Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
I am on my second Kickr Core and (first one replaced quickly because of what Wahoo called a "known problem").

This second one puts out about 13% more power that what Trainerroad says to put out. I have tested it out on timed intervals at given power levels against my Power 2 max crank based PM which was connected to my Garmin.

The first one I had matched my crank based meter perfectly (before the problem), and now my second one has this power problem.

I emailed Wahoo, hopefully they will cover it as quickly and efficiently as they did on the first one.

I am feeling a little victim to being an early customer on the Core. Wahoos customer service seemed great so hopefully this one will get replaced and I can have a perfectly functioning trainer once and for all....

Quoting my own post for background. So I am on Kickr Core # 3, and it has the exact same problem as Kickr Core #1. After working perfectly for several rides on Trainerroad, it just stopped providing resistance or registering any speed. It is visible as a device in Trainer Road and also in the Wahoo Utility app, but it does not seem to communicate speed or power between the two. I noticed that #3 had the original firmware when I got it so I am guessing that Wahoo sent me an older one as a replacement for #2. This is the same problem that they said was a "known issue" and took the first one back no more questions asked.

So in about 40 days I will potentially be on my fourth Kickr Core.

Has anyone else had issues? I cant be the only one.

I have been pretty nice so far as they have been responsive, but I may need to give up on the Kickr Core.
Last edited by: endosch2: Jan 13, 19 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont have much to add aside from the fact that i have a different trainer, and it is not without the odd issue too. Sounds like they are all a bit wonky now and then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talked a non-power user friend into buying a CORE. (nothing like the responsibility of convincing someone else to spend $1000) Had immediate problems - couldn't do required spin down because the brake would self-apply as you sped up. 14-15 MPH maximum achievable. Connection to Zwift was available with proper pairing showing, but after the first couple of short rides, there were no speed, watts, cadence figures and the avatar just sat by the side of the road. Spent several long frustrating days trying to fix/figure it out (Wahoo said it must be outside interference), I found a thread with multiple stories (like yours) of exactly the same problems. My opinion (typical Twitcher offering opinion about something I know nothing about) is that they bought a large number of circuit boards of which a significant number are faulty (and even worse, for them, do not fail until they have been used for an unknown time).
After finding this information, I returned the unit and replaced it with a KICKR. I'm not interested in going through that frustrating CORE experience more than once.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
Talked a non-power user friend into buying a CORE. (nothing like the responsibility of convincing someone else to spend $1000) Had immediate problems - couldn't do required spin down because the brake would self-apply as you sped up. 14-15 MPH maximum achievable. Connection to Zwift was available with proper pairing showing, but after the first couple of short rides, there were no speed, watts, cadence figures and the avatar just sat by the side of the road. Spent several long frustrating days trying to fix/figure it out (Wahoo said it must be outside interference), I found a thread with multiple stories (like yours) of exactly the same problems. My opinion (typical Twitcher offering opinion about something I know nothing about) is that they bought a large number of circuit boards of which a significant number are faulty (and even worse, for them, do not fail until they have been used for an unknown time).
After finding this information, I returned the unit and replaced it with a KICKR. I'm not interested in going through that frustrating CORE experience more than once.

Where was that thread? I would like to read it. I am thinking that the Core may not be ready for prime time and thus I may call it quits now and move on to another trainer.

I will say that their customer service has been great, but that does not help to ease my fears of this continuing to happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
trimule wrote:

Where was that thread? I would like to read it. I am thinking that the Core may not be ready for prime time and thus I may call it quits now and move on to another trainer.

I will say that their customer service has been great, but that does not help to ease my fears of this continuing to happen.

I certainly understand your frustration. And...Wahoo has not been bulletproof at all with the quality of at least the first batch of both models of kickr 2018. BUT....

Looking at Zwift's data, zwiftalizer, and Eric Min's comments on facebook, a lot of the connection issues in general have to do with the computer and internet connection, not zwift or the trainer. I would even venture to guess that if it is the circuitry in the trainer causing the issue, the core and kickr use the same circuits. (Does anyone know if this is true?)

At any rate, it's worth trying to systematically attempt to troubleshoot. Starting with your USB port (which version, is it always powered? etc. For instance, the left side USB on my Macbook air always drops, right side doesn't), the reliability of the internet signal (checked on zwiftalizer?) then the ANT+ dongle and its placement, other ANT+ devices in the vicinity that could be confusing it (garmin watches, though this has never been as issue for me, for some it has, other power meters not in use etc), then TV remotes, electrical wires, fan placement, microwaves.

I hope you get this sorted out...the workout should be the hardest part of indoor training not getting everything to work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe it was this one: https://forums.zwift.com/...-reading-power/14083
(I looked at so many references that my head got a bit clogged)
Last edited by: trimule: Jan 13, 19 17:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
I believe it was this one: https://forums.zwift.com/...-reading-power/14083
(I looked at so many references that my head got a bit clogged)

Look at the DC Rainmaker review comments section for the Kickr Core, lots of issues. It seems to be blowing up right now for Wahoo. At least 10 to 12 others with identical problems in the last week. Ray brought it to the attention of the CEO. Wahoo has told me this is known issue with the core.
Last edited by: endosch2: Jan 14, 19 4:29
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
endosch2 wrote:
trimule wrote:

I certainly understand your frustration. And...Wahoo has not been bulletproof at all with the quality of at least the first batch of both models of kickr 2018. BUT....

