Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

vomero 14's
Quote | Reply
i have run devotedly in the 13's (put about 2500 miles on the 13's this past season--different shoes, but consistently teh 13's). I just switched to the 14s. after a week of about 55 miles put on them (some tempo. mostly easy runs) i started to experience pain in my inner ankle--similar to posterior tibial tendinitis (at least the location of the pain was similar. never had PTT, so don't know if the symptoms are alike). went back to my 13's this morning and the pain is almost all gone.

do you guys think this has to do with the new cushioning/react foam? anyone with similar experience?
Quote Reply
Re: vomero 14's [lmb326] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caveat: have not and very likely will not try the Vomero 14 since I'm done with >6mm drops and pointy toe boxes for the foreseeable future.

Everyone I know who tried them, regardless of liking them or not, agree they are now a very different shoe than what the Vomero traditionally was and offered.
If you're happy with a shoe, experience pain with another shoe and the pain disappears with the previous shoe, it's fair to say that Occam's Razor should apply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are so many changes to that shoe it would be too difficult to pinpoint what is causing you issues. I would go back and find a Vomero 13 or a couple of them knowing they work really well for you then start looking for a replacement once those are done.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: vomero 14's [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, it's just a shame bc i really like how the new vomero's felt (until the pain developed). same thing happened when i tried hoka's last season. after about a week, pain/tenderness on the inner part of my ankle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea, that's what i plan on doing once the pain subsides. luckily they are much cheaper and still readily available
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be interested to see if you developed a different wear pattern on the sole.

It isn't the React - as a foam - technology, but may be how it's been used to stabilize (or not) against some issue you may have with your gait/strike.

100% can back up that it's a different shoe - I'd go so far as to say that it shares nothing in common with last year's model.
Quote Reply
Re: vomero 14's [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that they want the shoes to at least look different each year, but I really don't understand why they radically redesign them almost every year. I used to love the Vomero's. I have had good luck with a few of the versions, but have had really bad luck with others. The ones that worked were perfect. The ones that didn't were not just slightly off, but downright painful. Seems like a pretty silly way to go about designing incremental versions of running shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: vomero 14's [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thing is, with the Vomero, Nike opted on a fundamental change. It's no longer the same type of shoe. Maybe they were trying to do their version of a max cushion but keeping the 10mm drop? Not sure. But I'm sure the only way it's still a Vomero is in name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing no one has really questioned with Nike's repositioning of this shoe is "what are their elite runners wearing for the easy/recovery days?" The Vomero was always their (pretty much ALL marathoners) go-to favorite and now that they don't have a comparable shoe, what are they wearing? My guess is they stocked up on old Vomero shoes until Nike releases something comparable.
Quote Reply
Re: vomero 14's [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have wondered about this for all shoe companies. I don't understand why any of them change a shoe outside of the patterns unless that particular model isn't popular. I understand advancements in technologies, but if they want to drastically change a shoe, create a new shoe and don't leave it up to the user to find that out AFTER they purchase the new model. Maybe I am missing something and brands have a direction in mind for the advancement of certain shoes, or a place where they state that the shoe no longer feels or functions the same way for buyers? I wouldn't mind hearing from someone who actually works in the industry on this because it seems weird.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: vomero 14's [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been a vomero user for years so this is not good news... What are some comparable shoes in other brands?
Quote Reply
Re: vomero 14's [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kipchoge seems to be a fan of the Peg Turbo for that purpose, but I don't actually know.
Farrah uses the Pegasus for anything that isn't series, strides, speed, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: vomero 14's [airhol2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
airhol2 wrote:
I’ve been a vomero user for years so this is not good news... What are some comparable shoes in other brands?
I'm partial to the Skechers GRR7 right now and will try the GoRun MaxRoad 3 Ultra next for the same purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Kipchoge seems to be a fan of the Peg Turbo for that purpose, but I don't actually know.

I have heard that about Kipchoge but I don't really believe it. Call me skeptical but if you get a pic of him on a recovery 8 miler, I doubt he wears a 7oz shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: vomero 14's [airhol2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
airhol2 wrote:

Asics Nimbus, Brooks Glycerin, Adidas Solar Boost, 361º Spire, and Saucony Triumph (only 8mm drop though) are a few. I've had the Vomero 10's-12's. I grabbed some Solar Boosts at a great price to try out and have enjoyed them on my longer runs. Feel a little less snappy than my Vomeros...but I'm using them on longer, slower runs and don't mind.
Quote Reply
Re: vomero 14's [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Thorax wrote:

I have heard that about Kipchoge but I don't really believe it. Call me skeptical but if you get a pic of him on a recovery 8 miler, I doubt he wears a 7oz shoe.
Weight itself might not be an indicator as there's plenty of shoes around the same weight (7.9oz/224g) with a higher stack (the Turbo has 17mm at the forefoot). NB Beacon, Skechers GOrun Razor 3 Hyper being two prime examples.

That said, I also don't believe it. Seems like a planted pseudo-rumour to sell a $180 shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed the vomero 13s for the most part, they were very comfortable even after a few 100 miles but I really didn't enjoy the weight. I was going to get the epic react for my slow runs as they were lightweight and seem to have a lot of cushioning. I ended up just going back to pegs. Pegs never caused me issues, can be found 1/2 price all of the time, and they aren't changed too much yr to yr. I've got the 35s now and really like them. I am still curious to give the epic reacts a go. But nike definitely doesn't have a competitor to the ghost, nimbus, etc right now.
Quote Reply