Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
So, are they going to announce a new triathlon specific car?

Prius V, bitch!

From Green Car Reports: 2019 Toyota Prius V to shift from wagon to SUV design, but will it have AWD?
The RAV4 as well is due for replacement shortly, and like the new Prius V, it will switch to the Toyota New Generation Architecture that underpins the 2016 Prius, the 2017 C-HR, and the 2018 Camry, with more models to come.
Whether an all-wheel-drive Prius V would sit alongside the RAV4 Hybrid or supplant it in Toyota's U.S. lineup remains unclear.
The RAV4 Hybrid outsells the Prius V by a substantial margin. Through September, 36,352 hybrid RAV4s had been sold against just 7,647 Prius Vs.
That would seem to indicate an appetite among buyers for crossover utilities with better fuel economy than their conventional counterparts.
We'll bring you more news on the 2019 Toyota Prius V when we have it.
Quote Reply
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And I'd rather have a bit more ability to deal with rough roads which we do sometimes get here in Texas around race venues (especially trail runs).

I haven't encountered a dirt/rough road in Texas that my 2006 Element hasn't been able to handle when traveling to races. It was headed to Bandera (now moved to Camp Eagle) this weekend but some last minute family stuff came up and I had to back out of helping to crew a friend in the 100k.
Quote Reply
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me, this is an indication that Toyota is making a push to be the official vehicle of the US Olympic Team for the 2020 Olympics. By gaining status with governing bodies, they have a stronger position to leverage with the US Olympic Committee that they might as well name Toyota, they're already sponsoring XX# of the sports governing bodies.

I think this is less about Toyota trying to get in good with triathletes, and more about a long-term marketing campaign where they become the official vehicle for the US Olympic Team and receive priority advertising time slots in the telecast, placement online, placement on clothing, etc. I know this forum is focused on triathlon, but let's be realistic: Toyota doesn't give a rip about appealing specifically to such a niche market, regardless of the average net worth of the participants.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the biggest impact might be that Toyota is such a major A-brand. Which will improve the profile to outsiders. Hopefully resulting in
"Hey look Toyota is sponsoring triathlon. Apparently that sport is important enough! Let's give it a try".
I really think being associated with a brand like that can attract new people to the sport. Which would possibly way more valuable than anything else Toyota brings in.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The demise of ISIS must be hurting Hilux and Landcruiser sales.
Quote Reply
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I've certainly had my differences with USAT policy in the past, I don't think you can say, given the re-investment into programs for 2019, that they're not trying to grow the sport. They're in a much different place than they were, say, 10 years ago, where it felt clear that all USAT cared about was the Olympic development program versus the bread and butter AG population.

Ryan,

I'm the same. I have been SUPER impressed with what USAT has done since Rocky Harris took over. It's like a switch was thrown and the organization shifted into over-drive!

Right now the sport does have some challenges, and USAT is facing these head-on, and coming up with solutions. It's hard to see, but triathlon is in a bit of a transitional state right now, and USAT is moving along with that.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a CR-V and a Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen with AWD. Both of these we will drive into the ground. But we manage to get three adults, a child seat, two bikes, and all the gear associated with that into the CR-V. We'll eventually get a hitch rack for it just to free up some space inside, but it can be done!

My feeling is the defining feature for Best Vehicle for a triathlete, a cyclist or perhaps even a runner, is that it has to be a Hatch Back of some kind.

Sedans just seem like they really limit accessibility and flexibility.

Last edited by: Fleck: Jan 4, 19 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying to both posts back my way--

First, I don't think it's hard to see the transition under way. And I share Dan's optimism with regard to new growth. That being said, I do think that we continue to burn some folks out of the sport, too -- whether that's through too many long course events, or not enough event diversity. Stuff like SwimRun, or gravel tri, it doesn't tend to inject new people in -- but it does keep people around longer. Which is really all we can ask. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do this year for races. I have a terrible batting average to even start an IM, let alone finish it. But the way my IMFL ended this past year also has its own problems.

