Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano Chain Pin Question
Quote | Reply
Sorry for super dumb question - can I use the Shimano Chain Pin from an "11 Speed Chain" on a "10 Speed Chain"? - I'm guessing the answer is "yes", but wanted to be sure.

Thank you.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Chain Pin Question [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google fu seems to suggest it will "work" but that they aren't the same width so maybe best to avoid if possible.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Chain Pin Question [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Of course - it's the WIDTH that is key and I'm sure the difference is fraction of mm, but critical to making sure it's safe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I busted a 6 day old (not shimano) 11 speed chain on my way to work this morning, so chains are on my mind. different pin is not a chance I would take today. I believe that the inner width of 10 and 11 is the same, but the outer (plate) width is the difference. If that's true then 11 pin on 10 speed chain seems dicey since the pin would be shorter.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Chain Pin Question [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Andy.

Agreed.

I hope you are OK after your chain broke.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried this very thing but by accident...it won't work because the 11 speed pin is just short enough that the link will bind and not travel smoothly through the cassette and derailleur.

rich
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Chain Pin Question [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have obviously never snapped a chain while riding your bike. I highly recommend just buying a new pin, it isn’t worth a mistake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Chain Pin Question [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were traveling. Was not sure I could make it to a bike shop to get a pin or a new chain. Turns out I did have time. Just had a new chain installed.

Reason for all this - had to shorten my chain as I changed cranks and have gone compact! :-)

Quote Reply