Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheap Bluetooth Powermeter
Quote | Reply
I typically use the TT bike I race with on my trainer. It has a Quark power meter that works well with Zwift. But I'm thinking this puts unneeded stress on my preferred bike. So I'm thinking of using my older road bike instead. What is the cheapest bluetooth power meter I can buy? I see a Gen. 2 Stages Power Meter on Amazon right now for about $150 bucks. Any thoughts on that? Also, I'm curious how many of you use your primary bike on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bluetooth Powermeter [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These guys https://www.tempopowermeters.com/about will put a PM on your existing crank for $200. I was going to get that done, but found a never used Stages PM on eBay forc$180.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my race bike on my trainer. It has worked fine for myself and countless others for years and years. Yea sure, you'll hear the odd story here and there about someone cracking their frame while in the trainer, but those are few and far between.

As for the Stages, are you talking about this one? The crank length is 180mm, which is why it's so cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/...eter#customerReviews

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The general advice is to ride indoors what you race especially if you don't train lot outdoors on the TT bike. A lot has been written about the stress of trainers on bikes and I think GCN did a video on it a few years back.

Overall there is no evidence to show there is any issue with using bikes on a trainer. If you keep the drive chain clean the component wear and tear of indoor riding is very very minimal. The forces are also insignificant relative to what frames are designed to handle. Riding your race setup on a trainer also means you get used to the position and will feel more comfortable on race day. For the $150 you would spend on the stages you will spend another $150 on batteries keeping the thing working (only kinda joking). This money will buy a lot of replacement chains and cassettes on your TT bike should they wear out.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bluetooth Powermeter [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hadn't heard of Tempo before, looks interesting. However I only see ANT+ in the specs, not Bluetooth. Did I miss it?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bluetooth Powermeter [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I forgot you wanted Bluetooth only, so they're out.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bluetooth Powermeter [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries! Just confirming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 Transition Expert with a Riken power meter that lives on the trainer during the winter, and then only hits the road for races and the required "prove out' before a race. It has lived its entire life treated like that and it still looks new, for the most part. The trainer has certainly not harmed it in any way.

My "primary" bike has changed during that time and is currently a Roubaix. It inhabits my garage during the winter, but once it warms up a little I ride it almost exclusively in various events including crits. It was new in February of 2017 and probably looks more "worn" then the Transition, and its never been down other than falling over in front the deli a few times.

As to your question, Stages is probably your best and cheapest option, unless you can find something as a left over or on sale The Roubaix is running a C1 which I think has blue tooth (not sure, never cared). They are discontinued but if it will fit your bike you might be able to find one somewhere cheap. They are outstanding products.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Stages will be $150 to always wonder if you're getting good data (you're not).

For a dedicated trainer bike needing bluetooth, I would get a used Powertap G3 wheel. Heck, if I never planned on taking it outside, I'd even consider a Powertap C1 crankset- a fantatastic powermeter with 1 fatal flaw: water ingress issues. I've always used my primary bike on the trainer and never had any issues with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bluetooth Powermeter [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP could upgrade stages to LR at a later time.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bluetooth Powermeter [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I'm the other side of the coin, though aluminum frame, not carbon. I had a Scott Speedster that I rode nearly exclusively on the trainer. Only ridden outside when my regular outdoor bike was unavailable (so rarely). After several years of 3500-4500 miles per year on the trainer (5-6 years??), I found cracks in both aluminum chain stays. Caused by the trainer, who knows? I hope not, as 70-80% of my annual mileage is indoors.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bluetooth Powermeter [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I'd even consider a Powertap C1 crankset- a fantatastic powermeter with 1 fatal flaw: water ingress issues.

That was been fixed in the later models. Mine has run through all sorts of really nasty weather and continues to work perfectly.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
watteam powerbeat is the cheapest new option I believe. You need alloy cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I typically use the TT bike I race with on my trainer. It has a Quark power meter that works well with Zwift. But I'm thinking this puts unneeded stress on my preferred bike. So I'm thinking of using my older road bike instead. What is the cheapest bluetooth power meter I can buy? I see a Gen. 2 Stages Power Meter on Amazon right now for about $150 bucks. Any thoughts on that? Also, I'm curious how many of you use your primary bike on the trainer.

https://www.iqsquare.com

(no experience with the product myself)
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bluetooth Powermeter [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
I'd even consider a Powertap C1 crankset- a fantatastic powermeter with 1 fatal flaw: water ingress issues.

That was been fixed in the later models. Mine has run through all sorts of really nasty weather and continues to work perfectly.

I'm continually surprised at how reliable my C1 is. For $349 it's superb value.
Quote Reply