Secondly -- honestly I liked our 2006 CR-V more than the one we have now. That sucker could really hold everything. We got both cars as "last year closeouts" in January/February of their respective model years, which immediately put a ton of cash on the hood of them. The only thing we need now is a set of studded snows for the VW -- the low-profile tire craze does not help when it comes to winter!

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss my VW TDI wagon every.....single.....day. My volvo V60 just doesn't have as much junk in the trunk. Nor does it avg 44mpg at 88mph avg speed over a 6hr drive, nor can it go 6hrs between fill ups at 88mph avg speed.

On the other hand I bought it for 29 and after all is said and done I got 27500 back from VW and the other various payors of claims, which wasn't a bad cost of ownership imo.

I struggle with keeping the Volvo or saying F it and trading it in for a Frieghtliner P2 although that's sort of tough to justify, sort of.

Forerunners tend to last a long time and hold their resale value on the used market. My neighbor has a forerunner with 250k on it and you'd never know it by looks or how it drives.

But a Freightliner P2.....must stay strong....must....off to check classfieds...NO...must re..s..i.s..t

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This past February my CR-V gave up the ghost (was going to be about $2000 to repair a completely rusted through coolant line plus a gasket). We narrowed things down pretty quickly -- nobody had a Honda Civic Sport hatch on the lot, the Mazda3 hatches were all marked up, and Subaru we hated the CVT. So we had an option of an Alltrack, the Sportwagen with 4Motion and DSG, or a GTI, all within $1000 of one another.

Wound up with the Sportwagen -- it's plenty quick enough, we like the AWD, and I hate the whole "add cladding and raise it an 1.5" and add $2500 to the price, thanks" of the Alltrack. Showed up at 10 AM on Saturday morning and was all done by 1 PM. Great experience.

On long trips I do miss the easy power and ridiculously comfortable seats of the F450 from the Rev3 days...but I wouldn't want to live with it every day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Replying to both posts back my way--

First, I don't think it's hard to see the transition under way. And I share Dan's optimism with regard to new growth. That being said, I do think that we continue to burn some folks out of the sport, too -- whether that's through too many long course events, or not enough event diversity. Stuff like SwimRun, or gravel tri, it doesn't tend to inject new people in -- but it does keep people around longer. Which is really all we can ask. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do this year for races. I have a terrible batting average to even start an IM, let alone finish it. But the way my IMFL ended this past year also has its own problems.

I'm curious how your IMFL ended since I was at the race too. Did you go for a swim down the finisher's chute or did you beat the deluge? Meanwhile, I'm many years into the sport and far from burnt out on long course. I have two 70.3s and two Ironman lined up as well as a half dozen short course triathlons. Good luck in whatever you choose!
Quote Reply
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My race was rudely ended by a run-in with a 2017 Honda CR-V.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks!! I hope you are better now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was pretty lucky with just some bumps and bruises. Currently batting 1-for-4 at these damn things.

Quote Reply
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait and trade your Volvo for a Polestar 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ow, that's a low average...buy the insurance!! I'm batting 100% (14 out of 14) but that doesn't mean they have all gone smoothly. I'm not very bright and started one with pneumonia (that hurt) and another with two stress fractures. I had scheduled hernia surgery for 4 days after IMFL - Haines City. The hernia presented last April and was deteriorating all year. By the 2nd loop of the run I could only go about 100-200 yards before having to walk due to the pull on my side. I have number 15 & 16 this year -- fingers crossed that I actually start without an injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DNF Rev3 Cedar Point 2013 -- it's a bad idea to try to race an event you're working.
DNS Rev3 Cedar Point 2014 -- spinal fractures
IMLP 2017 -- hooray, a finish!
IMLP 2018 -- my third incident with a car...

2 for 5 would at least let me feel good...

