Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The World Diet
Quote | Reply
I stumbled across this today and I'm curious as to everyone's opinion.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46865204

I have a hunch a lot of people on here eat similar to this already, but I for one can't imagine cutting back my red meat intake to a steak per month, or a slice of chicken per day. I understand where they're coming from with the theory behind but I can't imagine this being an executable proposition in the real world. As a 185lb athletic male will easily eat 3000 calories/day to maintain weight if i'm working out at all, i don't think this food is even calorie dense enough to support an athlete.

1. Nuts - 50g a day
  2. Beans, chickpeas, lentils and other legumes - 75g a day
  3. Fish - 28g a day
  4. Eggs - 13g a day (so one and a bit a week)
  5. Meat - 14g a day of red meat and 29g a day of chicken
  6. Carbs - whole grains like bread and rice 232g a day and 50g a day of starchy vegetables
  7. Dairy - 250g - the equivalent of one glass of milk
  8. Vegetables -(300g) and fruit (200g)

So do you think you could sustain your current lifestyle on this diet if followed to a T?
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [erbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop with the red meat man ! It's been proven it's essentially bad for you for so many reasons. The calorie argument is wrong. Get your cals elsewhere, just eat more pasta and beans if you need energy, not more red meat and chicken.

Vegetal protein when combined are complete too.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [Ajaj191] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where is the proof that "red meat is essentially bad for you for so many reasons" ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great.

Another goofy diet thread. And another opportunity for all the fanatics on one side of the isle or the other to come out of the woodwork and proselytize how their way is the ONE TRUE WAY.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
where is the proof that "red meat is essentially bad for you for so many reasons" ?

the china study
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:

It's a class 2 carcinogen (probably cancer causing agent). Mostly to do with it being cooked at high temperatures to produce polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic aromatic amines. Both of these are known cancer causing agents, most notably colon cancer. The issue with colon cancer is that it's rarely detected early and has the 3rd highest mortality rate of any cancer.

Red meat is also broken down through putrification in the intestine. This produces amino acids like putrescine and cadaverine which have negative effects on the gut lining and increase inflammation which can lead to many chronic inflammation disorders as well as cancer.

That doesn't even cover the cholesterol and saturated fat arguments against red meat which are universally known.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The goal wasn't to create a "red meat is bad" thread. I was trying to get an opinion on the merits of a "universal diet" for the world as a whole and if a group of athletes believe that it is feasible in their lives.

I've read articles stating red meat is bad and I've read that it's good. To be fair, I don't really care. I enjoy the taste and I will continue to eat red meat. That not to say I eat high fat burgers/steaks every day, but I will say that on average I eat more than 1/4lb of red meat a week, and far more than 1 egg a week. It would be a dramatic change in my lifestyle and at best it would be a multi month acclimatization period to even begin to function highly on a reduced diet like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You keep on being a vegan, but don't push your lifestyle on the rest of us. I won't tell you to eat meat, deal?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This diet is promoted first as a way to reduce our carbon footprint while being in a better shape. It's fine that you like red meat, I like it too. Truth is it's burning our planet down, combined with over consumption of material goods, excess transport by plane etc...
The argument here is that you can get all the nutrient you need from plant. The only adaptation needed is in your cooking. Many plant base plate just taste very good and are certainly not hard to digest. Most of the time you'll feel lighter and more ready to exercise after such a meal. The main argument is not to eat one egg a month but that some aliment like red meat should not be in our daily routine. They should be reserved to special occasions if you like them.

Also I can't believe those who think its a Chinese conspiracy. Triathlete are outdoor people they should have a sensibility for the environment. Proof of climate change are everywhere, you want to leave sand to your children or what ? What will you tell to them ? Red meat was so good and taking that plane was so important for my self development ?

On a separate note to erbrown you look heavy for a triathlete, if you're not super tall which would explain your weight you might get a lot of performance by losing weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
erbrown wrote:
The goal wasn't to create a "red meat is bad" thread. I was trying to get an opinion on the merits of a "universal diet" for the world as a whole and if a group of athletes believe that it is feasible in their lives.

That may not have been your goal...but as you can see, it took about 3 posts to go exactly there. Those who feel that way, find it NECESSARY to shout it from the mountaintops every chance they get, and beat everyone else over the head with their particular club.
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
You keep on being a vegan, but don't push your lifestyle on the rest of us. I won't tell you to eat meat, deal?

If I had a nickel every time I heard this.

I don't consider myself a vegan, but I eat a plant based diet. The amount of times I say something like, "oh no I don't eat dairy" and someone comes back, "Oh right, because you're a vegan" is astounding. It's a question I deal with on a nearly daily basis combined with "where do you get your protein".

Nobody gave a shit about my diet until I stopped eating animal products.

