flats happen on downhills. People decide to "send it" to make up time, hit a rock, and snake bite their tubeless tire on the rim. Watch your line on the downhills carefully.
Having support in the checkpoints/aid stations is a gamechanger. Make sure you have a plan to get in and out quick, and make sure your support crew is aware of your plan.
Like any long race, taking care of your body is one of the most important skills/strategies. Don't get ahead or behind on calories/hydration.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza 2019 [merlinkim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just remember the most important tip: Ride easy for the first 50 miles. Way easier than you possible think you should ride.

So many people don't finish because they try to stay with the fast group at the front and totally blow up in the first four hours of a 13 hour race.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty Kanza 2019 [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in for the 200. After last year, I swore i would not do this again but here I am.
Quote Reply