Quote Reply
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is less about Toyota trying to get in good with triathletes, and more about a long-term marketing campaign where they become the official vehicle for the US Olympic Team and receive priority advertising time slots in the telecast, placement online, placement on clothing, etc. I know this forum is focused on triathlon, but let's be realistic: Toyota doesn't give a rip about appealing specifically to such a niche market, regardless of the average net worth of the participants.

Agreed.

Marketing these days has become omni-channel and very sophisticated. Not sure what creative or activations will come out of this, but I have confidence that from what I've seen of both partners (USAT & Toyota) - there is a good chance of a win/win.

Too many, particularly, in the race/event world in endurance sports (triathlon, running & cycling), are still ONLY selling logo exposure to potential race/event partners/sponsors. I can tell you right now that, almost ALL brands, don't care about this any more (see my first point in the previous paragraph), and the participants (the triathletes), are a sophisticated crowed that are expecting to be marketed to and sold to in a sophisticated manner!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that we're a sophisticated crowd, and I hope that I'm wrong that this is solely a move in anticipation of the 2020 Olympics.

You're right, there are tons of creative ways in which this partnership could be leveraged. Priority parking at USAT National/Regional Championships for Toyota owners, present USAT card at lease or purchase of new/certified preowned Toyota for a free hitch rack, USAT National Champ gets 1-yr lease of Toyota of choice, Official race vehicles, Provide Toyota branded towels/swag at all USAT-sanctioned events...

The possibilities are virtually endless, I'm hoping that some kind of creative thinkers with USAT and Toyota are working together on this.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I miss my VW TDI wagon every.....single.....day. My volvo V60 just doesn't have as much junk in the trunk. Nor does it avg 44mpg at 88mph avg speed over a 6hr drive, nor can it go 6hrs between fill ups at 88mph avg speed.

On the other hand I bought it for 29 and after all is said and done I got 27500 back from VW and the other various payors of claims, which wasn't a bad cost of ownership imo.

I struggle with keeping the Volvo or saying F it and trading it in for a Frieghtliner P2 although that's sort of tough to justify, sort of.

Forerunners tend to last a long time and hold their resale value on the used market. My neighbor has a forerunner with 250k on it and you'd never know it by looks or how it drives.

But a Freightliner P2.....must stay strong....must....off to check classfieds...NO...must re..s..i.s..t

A Freightliner P2... are you sure? That seems a bit overkill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I leased a Rav4 in March when my VW Golf diesel wagon lease came up. It was the easiest, most honest, purchasing experience. Ive driven Ford, Volvo (3), Honda, VW, And now my Rav4.

Why most honest?
- they offered $1100 more for my VW then VW would.
- they communicated by email, text, phone and of course in person...ie: how i wanted to
- they told me the price. Period.
- they were ON TIME for test drive appointments (multiple)

What did VW do?
- refused to give me a price by phone, text or email on a 2018 Tiguan
- would not price end of lease buy out. As in lease is over give us keys whereas Toyota called around and got me $1100 because of low mileage on car
- never on time.
- called me back and left me an disgruntled voicemail when i called and talk to sales rep that i was going Toyota

It is all about experiences. And money of course, and with Toyota i felt valued in both

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
I leased a Rav4 in March when my VW Golf diesel wagon lease came up. It was the easiest, most honest, purchasing experience. Ive driven Ford, Volvo (3), Honda, VW, And now my Rav4.

Why most honest?
- they offered $1100 more for my VW then VW would.
- they communicated by email, text, phone and of course in person...ie: how i wanted to
- they told me the price. Period.
- they were ON TIME for test drive appointments (multiple)

What did VW do?
- refused to give me a price by phone, text or email on a 2018 Tiguan
- would not price end of lease buy out. As in lease is over give us keys whereas Toyota called around and got me $1100 because of low mileage on car
- never on time.
- called me back and left me an disgruntled voicemail when i called and talk to sales rep that i was going Toyota

It is all about experiences. And money of course, and with Toyota i felt valued in both

As a former Toyoto owner (2 vehicles) and on my second VW Jetta and third VW overall, what you say above is in line with my experience on the VW staff. VW Canada sales staff by and large are shit. They are just loser front line sales guys acting like they are superior because of the engineers back in Wolfsburg. For some reason the front line sales staff here in Canada think they are "better" but they did squat to deserve that "better". They are just replaceable sales staff riding on the coat tails of generally slighly better engineering in Germany (and I guess the assembly/manufacturing in Mexico is good too).

