Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitchers,

If you are on Zwift, I have a race series you should take part in! We are wrapping up our first series, which ends on January 23rd, then we'll take a 1-week break before starting up again on February 6th for 10-12 weeks (still deciding season length).

Our series is partnering with NormaTec Recovery and SBRrockr Rocker Plates to offer up prizes for participants! We'll also be doing some random giveaways throughout the series for fun (best KOM times, DFL place, etc).

I organize this race with some of my teammates (Team DRAFT) and another team (Team DIRT -- Dads Inside Riding Trainers). We make the races fun and I can guarantee your boundaries will be pushed throughout the series.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions!

We're also on Instagram if you would like to follow along and learn more about the series: https://www.instagram.com/morninggrindfondo/
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Jan 14, 19 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those boots are mine!! *mwwwahahahahahaha*
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's the format? separate categories or mass-start for all 4 categories?

double draft or normal draft?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not an organizer, but I'm on team DIRT and participated in the first series. If it stays the same then its: mass start (all 4 cats at once), DD and no power-ups
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the mass start format is rather horrible, especially if there are quite a few starters

a lot of lower cat riders ride on the coat tails of the upper cat riders, and whether they get on the coat tail in the first place is largely due to luck (initial placement and first power up). then there are upper cat riders trapped behind lower cat riders, and have to ride a TT to go through the packs of lower cat riders

much better to have the groups separate and duke it out
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
the mass start format is rather horrible, especially if there are quite a few starters

a lot of lower cat riders ride on the coat tails of the upper cat riders, and whether they get on the coat tail in the first place is largely due to luck (initial placement and first power up). then there are upper cat riders trapped behind lower cat riders, and have to ride a TT to go through the packs of lower cat riders

much better to have the groups separate and duke it out

I agree that the mass start does cause chaos in lower cats. Our first race we had separate starts and the fields were pretty small. It made for a lonely race and we opted for mass starts for a more enjoyable, larger group ride.

We’ll feel out the community on this. I could see doing an A/B start and a C/D start. As for Double Draft, we have used it but I don’t really care either way. I liked the racing under the old algorithm just as much as with the new algorithm.

Also, we are a no-powerup race! It’s annoying to have to wake up even earlier than I already do just to go searching for an aero powerup before the race haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do the races work? Are they just events through the companion app, or organized another way? Would like to join in, but just figuring out the racing side of Zwift
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

What’s the difference between double draft and normal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any other ways to keep track of it, I’ll forget by Feb and rarely use IG.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
How do the races work? Are they just events through the companion app, or organized another way? Would like to join in, but just figuring out the racing side of Zwift

The races are just regular events through the companion app that anyone can join.

The race series is more formally organized as a series through ZwiftPower (Official results site for all Zwift races). Each finishing position in every race is awarded points (1st - 80, 2nd - 72, 3rd - 64, 4th - 60, 5th, 56, 6th - 52, etc.).

Points are accumulated over the course of the series. In our first series which end in 1 week, we allowed people to miss 3 weeks—only your 9 best scores count out of the 12 races we organized.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Jan 15, 19 2:32
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
echappist wrote:

Double draft is what Zwift refers to as “true draft”—and is more closely aligned with outdoor riding, making it easier to “sit in” a group.

If you’re familiar with the “truck” powerup in game, which gives you an increased draft benefit, Double Draft is like having that powerup permanently enabled.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Any other ways to keep track of it, I’ll forget by Feb and rarely use IG.

I would say the best way to keep track will be this thread then. I’ll keep it updated as we progress through the series.

Also, if you have joined ZwiftPower, all results are accumulated and series standings are shown there.

The first series results/events: https://www.zwiftpower.com/league.php?id=60

The next best places to keep track is our Instagram and a Zwift Racing specific Facebook group “Zwift Racers”. We post results/giveaways after every race, and post reminders a day or two ahead of the race with the course info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
MKirk wrote:
echappist wrote:

Double draft is what Zwift refers to as “true draft”—and is more closely aligned with outdoor riding, making it easier to “sit in” a group.

If you’re familiar with the “truck” powerup in game, which gives you an increased draft benefit, Double Draft is like having that powerup permanently enabled.

Thanks....so next question is how do you know if a race/event is double draft or not? Listed in the companion app event description?? If a race/event is Not double draft, does that mean if you are sitting in or out front......it's the same - so no draft effect what so ever? I'm fairly new to Zwift so still trying to figure these things out.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Thanks....so next question is how do you know if a race/event is double draft or not? Listed in the companion app event description?? If a race/event is Not double draft, does that mean if you are sitting in or out front......it's the same - so no draft effect what so ever? I'm fairly new to Zwift so still trying to figure these things out.

Zwift events with Double Draft (DD) enabled will have a #doubledraft hashtag underneath the course when you go to look at racer sign-ups for an event on the Companion app...horrible way to do it IMO, but that's how Zwift does it.

Races without double draft enabled aren't "draftless" -- they just provide less draft benefit. Zwift is largely about getting fitter--so the draft was dialed back initially so that sitting behind a rider still offered some more work. You'll absolutely notice a difference riding at the front of the peloton compared to the back both with and without DD enabled....DD just makes it a little easier to sit in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
TriowaCPA wrote:
MKirk wrote:
echappist wrote:

You will see #DoubleDraft when you go into the race. See the screenshot from my companion app.
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Jan 15, 19 9:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this race twice. Love everything about it. I would definitely recommend it for beginners and even more experienced racers alike.

+1 for team DIRT.
Last edited by: SHock: Jan 15, 19 9:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very new to Zwift (as in first ride a few days ago). I didn’t really enjoy it but I just kinda jumped into an event without knowing anything. I may give this a try tomorrow morning - probably in the c/d group. Need to figure out which is right for me first.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please do!!

I put up some tips for the race on our Instagram which will be very helpful since you’ve never raced the course: https://www.instagram.com/...;igshid=juogxdwbk4gc

Also, this link to Zwift Insider’s course preview shows the profile of the course: https://zwiftinsider.com/innsbruckring/

C & D categories will be doing 3 laps. The climb is very short but tough!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I saw the insta post. Very helpful.

Also, found the ride in the companion app and saw in the notes that I’ve got to be opted in to Zwift power to count in standings. I went over to that site and haven’t figured out where to do that so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never mind. I think I’ve got it sorted. Couldn’t find it on my phones browser but see it on the iPad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, no offerings on the west coast?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3:45 am?! I question your definition of “morning”.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
So, no offerings on the west coast?

Unfortunately, only if you are noctural/crazy. I feel bad that the schedule is the way it is—but it was hard to pick a time late enough that out east coasters (one of our organizers) could come to every race.

I would like to think we could slot in another race in the future for other time zones—I have a lot of teammates who would like to race but also value their sleep too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Race Series: Morning Grind Fondo p/b NormaTec and SBRrockr [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
3:45 am?! I question your definition of “morning”.

Can’t ride all day if you don’t start before the sun comes up!!

You know as well as anybody that I am certifiably insane with the time I train at.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Jan 15, 19 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it could be possible to have both and then mix results.
Quote Reply

Prev Next