Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman 70.3 Lubbock
Quote | Reply
Looks like the course is moving on from Buffalo Springs Lake. After having disaster races out there the past two years, I was looking forward to going back and trying to finally overcome what was always a very tough course, so for me the announcement is a bit bittersweet. I will definitely be racing it though!

Looks like two transitions; and although the bike course starts and ends in town, the majority of it is still near the old course out by the canyons, up and over the same hills. The run is flat and does not have that crazy hill out of Ransom Canyon

https://ironmanlubbock.com/

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Jan 8, 19 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, unexpected. Hopefully Mike Greer comes on and shares some facts on why. I've done it 5 of the last 6 years and liked the current course. I wonder if the BS Lake residents chased us away.

The bike course catches some of the old climbs, but by my count 8 climbs out of the canyon is now only 4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this mean it's no longer independently owned? No more buffalo trophies? Or just new course? Link wasn't working...
Last edited by: Sean H: Jan 8, 19 10:46
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The main IM page still shows it as BSLT 70.3, no link to the above IM 70.3 Lubbock page. Not sure how to tell if it's still independent or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the bottom of the Ironman Lubbock page, guessing it is still independent.

• Ironman 70.3 Lubbock is owned and operated by BSLT Triathlon Inc., a Texas non-profit corporation, recognized by the Internal Revenue Service with 501 (c) (3) recognition.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, so maybe they'll have bronze windmills instead of the buffalos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin': Many thanks for the questions concerning Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3. You are correct after 29 years at Buffalo Springs Lake we have created a partnership with the City of Lubbock and we are moving the swim to the Dunbar Lake(Canyon Lakes), located within the city of Lubbock. While the bike course may not look as tough it still has 4 of the prime hills. But then you are rewarded with an entirely flat run and unique stadium finish in the Fearless Red Raider football stadium on the beautiful Texas Tech campus. So you will still get to ride the two infamous hills in the Horseshoe Bend Canyons. There has always been other challenges to this event that we can't control that are always there, i.e. wind, temperature, semi-arrid climate, and elevation(3250'). So, thank you again for coming back and we promise you the same customer care we have always offered. Our goal is to take care of you as an athlete so that you only have to be concerned about racing.

Mike Greer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [fasttwitchmind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sorry Mike but this change is a big fat thumbs down from me. What made Buffalo Springs special to me was how challenging it was both on the bike AND the run. I wasn’t happy when you took out the Texas Energy Lab from the run (and haven’t been back since - but more so because I haven’t been racing much in the last few years) and definitely won’t be back with this new course.

Hopefully this change was something you were essentially forced into due to permits, local politics, etc. rather than a desire to make the race “easier” and hence get more registrations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To get our run elevation back, can we do a few laps up and down the stadium?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it’s too late, but I have to express my disappointment as well. Last year was my first time doing the Buffalo Springs course. I staggered across the finish line at a pitiful pace. The thought of coming back and besting my previous effort has been somewhat motivating.

On the other hand, I can’t imagine they amount of work that goes into arranging such a triathlon. Thank you for pouring your efforts into putting together a great race in West Texas.
Last edited by: Grimmace1: Jan 8, 19 14:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the likelihood of it being wetsuit legal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if we had already signed up for this race prior to the switch? Are we racing Ironman Lubbock or are we racing Buffalo Springs? I guess I am just confused about what I am doing now on June 30, 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [rustyb04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rustyb04 wrote:
What if we had already signed up for this race prior to the switch? Are we racing Ironman Lubbock or are we racing Buffalo Springs? I guess I am just confused about what I am doing now on June 30, 2019.

There is no Buffalo Springs race anymore so not sure why you’re confused.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [rustyb04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rustyb04 wrote:

You are already registered for the new race. Look out for an email from the organizers

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I’m reading it right it looks like we have multiple locations to manage now:

-T1
-T2
-The village, athlete check in, briefing, etc. are not at T1 nor T2 (they’re 3 miles from T2)
-The slot allocation is at a fourth location?

...sigh...

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m disappointed for the same reasons others have said, but the last two times we’ve raced there, I’ve wondered if it would be the last year due to lack of numbers compared to other 70.3s. I hope this move keeps the race alive. I’ve said the last two years that I wouldn’t go back because of those wide timing straps they use that seem to cut like razors on my achilles, but I think this new course will be the actual reason to make me keep my word. Best of luck to Mike and Marti making this a success!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are working on the windmills now!! We want to be unique like the Buffalo was! Windmills are a big thing around here simply because we have so much wind, why waste it!!

Mike Greer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool deal, I will probably be back to hopefully get one of those!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This new course will be interesting. Having lived in Lubbock before I don't think it will have the "staying power" like the lake did, but it still seems worth doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You haven't been racing, yet you complain.....

I've done the race the last two years and attendance was pretty bad. I personally like hard courses, but the IM brand and market doesn't respond well to them. RD's cant just do what they've been doing hoping for change. Looks like Mike and Marti did the next best thing and went for local support; money and participants are quite important to have a race. I was hoping they would bring back the old, old course for the 30th anniversary, but didn't. With the old course, I would have made an effort to do the race again but the new course doesn't offer much to me. Hopefully the re-branding works and brings more athletes to East Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yep, it's the Internet and I'm allowed to. Plus, I've got tons of experience with BLST and know it and the area very well. It wasn't too hard to predict what would happen. It doesn't take racing the changed course to be unsatisfied with it.

Quote:
Hopefully the re-branding works and brings more athletes to East Texas
Quote:

If so then they are clearly in the wrong place.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Seuss wrote:

I've done the race the last two years and attendance was pretty bad. I personally like hard courses, but the IM brand and market doesn't respond well to them. RD's cant just do what they've been doing hoping for change. Looks like Mike and Marti did the next best thing and went for local support; money and participants are quite important to have a race. I was hoping they would bring back the old, old course for the 30th anniversary, but didn't. With the old course, I would have made an effort to do the race again but the new course doesn't offer much to me. Hopefully the re-branding works and brings more athletes to East Texas.

I did the race the last 8 years in a row. I see a lot of discussion that says the last 2 years were disasters. I agree 2018 was miserably hard, the hardest day I've had out there. What I am wondering is why people are complaining about 2017? It was hot, but didn't seem like a very hard day and I wasn't in great shape at all. 2017 had nothing on 2011 heat-wise!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [altissimotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2017 and agree, I thought that was about the best weather you could get in Lubbock at the end of June. Was the high even 90?

The Saturday before it was like 110 and I was seriously questioning my life decisions.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2011 the high was around 110 or so. I crossed the finish line around noon and it was 102 at that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I'll see you in June!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply

Prev Next