On the other hand the Toyota Canada sales staff are "peers" relative to their engineering/HQ peers back in the Aichu prefecture in Japan. They really are top notch.

I'm not sure why I put up with the crap from the VW sales staff but its only once in a while (as in, it's when I replace an old VW with a new one). I tried to convince my wife to replace her Subaru Legacy with a VW eGolf, but the entire sales/front end interface, sent her straight back to the Subaru dealership to get an Impreza.

I'm eyeing the eGolf, but might end up with a Toyota Plug In Hybrid on my next new one.
Quote Reply
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me, this is an indication that Toyota is making a push to be the official vehicle of the US Olympic Team for the 2020 Olympics. By gaining status with governing bodies, they have a stronger position to leverage with the US Olympic Committee that they might as well name Toyota, they're already sponsoring XX# of the sports governing bodies.

Yes - this may be the strategy - https://www.endurancebusiness.com/...g-toward-tokyo-2020/

The Olympic Games themselves when there is that two week orgy of watching sports like, swimming, track & field, even triathlon, by average folks, is where the pay-off beyond that particular sport base can happen for brands that are offcial Olympic Games and National Team Sponsors. That's when again, average folks, may actually watch say, Long Jump, or some other sport for the first time since the LAST Olympic Games!

In between Olympic Games of course, it's back to the main-stream news/sports wilderness for most of those Olympic Sports, that's when as noted, you'll need more creative ways of leveraging the value of the partner ship because, during the wilderness-time, it's ONLY the actual participants of most of those sports are paying attention, and the numbers are quite a bit smaller.

Quote Reply
Re: US Triathlon Secures - A Major Partner/Sponsor! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a former Toyoto owner (2 vehicles)

Same.

Full disclosure, my current drive is a Hyundai Elantra Touring - It's kind of a poor-mans version of the VW or Volvo small-wagon category. Discontinued by Hyundai strangely. I recall reading somewhere that Americans dislike "wagon style" vehicles - hence the discontinuation. Which I don't really understand - it's so practical and flexible. This vehicle sold REALLY well in Canada . . but auto manufacturers don't care what Canadians buy, it's what Americans buy that drives the North American market!

However, on Toyota - I did own a Corolla for close to 10 years previous to this current vehicle. Barely spent any money on repairs other than the usual things that go, like brakes, etc . . Made it Canada to! On the reliability front, Toyota's from that time period scored a 10/10. After early 10 years of driving (I bought it when it was 2 years old so it was 12 in total), with close to 300,000 k's on it, no rust anywhere, and still running great, I sold it for $1500.

On the future - when the Hyundai is done, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Possibly electric, or maybe NO car - just rent when I need one. I don't have a daily commute any more, and I've crunched some numbers and renting when needed, while it sounds odd, would actually save me several thousand dollars a year, vs buying another vehicle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck--

Hyundai still makes what used to be the "Touring," it's now just called the Elantra GT. That said, it's not nearly as wagon-rific as it used to be - it's the smaller i30 that we get now. There's also the Veloster in the Golf/GTI competitive set world.

In the "slightly creepy" ad department, Kelly and I were talking about what we'd do with our cars -- trade in the CR-V for something a little more rugged for our roads (gravel, rutted, pitted) and keep the wagon for long distance stuff. Lo and behold, started getting Toyota 4Runner and Jeep Grand Cherokee ads!

Quote Reply

Prev Next