Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest race wheels for 2018/19 Trek Speed Concept?
Quote | Reply
To be ridden by 15 y.o., 120lb elite girl for sprints (20k). What race day wheels would you recommend? So far I've zoomed onto Zipp 808 or DT Swiss ARC 1100(1400) Dicut 80mm. What about using a disk for rear? Thanks!!

Just for reference: her road bike setup is Felt AR with Campa Bora 50mm.
Last edited by: vladi: Jan 15, 19 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest race wheels for 2018/19 Trek Speed Concept? [vladi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On that bike a flat disc wheel will be a few watts faster vs a lenticular/bulged dics wheel.

Run the deepest wheel upfront that she's comfortable handling.

Tires will be more important than a 50mm vs 60mm vs 80mm front wheel

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 15, 19 5:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what her bike handling skills are like, but if she doesn’t have much of a cycling background I would suggest something like a 303 front and a disc. Kids with mountain biking, BMX and cross experience typically have fantastic bike skills, but kids with the runner/swimming background,... not so much. You don’t want her to be learning how to ride a deep front wheel in a strong cross wind on race day.

If she get comfortable riding in the wind with the shallower wheel you can always add something like an 808 later.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest race wheels for 2018/19 Trek Speed Concept? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since collegiate cycling competitors are limited to road bikes for time trial, this seems a very interesting of a question. I didn't know junior triathlon allowed tri-bikes. Also surprised there aren't wheel size restrictions given the rider weights.

Learn something new every day.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest race wheels for 2018/19 Trek Speed Concept? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
On that bike a flat disc wheel will be a few watts faster vs a lenticular/bulged dics wheel.

Run the deepest wheel upfront that she's comfortable handling.

Tires will be more important than a 50mm vs 60mm vs 80mm front wheel

Could you please elaborate on tires a bit more? One option -- use Campa Bora 50 (currently outfitted with 23mm GP4000 s II) from her roadie as a front, and get a disk (super 9? else?) for the rear. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest race wheels for 2018/19 Trek Speed Concept? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Since collegiate cycling competitors are limited to road bikes for time trial, this seems a very interesting of a question. I didn't know junior triathlon allowed tri-bikes. Also surprised there aren't wheel size restrictions given the rider weights.

Learn something new every day.

Thanks! You are correct -- draft-legal events are limited to road bikes only. Non-draft events can use either road or tri bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vladi wrote:
Could you please elaborate on tires a bit more?

There can be a large difference in wattage between tires due to factors such as rolling resistance, aero, puncture protection.

Some general guidelines:
Tire width should be less than 105% of wheel width (tires typically measure wider than advertised)
If you flat on a sprint, the race is probably over (tubeless can offer better puncture protection, especially with sealant use).
20/23 conti supersonics, latex tubes

Good places to start:

Tom Anhalt's blog offer some information including a rolling resistance spreadsheet:
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/

Josh Silca's 5 part series on his blog gives some good insight into pressure and other factors affecting speed:
https://silca.cc/blogs/journal?page=2
Last edited by: Nonojohn: Jan 15, 19 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest race wheels for 2018/19 Trek Speed Concept? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15 and under kids tri do not allow tri bars. 15 is a age group in adult tris were tri bars are allowed.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest race wheels for 2018/19 Trek Speed Concept? [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In draft legal, no age group can use aerobars in the us. This is for non draft though
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest race wheels for 2018/19 Trek Speed Concept? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
In draft legal, no age group can use aerobars in the us. This is for non draft though

Correct. Also, mini (TT) clip-ons are allowed in draft legal events.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest race wheels for 2018/19 Trek Speed Concept? [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nazgul350r wrote:
15 and under kids tri do not allow tri bars. 15 is a age group in adult tris were tri bars are allowed.

This depends whether event is draft legal or non-drafting. Her racing age is 16 though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mini tt clip-ons are not allowed in the us for age group draft legal races. Only elite and maybe women's ncaa? Anyway, to bring it back to your original question, I'd avoid the dt swiss wheels. They test reasonably fast but I've heard pretty much across the board that braking on them is terrible, and they're not fast enough to make up for that.

If you want absolute fastest, I'd probably go with a disc and look at roval, enve, hed, or maybe the new bontrager for the front. Probably stick with 60mm or shallower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vladi wrote:
To be ridden by 15 y.o., 120lb elite girl for sprints (20k). What race day wheels would you recommend? So far I've zoomed onto Zipp 808 or DT Swiss ARC 1100(1400) Dicut 80mm. What about using a disk for rear? Thanks!!

Just for reference: her road bike setup is Felt AR with Campa Bora 50mm.

Personally I'd go with HED Jet+ wheels (4 front and disc rear is pretty versatile) and a 23mm GP 5000 up front and a 25mm GP 5000 in the rear. Is there a faster wheel combo for the Speed Concept? Maybe... but not by more than a watt or two and I believe the braking afforded by the Jet Black is worth whatever theoretical delta might exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d be interested to know.

Just found a set of HED trispokes for my SC.
Running tubs, so trying to work out right tyre.

Thinking Specialized all-mountain tub 22mm.
Quote Reply