Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Men in tights
Quote | Reply
Ok, those northerners. How do you run in tights? Shorts underneath, shorts on top? Of junktastic?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Ok, those northerners. How do you run in tights? Shorts underneath, shorts on top? Of junktastic?

Not a northerner...but, I'm either shorts on top, unless its a brick. In which case junk-tastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer no shorts over mine, because they just get cold, wet, and soggy. If people think it looks bad, ask them when was the last time they were in Wal-Mart? Plus, I run early in low light situations.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shorts over tights only if the windchill is colder than -15C.

Canadian Professional Triathlete

Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran for a small D1 school and used to run with shorts over tights until I was back home visiting and ran with some of my friends at the large D1 school where I grew up and I was told it was a 'no no' to run with shorts over tights so I stopped then and haven't since.

Edit: I do however run with tri-shorts or Underarmor boxer briefs under for a little extra warmth and so the world doesn't have to see my mushroom outline.

---
You'e opinion is only as good as your signature line
-Chris
Last edited by: ChrisTN: Jan 11, 19 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

I usually wear a pair of tri shorts under my tights. I also have a few pairs of JL's (rowing spandex) that I have from my rowing days. On super cold days with wind I've thrown a wool sock up front to protect the junk - I've only really needed this if the windchill is -20 or below.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Jan 11, 19 9:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the UA compression underwear under my tights (no shorts on top)...keeps everything in place and is an additional layer of warmth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wat? shorts on top of tights? seriously?

I live in suburban Vancouver and see loads of dudes running in tights in the winter and like nobody wears shorts over-top. I feel like it would be kinda awkward to wear too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shorts on top... but only so i have somewhere to stash my phone/keys. my running tops and tights dont have pockets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's cold enough for tights, it's cold enough for a wind brief underneath. No shorts over tights.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never shorts over, just running underwear and if its cold, running underwear with a windscreen on the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wicking brief underneath. How is this a question? I thought everyone did it this way. Although when I wear tights without a single pocket, I do see the value in shorts over, or a top layer with some sort of pocket. Turns out storage in nature's pocket is uncomfortable when running.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a few pairs of tights with the shorts over top built in. So technically 1 article of clothing. Hides the bulge and adds a little more warmth for the boys.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
storage in nature's pocket is uncomfortable when running.

Oh My!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same guys that wear a towel to the shower and back are the ones wearing the shorts over the tights :)
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a novice at running. But my under-armour tights are only good to about 40 deg. Below 40 I either do the winter cycling bib tights only or do "synthetic gym sweat pants with brushed inside". I like the cycling bib tights for the suspenders and the fact some of my tighter shirts I wear running tend to "ride up". If they do, they never get far enough up to matter when wearing bib tights.

I do shorts over the UA tights, but not over the cycling bib.

I totally over dressed the other night. A front was supposed to come through right as I left the front door for an hour trot (I said I was a novice). Yup, front stalled and I soaked my hoodie through my base layer. I did however recognize it happening and decided to keep it on, but just not stop and end up getting chills. So, kept the route "fluid" so no stops longer than like 15 seconds.

I bet that smells wonderful in the clothes hamper about right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a northerner, but a Rocky mountainer. Never, ever, shorts over tights, lest ye be ridiculed. I have some old Zoot tri shorts, really short leg on them, so they work great under tights.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shorts over tights....if you're still in high school.

If it's cold or windy enough for multiple layers, I wear insulated briefs under the tights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never shorts over tights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you were shorts over your swim jammers or bike kit?
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I'm a novice at running. But my under-armour tights are only good to about 40 deg. Below 40 I either do the winter cycling bib tights only or do "synthetic gym sweat pants with brushed inside". I like the cycling bib tights for the suspenders and the fact some of my tighter shirts I wear running tend to "ride up". If they do, they never get far enough up to matter when wearing bib tights.

I do shorts over the UA tights, but not over the cycling bib.

I totally over dressed the other night. A front was supposed to come through right as I left the front door for an hour trot (I said I was a novice). Yup, front stalled and I soaked my hoodie through my base layer. I did however recognize it happening and decided to keep it on, but just not stop and end up getting chills. So, kept the route "fluid" so no stops longer than like 15 seconds.

I bet that smells wonderful in the clothes hamper about right now.

40*F is what, about 5*C?

That's shorts weather around here....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on the tights. If it's below 20 an I'm one of those Craft tights/pants, I wear some brief underneath. For warmer cold days and if I'm wearing something that's more like skin tights, I wear a pair of running shorts over, and nothing underneath. There are tights in-between, and I normally just run in them commando style.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wicking brief underneath, windproof if needed. But NEVER shorts over tights, especially since that combo is on this list: https://www.runnersworld.com/...t-50-years/?slide=30
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
Shorts over tights....if you're still in high school.

If it's cold or windy enough for multiple layers, I wear insulated briefs under the tights.

No but to be fair... I can see through my tights much easier, the bike kit has the chamois, and jammers are generally a pool only deal. I mean unless I’m REALLY drunk.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Junktastic. I mean, the tights I wear are thick for the warmth so it doesn't exactly leave a well defined outline but you don't need much of an imagination, i guess

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next