Conversely, in my 29 years of eating meat, I never once heard someone say, "dude you should be a vegan" and I never felt obligated to try a different diet.

I think you're also falsely assuming that people eat vegan diets because of lifestyle, morals or animal welfare. I can confidently say that of all the people i know that eat a similar diet to myself, not one of us gives a shit about animal welfare. I came from a place of open-mindedness and education. I made small incremental changes, testing along the way, and looking at the reasoning and biological mechanisms regarding "why" a plant based diet helps eliminate or delay the onset of most "western" diseases like cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and cancer. On a personal note after 10 years of moderate/severe crohn's disease I have finally achieved remission, including mucosal healing of my gut lining, which can only be attributed to the increased fiber, short chain fatty acids and butyrate producing bacteria in my gut.

I get it though. If you're Canadian or American (or a lot of other nations) you live in a free country. Land of the free, glorious and free. Do what you want no matter what anyone says attitude. It's what makes North America awesome, Europe OK and Asia terrible. At some point, though, your tax dollars are feeding into the healthcare system and the trillions of dollars used to treat illnesses that are very preventable is astounding. As a citizen, I view it as my obligation to ensure that my individual value as a citizen is maximized and further to that point that my tax dollars are being spent responsibly. When reports like this come out and suggest that eating meat is better for the environment or better for individual health and I see comments like, "I wish vegans wouldn't be so pushy" it offends me as a citizen because it means that there are other citizens that are blatantly rejecting scientific data, are selfish enough to ignore it and are ignorant enough to dismiss it. The day when humans decide they no longer want to learn and be educated is the day we might as well just drop the meteor back on us and let another species have a kick at this ball.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is, that every time those beyond burgers go on sale, we stock up the freezer. It is so close to the taste and consistency of meat, that now I find it just as pleasing. I had already without trying stopped eating so much meat, this just adds another level. Now only when going out(to someones bar-b-q or restaurant) and some chicken and turkey once a week or so around the house. It has not been hard at all, actually not really thinking much about it.

But at times I get that feeling of a juicy cheeseburger, and then I have that beyond burger to satisfy that. Just doing my part for the planet...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll say I don't eat a whole lot of meat compared to what most people eat I presume. Typically my family and I eat meat (usually chicken) for dinner. I eat a shitload of vegetables and fruit just because I like them better and don't get bloated or heavy feeling from them. I can notice a huge difference if I have had more meat in my diet than normal, especially on how it impacts my bowel system. Saying that, I'll wont turn meat away if its presented to me at a friends and most defintely will devour BBQ, but at home we maybe have red meat once in a while and its usually in the form of ground beef in a chilli or soup. Its just expensive as hell to eat steaks or anything else.

Also, I love eggs and dairy so whatever. I would consider myself more plant based either way.

As for the World Diet. I don't think its really suitable for an athlete or very active person. If you think about it, we are extremely selfish and wasteful in the grand scheme of things so that we can participate in sports. Think of all the water we use in the pools across the world just so we can swim our little laps or race. Fuck sending it to a drought ridden area for farming or for conservation. I want to swim goddamnit and then afterwards I want to eat a tabletop of food, take a shit, and then flush it down with more drinkable water!

I don't think the intent of this diet is for performance - more for sustainability. Which I appreciate.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't argue the with the losing weight, I just need to convince myself since I've spent a lot of years working to keep mass up for different athletic endeavors.

FWIW, i'm 6'3" and as a decathlete in college I would have done anything to get up to 195 but with the training load was unable to get above 185, but I couldn't get it done. It's been a couple of years since I've quit that and my weight has of course crept up a little bit. It's relatively easy for me to get down around 185 but it will certainly take some more thought/perseverance to get down closer to ~175 which is likely a better weight for endurance events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajaj191 wrote:
This diet is promoted first as a way to reduce our carbon footprint while being in a better shape. It's fine that you like red meat, I like it too. Truth is it's burning our planet down, combined with over consumption of material goods, excess transport by plane etc...
The argument here is that you can get all the nutrient you need from plant. The only adaptation needed is in your cooking. Many plant base plate just taste very good and are certainly not hard to digest. Most of the time you'll feel lighter and more ready to exercise after such a meal. The main argument is not to eat one egg a month but that some aliment like red meat should not be in our daily routine. They should be reserved to special occasions if you like them.

Also I can't believe those who think its a Chinese conspiracy. Triathlete are outdoor people they should have a sensibility for the environment. Proof of climate change are everywhere, you want to leave sand to your children or what ? What will you tell to them ? Red meat was so good and taking that plane was so important for my self development ?

On a separate note to erbrown you look heavy for a triathlete, if you're not super tall which would explain your weight you might get a lot of performance by losing weight.

