Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my position
Quote | Reply

I’ve used the same position on my P3 for long course racing for many years, but for 2019 I’m focusing on sprint and olympic distance so I figure I can get a little more aggressive with bike position. I recently dropped my front end down approx 1.5cm to try to get more aero. It feels ok most of the time, although I get tight hamstrings and/or glutes if I did squats or leg press the day before.
After getting my wife to take the linked video I realized I don't look quite as low as I hoped(ie flattish back). I’m at the minimum arm rest drop as per the FIST formula so I could drop it down a bit more, but worry about the hamstrings getting tight. Would sliding my arms forward so my hands cover the shifters be a better option to try rather than dropping the bars again?
Also does the seat height look ok? I recently dropped that down a few millimeters for crotch comfort.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [Torrent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sprints are what? 15ish miles? Short enough that uncomfortable doesn’t matter if you have watts and have CdA.

Not sure your flexibility or background but if you can’t get low and part is due to the gym exercises....there’s a clue.

Up to you the balance in life you desire, and your personal flexibility, but I’m used to TT stuff and would not sacrifice handfuls of watts for some leg press or squats.

I’ll leave the tech stuff to the fitters here.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point re weight lifting. Though weight training will taper off significantly by Late Feb. I should also be more comfortable getting low when I lose the extra pounds I've packed on during the off season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your saddle might be a little low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torrent wrote:
I’m at the minimum arm rest drop as per the FIST formula

Formulas are for starting points, after that you really have to look at each athlete as an individual. If you want to be more aero, you are going to have to drop those pads at some point (and also possibly extend the hands a bit). The only way to know if your hamstrings will be tight is to set it up and try. Although, I think the way to do it is to set up a fast aero position in which you can put out your best power for the duration required, and then fine tune to deal with minor discomfort.

Quote:
Also does the seat height look ok? I recently dropped that down a few millimeters for crotch comfort.

It may be slightly low, although it's hard to tell from that angle (next time shoot video directly from the side). But, not to sound like a broken record, it seems more likely that you're not on the right saddle if you need it that low to be comfortable on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raise the saddle 1 cm. Move the saddle forward 2 cm. Move the armpads and extensions forward 3 cm.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you have periscope head

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the tips. I'll make changes, ride it a bit and post a follow up video
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL indeed! Ok noted, less periscope head, more turtle head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I've updated my position by moving up and forward, which feels much better and likely more aero. Turtling my head will take some practice to hold but should be easy by the time summer rolls around.

Feel free to critique the updated position :)

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torrent wrote:
Good point re weight lifting. Though weight training will taper off significantly by Late Feb. I should also be more comfortable getting low when I lose the extra pounds I've packed on during the off season.
No, it's a terrible point. Unless you were getting bodybuilder-sized legs from squatting (you're not, no one is) and the size was limiting your ROM, mobility and flexibility has nothing to do with you lifting but everything to do with you needing mobility work. Plenty people have crazy mobility while lifting (almost every weightlifter I know of) while plenty people have the mobility of a tree without lifting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need video - when you're stopped like that you lock your knees out in order to stabilize yourself, and it's impossible to assess saddle height.

You also need to move your elbows forward on the pad quite a bit. You may have to move the extensions to get more reach. If you run out of extension because they are too short, you need new extensions.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did also did take a video of my updated position, but didn't post because I forgot to tuck my head down. Should be ok for assessing seat height.

I think my extensions will be ok. I realized looking at the video and pic that I should slide my arms up so my hands are right on the shifters and not bent down at ~70degrees a couple cm in front of the shifters.

Thanks for your help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle needs to come up 15 mm and adjust your elbow position and record another video.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't clear- I don't think weight training limits ROM long term, but for me in the short term it does, just due to soreness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok saddle raised and elbows/ hands moved forward. Feels sustainable

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle is a little high now. I took you too far. Drop it 5-10 mm.

Angle the extensions upwards a few degrees as well.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks I'll make those changes
Quote Reply