Looking at Zwift's data, zwiftalizer, and Eric Min's comments on facebook, a lot of the connection issues in general have to do with the computer and internet connection, not zwift or the trainer. I would even venture to guess that if it is the circuitry in the trainer causing the issue, the core and kickr use the same circuits. (Does anyone know if this is true?)

At any rate, it's worth trying to systematically attempt to troubleshoot. Starting with your USB port (which version, is it always powered? etc. For instance, the left side USB on my Macbook air always drops, right side doesn't), the reliability of the internet signal (checked on zwiftalizer?) then the ANT+ dongle and its placement, other ANT+ devices in the vicinity that could be confusing it (garmin watches, though this has never been as issue for me, for some it has, other power meters not in use etc), then TV remotes, electrical wires, fan placement, microwaves.

I hope you get this sorted out...the workout should be the hardest part of indoor training not getting everything to work!

I have diagnosed properly. This is not at all the issue, first- I don't use Zwift, I use Trainerroad. It is not a Zwift gremlin.

Second, the trainer is visible but not transmitting any data whether I use my laptop and ANT, Android and Bluetooth, and Mac OS and bluetooth. All were paired and operated independently with the others turned off. The Kickr exibits the same behavior regardless of the platform communicating with it. If you read the user comments feedback on the Wahoo Core Review at DC Rainmaker and also looking at the fact they have admitted this is a known issue, this is not a end user error.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me and my wife bought one Kickr Core each, received them in November. I start by setting mine up, everything works fine (and has since).

A couple of weeks later I set up my wife’s unit. There is a very loud chafing/scraping noise. I have the unit replaced and received the replacement a few weeks later. I set up the replacement unit, same issue.

I received another replacement unit a week ago and set it up this weekend. Everything seems fine - no noise and installation works properly. My wife downloads the Wahoo fitness app and connects the trainer, performs the spindown and is all set to go. When she shall go for a ride this morning, the unit connects but does not transmit any power data and there is almost no resistance. Seems like the replacement replacement unit has the “motherboard bug”...

I am starting to get a bit fed up.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just picked up a Core Kicker. Worked for about 2 minutes then stopped reading power or speed. Called Wahoo and the customer service rep said it needs to be replaced. Was hoping to ride it this weekend hopefully the replacement works for longer than 2 minutes!

Back to riding my computrainer for a few more days.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [mfperez999] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mfperez999 wrote:
Just picked up a Core Kicker. Worked for about 2 minutes then stopped reading power or speed. Called Wahoo and the customer service rep said it needs to be replaced. Was hoping to ride it this weekend hopefully the replacement works for longer than 2 minutes!

Back to riding my computrainer for a few more days.

I'm literally a week or two away from buying one of these, but all of the horror story posts are making me consider other options!
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both my dad and I have had ours for a few months and have had no issues at all. I use my Quarq for power readings so those could be off but they weren’t that far off when I got it. Don’t let the bad reviews worry you too much because more people share bad reviews than good ones!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one for a little over 2 months without any issues. Having said that I did replace it with a previously order Tacx Neo 2 that was on back order since November. I’ve had the Neo for a little over a week now and I’ve been real happy with it. I was kinda glad to get rid of the Core as I was starting to get worried that my unit would start having issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had my Core now for about a month, so far its been pretty good. The resistance unit is responsive and I love the ERG mod. the Bluetooth and ant+ connections both work Fine.

A couple of things. The power reading differs from my Stages by about 10 - 20w and seems to decrease over time.." so to keep it the same as the Stages I need to perform 1 spin down after 5-10 mins and another after 30 or so mins.

The other thing is that I can’t seem to work out how to control the power using my Stages PM.... Tried a couple of times and it says it’s doing it but there is no power control (I use ERG mode virtually all the time). Any suggestions on how to get this to work?
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [Stimps9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only used the Core/Quarq combo on Zwift but if that is your issue I have my power source as Quarq then Core as the Controllable Trainer and it matches my Quarq to power and changes resistance based off of that.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only suggestion I have is to make sure it's not in ERG mode in Zwift in TRAINING. That really messes around with power and speed.
In fact it seems it won't let you raise the power displayed beyond the power prescribed.
I rode with my garmin showing power of 300+ watts while the display remained below 200.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLACKSHEEP wrote:
The only suggestion I have is to make sure it's not in ERG mode in Zwift in TRAINING. That really messes around with power and speed.
In fact it seems it won't let you raise the power displayed beyond the power prescribed.
I rode with my garmin showing power of 300+ watts while the display remained below 200.

Thanks, I use Trainerroad, not Zwift. Wahoo is replacing it again. I will see what happens. Isolated problems don't lead to 4 bum trainers in a row. I work in software and consider myself pretty tolerant of issues. Wahoos technical support has been outstanding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This video just came out regarding the issues, thank you to DC Rainmaker and the Wahoo CEO for encouraging transparent communication on the product and the problems I have experienced.

https://www.youtube.com/...MgromwkTOs&t=95s
Quote Reply

Prev Next