Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I Need A Coach
Quote | Reply
Been doing Tri since 2016.
Completed my first Sprint Tri before I even owned a bike. Been hooked ever since.
Spent 2016 saddled with a bunch of injuries, all running related.
Got a coach and a power meter in 2017 and saw big gains.
Completed a bunch of Olys and Halfs in 16,17 & 18 and IMMT2018.
I really couldn't afford the coach so we parted ways after IMMT, although I am extremely grateful for all his help in getting me across that finish line.

Now I'm signed up for IMLP 2019 as well a SOS in Sept and I need help.

Unfortunately I cannot afford $275/month that my coach was charging. Maybe more like $100.

I have a power meter as mentioned so I'd really like someone who is fluent in power training, not just HR.

Bike is definitely my strength, I have been in and out of a Masters Swim program that I plan to continue starting Feb. as well as an OW swim group in the spring/summer. Running is my weak point.

I am an easy client- put in the workouts and Ill do them. I don't need an hour on the phone every week but I just want it customized for me (and how I'm progressing or fatiguing) every few days or week.

Every once in a while I may want to go on some ride with the guys (usually Sunday) and just need the coming days to be customized to that.

So- anyone here that can help me or guide me in the right direction?
Quote Reply
Re: I Need A Coach [coralsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hit up forum member Mike Plumb (http://tripower.org/). Awesome guy, awesome coach, great prices.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: I Need A Coach [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe make the challenge about being as good as you can be without a coach.

No point going down a road you can't afford for the sake of a sport. Like me and 99.99% of everybody involved, you're not going to make any money out of it.

Something quite liberating and rewarding about doing it yourself, trouble is, it's the fashionable thing to have a coach these days.
Quote Reply
Re: I Need A Coach [Triheaven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triheaven wrote:

No point going down a road you can't afford for the sake of a sport. Like me and 99.99% of everybody involved, you're not going to make any money out of it.

Something quite liberating and rewarding about doing it yourself, trouble is, it's the fashionable thing to have a coach these days.

Having done both...there is good things about coaching. While I did my fastest IM self coached, I KQ'd with a coach and that was a big part of it. Doing the plan without thinking, thinking and overthinking was actually extremely liberating. Going back to self coaching right now and doing some coaching myself, I find it easier now to not hold myself to my own plan than with my old coach. So, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other in relation to coaches based upon many things, mostly individual!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I coach you, for 60us a month.
Full Online, and one call o wasapp a week to see your progress and your doubts.

Add my number to whatsapp.
+569 42445953
Quote Reply
Re: I Need A Coach [Triheaven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triheaven wrote:

Is that really a 'trouble'? Some want coaches, some want to go alone. Neither is 'right'.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is your opportunity. Take some of that $100 & buy "Racing & Training with a Power Meter" then another book that lays out a decent template, "Going Long"--and get an online free account from Training Peaks (which everyone seems to know about or Fast Trak (I'm not paid to promote either of these cats but have used them both). The second one is sorta hard to find on the internet I think without proper spelling so I linked it (and usually have to Google it because I can't remember the spelling, as the name of the site/domain changed at least once from what I recall)...either way, they both work for what you need.

Plot out your races, figure out how many hours you have to commit to your training per week. Figure out WHEN you can train because you may only get in swims in the AM and if you're not able to make it on time, you'll be hurting for pool time. Plan out average hours of sleep.

When you have all that, work backwards so you have a few weeks to taper. You'll want your biggest weeks to be 3-4 weeks out from the big A race. Read up on periodization & look at any past data you kept. Between the two books above, some reading, this could be a real learning experience for you, fun and save some $$. In the end, you will learn how to balance it all...work, training, racing, whatever else you toss in there. There is always a learning curve with or without a coach.

