Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman?
Quote | Reply
So Dillashaw is the feature fight in UFC Saturday night and he’s also an aspiring triathlete that does some triathlon training in preparation for his fights. I’ll be interested in how his fight goes this weekend and if he eventually competes in triathlon.

https://www.google.com/...w-real-life-diet/amp

http://www.espn.com/...st-weight-cut-career
Last edited by: mwanner13: Jan 18, 19 19:08
Quote Reply
Re: UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing this. I'm a big MMA fan and looking forward to the fight. Always liked TJ ... now even more. The cutting weight piece is insane! That may seriously affect the fight. I'd love to get him and the Diaz boys (also triathletes) to USAT AGNC!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I’m not mistaken one of his main trainers has done Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Sam Calavitta (TJ's nutritionist and strength coach??) does IM's but has not qualified for Worlds.
https://www.treigninglab.com/sam

Didn't really sound like TJ does any real s/b/r training in either article. He just watched the race and decided he would do one.

I grew up in the wrestling world. Certainly toughness is at a premium in that sport and has triathlon beat easily. (no offense triathlon) But I've never been all that impressed with training modalities in combat sports. It's a lot of bro science, airdyne bikes, and going til you puke.
The nutritionists have really upped their game in the last 3-5 years in MMA. They changed rehydration requirements after weigh-ins. And the athletes have wised up and started working with real scientists. Sounds like Sam is a legit food/weight cut guy.
I'd be curious how much he works with TJ's actual fitness regime and what it entails.

Quote Reply
Re: UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman? [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I opened the ESPN story about him making weight I was surprised to see him working out on a Specialized Shiv in the first picture. It appears he’s doing this type of training to build his aerobic base. It makes sense from a standpoint of cross training. I’m curious to see if cutting that much weight will hurt him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That supplement counter.

What a joke.

These guys are ridiculous. A spectacle purely for entertainment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I’m curious to see if cutting that much weight will hurt him.

I think there is a pretty definitive answer now...
Quote Reply
Re: UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman? [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5430tri wrote:
Thanks for sharing this. I'm a big MMA fan and looking forward to the fight. Always liked TJ ... now even more. The cutting weight piece is insane! That may seriously affect the fight. I'd love to get him and the Diaz boys (also triathletes) to USAT AGNC!

That is what was so awesome about watching Nate Diaz fight McGregor. McGregor may have all the talent in the world, but watching him try to fight somebody that has 98% of his talent and that does 70.3s for fun? Diaz just never seemed to get tired, just kept stockton slapping him from the outfield. Those were some great fights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dillashaw loses in 32 seconds. Lol! I guess the endurance training didn’t pay off in this one. It’s amazing how much work these guys put in to lose fights in seconds. I’d say there will be a rematch as it appears the fight may have been stopped prematurely by the official.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Dillashaw loses in 32 seconds. Lol! I guess the endurance training didn’t pay off in this one. It’s amazing how much work these guys put in to lose fights in seconds. I’d say there will be a rematch as it appears the fight may have been stopped prematurely by the official.

154 to 125 sounds like the problem. Read this morning the rematch will be at 135.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think we had the opportunity to see if the weight change was a factor. You can’t tell anything from a 32 second fight, other than Cejudo caught him by surprise. I would have liked to see a longer fight to see how he did with the weight loss. I would guess it would negatively affect him. It’s too much weight loss in a relatively short amount of time.

B.McMaster wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

154 to 125 sounds like the problem. Read this morning the rematch will be at 135.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
That is what was so awesome about watching Nate Diaz fight McGregor. McGregor may have all the talent in the world, but watching him try to fight somebody that has 98% of his talent and that does 70.3s for fun? Diaz just never seemed to get tired, just kept stockton slapping him from the outfield. Those were some great fights.

Diaz is way, way bigger than Connor. He didn't win that because he does triathlons. That has pretty much nothing to do with it. He won because of his fighting skills and because all the strikes that Connor usually KOs people with didn't really faze Diaz. Connor said as much straight after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

Training doesn't typically center around getting caught.

Really didn't see much of anything regarding his training. Hopefully 135 goes a bit longer, though I'm not convinced the overall result will differ too much.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Diaz is way, way bigger than Connor. He didn't win that because he does triathlons. That has pretty much nothing to do with it. He won because of his fighting skills and because all the strikes that Connor usually KOs people with didn't really faze Diaz. Connor said as much straight after.

That was part of it, sure. But to say fitness has "nothing" to do with 3 to 5 rounds of fighting is willfully ignorant. But ok, go on with your bad self. lol.
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jan 20, 19 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It didn’t pay off in the sense that it was a non-factor. Kind of a shame for the guy given the work he put into training and making weight.

rubik wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Training doesn't typically center around getting caught.

Really didn't see much of anything regarding his training. Hopefully 135 goes a bit longer, though I'm not convinced the overall result will differ too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Na he had it coming. He’s a “snake in the grass”. If you know the history TJ is a selfish a hole. Glad to see him lose.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
rubik wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

That was part of it, sure. But to say fitness has "nothing" to do with 3 to 5 rounds of fighting is willfully ignorant. But ok, go on with your bad self. lol.

I didn't say fitness had nothing to do with it. I said "doing triathlons" has nothing to do with it.

Go on with your bad reading.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC Champion T.J. Dillashaw future Ironman? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Na he had it coming. He’s a “snake in the grass”. If you know the history TJ is a selfish a hole. Glad to see him lose.

+1.

Hope he gets wooped up on at 135, too.
Quote Reply