Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you could....Van? [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:
Pretty relevant to me as I just moved into an RV over the past few days with my wife, baby, and 2 dogs. While I do race as a Pro, my lifestyle still resembles more of an amateur as I work full time as a Travel Nurse. My wife and I decided we didn’t want to keep apartment hopping between my assignments, so we decided on a 2002 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser.

We’re still in the very early stages but we’re pretty optimistic. We just got parked in Tucson for the winter where I should start work Monday. But obviously there is some great training here too!

My wife did a post awhile back on my blog about our decision a few months ago if anyone is interested.
http://feighathlon.com/...me-sweet-suncruiser/

Definitely open to any advice from anyone or to answer any questions about our set up!

make that driveway bigger
Quote Reply
Re: If you could....Van? [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a great adventure you are on, are you planning on moving to a new location for each of your upcoming races you can drive to? IF you want to get in some great altitude training in LA, give me a shout. I have a full hookup spot up in the high desert, right next to 10k mountains, and Dan would like the company..

My only advice is to remember that this is your window for this kind of living, when the kids get older, things get harder and harder. So if things aren't going quite right, try and visualize yourself 20 years from now, looking back. I guarantee that whatever time you spend on the road, it will not seem like it was enough when you are older...
Quote Reply
Re: If you could....Van? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Feighathlon wrote:
Pretty relevant to me as I just moved into an RV over the past few days with my wife, baby, and 2 dogs. While I do race as a Pro, my lifestyle still resembles more of an amateur as I work full time as a Travel Nurse. My wife and I decided we didn’t want to keep apartment hopping between my assignments, so we decided on a 2002 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser.

We’re still in the very early stages but we’re pretty optimistic. We just got parked in Tucson for the winter where I should start work Monday. But obviously there is some great training here too!

My wife did a post awhile back on my blog about our decision a few months ago if anyone is interested.
http://feighathlon.com/...me-sweet-suncruiser/

Definitely open to any advice from anyone or to answer any questions about our set up!

make that driveway bigger

We have a whopping 2 extra inches after the slides are out. Backing it in was terrifying, especially with my father in law riding on the roof to help maneuver cables out of the way.

That said, when are you coming over? We don’t have to invite Jesse.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: If you could....Van? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
What a great adventure you are on, are you planning on moving to a new location for each of your upcoming races you can drive to? IF you want to get in some great altitude training in LA, give me a shout. I have a full hookup spot up in the high desert, right next to 10k mountains, and Dan would like the company..

My only advice is to remember that this is your window for this kind of living, when the kids get older, things get harder and harder. So if things aren't going quite right, try and visualize yourself 20 years from now, looking back. I guarantee that whatever time you spend on the road, it will not seem like it was enough when you are older...

Race location will play a factor into where we decide to go, but ultimately it largely depends what is available for me for work. If I can find a decent paying hospital with a good set up for training and living, that would typically weigh in a good bit more.

That’s VERY generous and I may message you down the line if it seems possible. California has a lot of (well paying) travel nurse positions, and especially in the LA area (cost of living factors into my stipends). I don’t currently have my CA license, but I definitely see it coming at some point. The availability of a large airport nearby also would greatly help with race travel.

You’re absolutely right about this being the perfect time. After the birth of our child it would have been very easy to do the traditional route of both continuing working as normal and enrolling in daycare. We are way out of our comfort zones, but have zero regrets yet in our decisions. We get to explore the country, spend more time together as a family, and make a ton of memories. We will continually be reassessing if we want to continue, especially as school time comes around in around 4ish years.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: If you could....Van? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
This guy was my hero, I still think about doing this with my 5 person family, at least for a year. Tried it for 6 weeks this summer in the RV, and I and the kids loved it, wife is agnostic, but likes that the rest of us are having a great time;

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._%22Doc%22_Paskowitz

After watching the documentary on him I was struck by the lack of options he gave his kids by his lifestyle choice. He always has his medical degree to fall back on and find employment but his kids were not afforded that luxury.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could....Van? [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, i know it's cool and edgy and all to say formal education is worthless, but I definitely prefer my doctors and scientists, and engineers to be formally trained. Sounds more like he was on a power trip than anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could....Van? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Can't beat a van...
Past three years all our race travel and living from a 144" sprinter...

Last edited by: Flagster: Jan 21, 19 17:42
Quote Reply

Prev Next