Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Perfect Pool? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better to do 10x50 and be 25m wide with 2 bulkheads... you can set up double ended for either 25Y or 25m if yards get killed. 2 x 25m warm up lanes in the middle if set up yards.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect Pool? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much every new 50m pool here is 10 lanes now. We have one opening in 6 weeks here. They have the Mytha wedge blocks :)

https://www.instagram.com/...;igshid=wmq145xuiqvh

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Jan 16, 19 14:45
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect Pool? [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7-8 feet is usually the sweet spot, same depth the whole way down. Don't add distance markers except maybe the halfway mark and the standard T-marks 3m from the wall.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top 3:

1.) Availability is key. Having prime swim times not dominated by Master's or Swim Team groups. I swam at Golden Gateway in SF for years and while rates continuously rose, lane availability for free lap swim consistently declined.

2.) Temp. Below 80 degrees.

3.) Hot tub nearby. Gotta soak before or after.

Honorable mention:

- Lane width. (I think the official standard that another poster referenced is ideal)
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect Pool? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to know what sport clubs you all go to that have 50 meter pools!! Every club I have ever been to is 25 yards around here in the US, usually 3 or 4 lanes max, no gutters and way too hot!!

I know there are affiliated great big pools with some clubs, but I think the OP is talking about something like a 24 hour fitness or similar???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Water filtration that minimizes the use of chemicals
2. No underwater music. Put in a nice system on the deck.
3. You dont need distance markers. Maybe a tile strip across the pool at the midway point and thats it. Proper markings at the ends of the pool are important though.
4. If its a sports club you need a hot tub. Make it a big one.
5. Spillover gutters. I think someone posted a pic of this
6. At the deep end of the pool you should have the underwater step for people to use as they are resting on the wall between sets.
7. Built in synchronized clocks at each end but not every lane thats unnecessary.
8. Air circulation and air quality is a BIG DEAL. Make this a priority with an option to completely open up at least one wall to the outside. I'm assuming its an indoor pool?
9. Deck showers and room for amenities on deck such as built in seating, areas for storage etc.
10. We really need to know the space for the particulars such as pool size. Ideally you have separate teaching pool that can be heated at a higher temp or an elbow section off the main pool for teaching classes.
11. Separate lockers and changing space for the pool if there is room. You want moms bringing their kids through your locker room full of naked adults? They will try to bring their six year boy through the womens locker room because they dont want him to walk through the mens area by themselves. There is also a trend toward family changing rooms now.
12. Its been mentioned but if you set it up as a competition pool its going to end being leased out to the local swim clubs and then the members wont be happy. So like someone said make it nice for a club/workout pool but not welcoming enough that some club will see it and offer a lot of money to lease it for all the prime workout times. Eventually the club owner or manager will go for the money.
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect Pool? [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, loads to go on.

It's a 25m pool, indoor. It's a hotel pool (in China), but with a sports membership, so there will be lap swimmers, lessons and 1-2 water aerobics classes a week.

Not sure it will end being cutting edge, but I'll give them the feedback and let them do their best.

Thanks again.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enough bright lights and natural sunlight during the day would be huge perks. I’ve been to many dark, dungeon style pools over the years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
I've been asked to give feedback on the design of a new pool that's being built in a sister sports Club.

Some points on the drawing board:
Individual built-in clocks in every lane.
Underwater music.
Distance markers on the floor, maybe motivational tiles.

It's a multi-use pool and my initial thoughts were that there has to be minimum laps available at all times, no times when the pool is blocked off for aerobics, kids swimming lessons etc.

What characteristics would make you definitely want to join a Club/Pool?

it would be superb to have:
- somekind of underwater light pacemaker in each line. Something that you could easy program and that you would follow in your interval /tempo swim
- somekind of built in cameras that would record every line (front/lateral/underwater), and (with advanced sofware) follow each swimmer, so if you want your record you only have to request it before/after your swim, you could receive somekind of tagged cap.

- capability for resistance added swimming
- dry land training zone for warm-up and combined training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a swimmer and a coach my list would mirror much of what has already been said..

Some things to add...

Deck space.. Don't skimp. Need ample space to store pool toys. Space to sit. Space for dryland exercises. Nothing worse than being forced to sit 3 feet from the edge of the pool down by the blocks. Soaked..

Lighting.. Get rid of as many shadows as possible. This helps the lifeguards see clearly to the bottom of the pool. Don't go with warm lights either... in my opinion they always make pools feel like dungeons. 5000K daylight high intensity bulbs etc would be great.. If possible do as much of the light indirectly as possible. Helps save backstrokers from being blinded.

Window placement.. Keep the sun in mind. Do you want to blind morning/afternoon swimmers? Automatic window blinds help a ton here.. Guards/pool staff can remotely control them as needed to either provide light or keep it out.

Doors.. Swimmers hate drafts. Air from outside the pool flowing in across wet skin is misery in the winter.. This goes for locker rooms as well. I remember swimming one time and a group of teenage girls broke a bottle of perfume in the locker room. The whole pool spelled like it. Wasn't fun while swimming. (this relates to ventilation as well.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few pools here in Finland have an abacus on the ends of the lane. Useful for counting reps or distance.
I feel pace guidelines for swimmers in the "fast" lane would be useful. I've suggested sub 2.00min per 100m. I know this is slow but better than the old ladies using the lane because I'm the only one there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next