Spreading false lies. Should we eradicate a species to protect us from climate change? Why is India so polluted yet they dont eat cow? Stop driving your car before telling me to stop eating meat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jarret_g wrote:
tristorm wrote:

It's a class 2 carcinogen (probably cancer causing agent). Mostly to do with it being cooked at high temperatures to produce polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic aromatic amines. Both of these are known cancer causing agents, most notably colon cancer. The issue with colon cancer is that it's rarely detected early and has the 3rd highest mortality rate of any cancer.

Red meat is also broken down through putrification in the intestine. This produces amino acids like putrescine and cadaverine which have negative effects on the gut lining and increase inflammation which can lead to many chronic inflammation disorders as well as cancer.

That doesn't even cover the cholesterol and saturated fat arguments against red meat which are universally known.

Ok I will replace red meat intake with french fries. But wait.. I will get the same problems you mentioned! But why, it's vegan !?. The problem is heat. Too much burns our skin. Too much alters the natural chemical formulation of our food. We do it because heat kills bacteria, etc. Heat is destructive...
Quote Reply
Re: The World Diet [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
jarret_g wrote:
tristorm wrote:

Ok I will replace red meat intake with french fries. But wait.. I will get the same problems you mentioned! But why, it's vegan !?. The problem is heat. Too much burns our skin. Too much alters the natural chemical formulation of our food. We do it because heat kills bacteria, etc. Heat is destructive...

I missed where I said french fries were an alternative to red meat.

I was just simply telling why red meat is considered a class 2a carcinogen by the world health organization. I didn't state any opinions or moral views in my post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And here we have the nail in the coffin for the pusher of this diet:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/...nd-campaign-13872067
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF is that on her husbands side. I can't look at shit like that, i have some severe trypophobia going on

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Now do this one: https://www.theguardian.com/...id-climate-breakdown

Or this one: http://www.fao.org/.../a0701e/a0701e00.HTM

Or this one: https://www.epa.gov/...e-gas-emissions-data

Or this one: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ouse-gas-is-methane/

You have the right in 2019, pretty much no matter what your nationality is, to make your own decisions on whether you choose to adhere to these guidelines or not. But denying them or attempting to disprove them only shows your own ignorance regarding the subject.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please go preach your pseudo science elsewhere. I gave an easy deal, and then you proceeded to actually do what Vegans normally do which is tell me I'm wrong and say your lifestyle is great. I'm happy for you. But like your sexual preference, your religious preference, etc...I don't want to know or be preached to.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jarret_g wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Now do this one: https://www.theguardian.com/...id-climate-breakdown

Or this one: http://www.fao.org/.../a0701e/a0701e00.HTM

Or this one: https://www.epa.gov/...e-gas-emissions-data

Or this one: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ouse-gas-is-methane/

You have the right in 2019, pretty much no matter what your nationality is, to make your own decisions on whether you choose to adhere to these guidelines or not. But denying them or attempting to disprove them only shows your own ignorance regarding the subject.

So you ignored my post reply to Ajaj191 that we should extinct our cattle population to fix this issue - in your view. Bison and Buffalo roamed these lands before we invaded and yet climate change was not an issue. Why can't you vegans give up your fossil fueled cars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not vegan but I'm striving to go veganish.

The cardiovascular risk decrease is a very real thing. A few of my friends who had both high cholesterol in their late 30s needing medication as well as fathers who had multiple heart attacks <age 65, went pure vegan for a 3month trial, and they dropped their cholesterol by massive amounts in a mere 3 months. Like 220+ to 90, I didn't even know it could go so low! They've kept it up as well, makes me feel like an undisciplined junkie in comparison.

I actually like the environmental issues and ethical ones as well. There's a reason the big meat corporations do everything possible to hide all sights and reports of how they run farms, as it's really unsettling. I'm not a treehugger or moralist, but I def feel something's wrong when the source of my food needs to be hidden from me at all costs due to the fears that it'll unsettle my psyche when i learn about chickens that are grown in the dark their whole lives in a <12 inch pen etc.

That all said, I still lapse into meat eating every week - my young kid hates my vegan food!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry...just skipped it because it was so ridiculous. Do you really think we would just gas every animal overnight because the world went vegan?

It would obviously be a phase-out. Much like draft horses didn't over-run planet earth when we made the switch to cars.

Currently we artificially inseminate and forcefully breed animals to keep up with demand. As demand falls, so will the requirement to force breed the animals. That's not rocket science, it's supply and demand. https://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S0048969715303697

As for the your comment on India being a polluted nation, per capita they are actually relatively low, https://data.worldbank.org/...cator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC, https://www.carbonbrief.org/...rew-strongly-in-2017 , so I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

And who says people that don't eat meat for environmental reasons don't choose to drive less or do other things to cut down on greenhouse gasses? Why is it an "either/or" proposition to you?
Quote Reply

Prev Next