Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice for Air France Bike Travel
Quote | Reply
I am racing IM Greece 70.3 in April and purchased Air France flights (Houston to Athens) at a great low price (prices are now double what I paid with all other airlines). In 2015, I flew Air France to Greece before (no bike) and had a great experience especially compared to flying United. In the past, I have traveled with a Scicon hard case but noticed it is a few inches larger of what is allowed by Air France. Air France allows bike containers with a size limit of 68 x 8 x 33 in (175 x 21.5 x 86 cm) for $150 USD each way. The Scicon case measures 44 x 14 x 37 in. I see I have a few options:

• Air France has an oversize baggage fee of $300 USD each way
  • Per website, Air France offers "bike containers" that measure within limits. My guess is it is a box. I am not sure on cost and quality.
  • I did a quick search on a few bike box companies and noticed most boxes do not fit within the depth requirements (8"). But maybe finding another suitable container for the bike?
So, I am seeking advice from those who have traveled with the Air France "bike container" or other bike cases/boxes that met their requirements.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Jan 14, 19 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Air France Bike Travel [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've flown KLM (same company) with EVOC bike bags. No oversized charge, but they certainly gouge you with the bike fees.
I'm pretty sure my friend used a Scicon last year without oversize charge as well.
But... it's always a roll of the dice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The AF web site for bike travel states that you must declare it a couple of days before, and it is supposed to be a 50€ or so upcharge.
Now... I did travel with Air France on my way to Kona last october (Paris - San Francisco and back), and I did not declare anything. And I was not charged with anything. I had a Scicon hard case and it went to oversized luggage without any issues. The guy at the counter asked some questions if it was an electric bike as batteries need to be removed, but that was all.
Last edited by: soll: Jan 14, 19 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I flew KLM in September from Houston to Cape Town. $150 each way - same as Air France for a bike bag (EVOC)

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Jan 14, 19 15:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I see on the Air France website that flying from Houston (North America) is a zone 4 flight. At the top of the page I see:

Taking sports equipment on your trip? No problem! Just make sure your equipment weighs no more than 23 kg / 50 lb (or 32 kg / 70 lb in the Business or La Première cabins) and that its total dimensions are 300 cm / 118 in* or under (Emphasis mine). You will need to get prior approval from our customer service department in some cases. This approval is always required when traveling as a group (10 or more passengers). You must submit your request at least 48 hours before your flight’s departure.

The dimensions of your bike box is 95 inches.

I have traveled out of Houston to Canada and Europe (twice) with a bike. Some airlines are better than others about bikes. Sometimes you get lucky, other times not.

Edit: the Air France website has the 68 X 8 X 33 is the size of their bike box, I don't see that as the maximum size permitted. The maximum size is what I put above, 118 inches. You should be good.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Last edited by: hblake: Jan 14, 19 16:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would budget for the extra cost, do not call ahead and show up and see what happens when you check in. Show up early, smile and be nice, I doubt they will measure the case.

I have flown 3 times over seas with the jumbo tandem bike- pro travel case and think it does measure too tall, but they have never measured it. It is not a tandem with couplers so I keep it under 70 lbs and get charged for 1 extra over sized bag, but just plan on it as a trip cost.
I have always gotten charged less on the return flight as they don't seem as intent on sticking it to you. I have some friends that fly Delta out of SLC and they almost always have to pay out the ass for 2 road bikes in seperate cases.

If you have to pay just get it over with and don't let it bother you prior to the race. You will have enough going on with travel and race prep. No extra stress!
You can always contact them after and see if they will refund the extra cost.

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Air France Bike Travel [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah. Your edit comment was very helpful. At first I didn't understand the 118 inches total measurement on the website (which was the same on the KLM website) so I clicked on the 'sports equipment' page and read it as if the bike case measurements had to fit within the 68 x 8 x 33 in. Now that you pointed that out, you are correct - that is their bike box measurement and they don't require you to fit within those specs. Funny thing is I contacted an online representative with Air France a few weeks ago and I am pretty sure she did the same thing - read it incorrectly off of the website. Thank you for pointing that out. I figure now the less questions I ask, the less confusion there may be if I show up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys for the feedback. It was really helpful. I see the best way to go about it is to really just show up with the bike in case.

A few weeks ago I called an AF representative that seemed just as confused about the case dimensions and the show up/report it 2 days early requirement. I know the plane will be big enough to accommodate the bike case which is my guess on why they have you check early. I also see the representative read the webpage incorrectly (as did I) that the bike case had to fit within the same dimensions as their box.

So, am learning from your experiences, it's just better to not ask too many questions and be cool if they charge me an oversize fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
Ah. Your edit comment was very helpful. At first I didn't understand the 118 inches total

That's the key. Bikes are $150 each way unless you have a super strange massive case for it like for a tandem or something.

Also, depending on the airport you leave from the payment and dropoff of the bike may be different.

In Paris, you drop off your normal checked back and they give you a tag for your bike. You go drop off your bike. Then you have to go to this little separate counter after that to pay for the extra bag fee and have them re-print or update your ticket. If you do NOT do this, you won't make it through security as your boarding pass won't be valid.

So, be sure to remember to pay and that them not asking for payment at the first drop off isn't a "freebie". It's just the process they have.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Air France Bike Travel [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I see on the Air France website that flying from Houston (North America) is a zone 4 flight. At the top of the page I see:

Taking sports equipment on your trip? No problem! Just make sure your equipment weighs no more than 23 kg / 50 lb (or 32 kg / 70 lb in the Business or La Première cabins) and that its total dimensions are 300 cm / 118 in* or under (Emphasis mine). You will need to get prior approval from our customer service department in some cases. This approval is always required when traveling as a group (10 or more passengers). You must submit your request at least 48 hours before your flight’s departure.

The dimensions of your bike box is 95 inches.

I have traveled out of Houston to Canada and Europe (twice) with a bike. Some airlines are better than others about bikes. Sometimes you get lucky, other times not.

Edit: the Air France website has the 68 X 8 X 33 is the size of their bike box, I don't see that as the maximum size permitted. The maximum size is what I put above, 118 inches. You should be good.

This is the correct analysis. I went through this over the summer and when I called them we had some difficulties because my scicon case was greater than those stated dimensions but after I pointed out that it was still under 118 inches the rep confirmed that I was good to go (He was confused too, so had to speak with a manager). Can't hurt to call often just to confirm your bike reservation.

They didn't measure the case at check in but they did weigh it (and were strict about it too) so I would make sure you are under the required amount. YMMV

FWIW I actually didn't have to pay the $150 because I have delta status which also gives Airfrance status. Its not a stated benefit but if there is a way you can do a status match or upgrade in order to check-in through the priority lanes at the airport they might be more lenient or willing to forget about the fee.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Air France Bike Travel [grtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. To be safe I will call in a few days ahead of my flight.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Air France Bike Travel [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I won't try to circumvent the normal fees. I just wont bring up the dimensions unless they do and get confused. This is my first time racing internationally and definitely don't want the bike lost/left behind either.
Quote Reply