But yes, a coach should be able to help narrow it all quicker for you. BUT you will learn a lifetime of information & possibly enough to have someone pay YOU $100 a month to do what you are asking for. If that doesn't sound appealing, there are free 16 or 20 week plans out there and you can modify one to fit your schedule & race. Those are the cheapest ways out of this I think. But above all, LISTEN to your body. One thing I tell less experienced athletes is "KNOW THYSELF" and be consistent.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Jan 7, 19 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Hit up forum member Mike Plumb (http://tripower.org/). Awesome guy, awesome coach, great prices.

That's what I was going to say too
Quote Reply
Re: I Need A Coach [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See a few reccomend mike and husband rates are around half ofmany coaches - is there something he does different for that price offset?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Triheaven wrote:

Is that really a 'trouble'? Some want coaches, some want to go alone. Neither is 'right'.

Well, I'd like a coach, but I can't afford it either. So for me at least, there is a right and a wrong way of going about it. The thought of spending money on coaching that comes at the expense of basic things in life, to me at least, is wrong.

I appreciate that some will see it different though!
Quote Reply
Re: I Need A Coach [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was with him 4 years ago so things might have changed a little bit.

There was a short questionnaire on the website you fill out, nothing major, just for him to get a feel for what you are capable of and want to do.
I discussed though email what my race plans were. He scheduled the plans around my race schedule making sure to give me enough training but not too much.

A weekly plan was delivered through email just before the start of each week. If there was an unexpected change to my schedule I'd let me know and he'd accommodate me.

Not much more to it than that, he had encouragement but not hand-holding. I did well with that.
Quote Reply
Re: I Need A Coach [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies and PMs.
Trying to get in touch with Mike.
Seems his websites having issues so I emailed him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:

Send him a message here on the forum.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:

Scratch that. Nothing wrong with his website. I had missed a field on the form. All submitted now.
Last edited by: coralsnake: Jan 9, 19 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: I Need A Coach [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone, thanks for the props Jaret and Colin. I'll look for you in Texas Colin as I'll probably be out there watching the race and will be great to see you in action again.

Interesting question about what I do different to where my rates are what they are. I don't know what if anything I do different then other coaches as there are so many out there and everyone has their own "system". One thing I have noticed in talking to other coaches is that I feel like I am extremely efficient with my work. I treat it like a 9 - 5 job. I get up at 5am to get my workouts in then work a full day in the home office.
One thing I have noticed in coaching are that there are basically two types of coaches. There is one type that writes the training plan, sends it to you and just assumes that you are doing everything, rinse and repeat each week. The second group (which includes me) writes the training plan and sends it to you but also monitors everything you do, power, splits, pace etc and takes that into account with each schedule going forward.
A lot of how I coach is also derived from the experiences I have had with other coaches and athletes. 25 years ago when I had my first triathlon coach when I was teaching full time I used to tell her that I had a staff meeting every Thursday after school therefore only had about an hour for training that day. But every week I would get my schedule and the same thing, a 3 hour training day. It was up to me to move things around and make it work. So one of the things I took from that experience was to always pay attention to what an athlete can and can't do on any given day and work within that. Pretty simple but am amazed at how many coaches don't do that. It's a "here's my system, make it work for you".
Over the years I have found with pricing and how I have set myself up that I have basically inflation proofed myself. Back ~10 years ago when the economy took its big down turn it had little effect on my business. For a lot of people, when money got tight, the first thing to go was the $300 a month coach. Not so much with the $100 a month coach, people were willing to hold onto that a bit longer. I also find that with my pricing athletes tend to stay on board longer which is better for both of us as really good results and improvement don't happen overnight.
To me I have a dream job. I spend most of my day in front of the computer looking at workout results, studying power files, writing training plans and answering training questions (and taking a peek at ST once in a while). I feel lucky that being involved in this sport for 35 years has given me such a wealth of knowledge and that I get to share it with others and actually make a living doing it. I'll never be rich but I'll always be happy.
Feel free to send me any questions, always happy to answer.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply