Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida Panel Recommends Teachers be Armed [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
You say teachers are "arguably the most logical employees" (to be armed), yet then say you're not taking a position. So you have no opinion?

I have plenty of opinions. What I said was, I am not taking a position on what Florida should or should not do. That's for the people of Florida to decide.

What I take issue with is the click-bait headline in the linked news article. It is intellectually dishonest and is intended to elicit a certain response. The posts in the thread clearly evince it worked.

Fair enough, but tbh most of the objections in this thread center on the simple concept of teachers possessing weapons in the classroom. Your semantics don't take away from that, so I find your protestations wanting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

You say teachers are "arguably the most logical employees" (to be armed), yet then say you're not taking a position. So you have no opinion?

I have plenty of opinions. What I said was, I am not taking a position on what Florida should or should not do. That's for the people of Florida to decide.

What I take issue with is the click-bait headline in the linked news article. It is intellectually dishonest and is intended to elicit a certain response. The posts in the thread clearly evince it worked.

To quote a copywriter 'Any copywriter will tell you that the only job of a headline is to get you to read the next line"

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1701273

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
So the conclusion of a panel studying the parkland shooting, that occurred at a school with an armed guard that did not stop the shooting, is to allow even less trained to people to be armed?

You mean the 4 hours of class instruction he received in April of 2016, which involved no physical training exercises or scenario specific role playing?

chaparral wrote:
Also extensive background checks will be required to arm teachers? Umm, what sort of additional background checks are we not already doing for teachers?

Just out of curiosity, did you read the report? Nowhere in the report does it recommend arming teachers.

Chapter 3 addresses the response of the school and school district personnel. The recommended changes in that section refer to such things as keeping doors locked during the school day, granting teachers access to first alert systems, and giving teachers the ability to lock classroom doors from the inside. There is no mention of arming teachers.

Chapter 4 addresses the response of the SRO. There are several criticisms regarding the lack of training he received and his lack of response. There is a call for more funding for the SRO program and more SROs on campus. In that section, on page 104, it mentions expansion of the Florida Guardian Program, which has been in existence for years. Currently, it only applies to administration, but, the suggestion is to expand the existing program:

Guardian Program School districts and charter schools should permit the most expansive use of the Guardian Program under existing law to allow personnel—who volunteer, are properly selected, thoroughly screened and extensively trained—to carry concealed firearms on campuses for self-protection and the protection of other staff and students. School districts and charter schools should not restrict the existing Guardian Program only to dedicated guardians, and all districts should expand the guardian eligibility to other school employees now permitted to be guardians. Further, the Florida legislature should expand the Guardian Program to allow teachers who volunteer—in addition to those now authorized—who are properly selected, thoroughly screened and extensively trained to carry concealed firearms on campuses for selfprotection, and the protection of other staff and students in response to an active assailant incident. The Legislature shoud modify Florida Statute 30.15 (1)(k) to state that upon, a majority vote of the School Board, the sheriff shall establish a Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program to aid in the prevention or abatement of active assailant incidents on school premises.

Here is the report: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/...CommissionReport.pdf

Of course, this is quite a bit different than recommending that "teachers be armed." But, don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant!

Just out of curiosity, did the report address why every other industrialized country has a fraction of the number of kids murdered in school? Haven't they solved the problem already?

I expected an asinine response, but, you outdid yourself here.

If the goal is less murdered children, shouldn't we start with what has proven to work? Or is that in your contention asinine?

So, now you want to outlaw abortion? Really?

No, I want legal abortions. Republicans are the ones that want the most dead babies and most dead school children.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Participation would require 176 hours of training, which could last about five weeks over the 2018 summer break. By law, the training must include:
  • 80 hours of firearms instruction
  • 16 hours of instruction on precision pistol instruction
  • 8 hours of instruction and experience in shooting simulators
  • 8 hours of instruction in active-shooter or assailant scenarios
  • 8 hours of instruction in defensive tactics
  • 12 hours of instruction on legal issues
  • 12 hours of certified, nationally recognized diversity training.

They would also be required to complete 16 hours of annual re-certification training and re-quality on marksmanship annually.

NOTE: Not taking a position one way or another, just responding to your request.

EDIT TO ADD: To date, 1/3 of the school districts in Florida are participating in this program. Currently, the law excludes teachers from eligible employees. But, 1/3 of the school district in Florida have found other school district employees willing to participate and have qualified.
Thanks.

(FWIW, that's about 172 more hours of initial instruction than what the USAF gave to aircrews so that we could carry a handgun on combat sorties. After our initial qualification, we only went to the range for requalification once every 2-3 years. Fired 100 or so rounds at a paper silhouette and we were all set!)

Still, teachers ought to teach school. 176 hours during the summer with an additional 16 hours every year is a lot of time taken from what they ought to be doing with their "spare" time. (If only every teacher spent that amount of time outside the "school day" preparing to "teach".)

"He who defends everything defends nothing." (Frederick the Great)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Panel Recommends Teachers be Armed [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Fair enough, but tbh most of the objections in this thread center on the simple concept of teachers possessing weapons in the classroom. Your semantics don't take away from that, so I find your protestations wanting.

The problem is, the proposal does not involve the simple concept of teachers possessing weapons in the classroom.

Only one other poster has read the report, so, only other other person actually knows the actual recommendation. Not a single poster seems to be aware of the Florida Guardian Program or what it entails. Not a single poster has voiced a single objection regarding a single portion of the Florida Guardian Program. Instead, we are seeing the same old talking points aimed at a proposal that is not as simple as you would like to believe.

The proposal is not that "teachers be armed." It isn't. Period. Hard stop. The proposal is - to consider expanding the existing Florida Guardian Program to be open to eligible teachers.

This isn't "semantics." These are the facts. The facts matter. Unless we have decided critical thinking is dead.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Panel Recommends Teachers be Armed [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

To quote a copywriter 'Any copywriter will tell you that the only job of a headline is to get you to read the next line"

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1701273

Yep. And several posters in this thread took the bait.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Panel Recommends Teachers be Armed [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
So the conclusion of a panel studying the parkland shooting, that occurred at a school with an armed guard that did not stop the shooting, is to allow even less trained to people to be armed?

You mean the 4 hours of class instruction he received in April of 2016, which involved no physical training exercises or scenario specific role playing?

chaparral wrote:
Also extensive background checks will be required to arm teachers? Umm, what sort of additional background checks are we not already doing for teachers?

Just out of curiosity, did you read the report? Nowhere in the report does it recommend arming teachers.

Chapter 3 addresses the response of the school and school district personnel. The recommended changes in that section refer to such things as keeping doors locked during the school day, granting teachers access to first alert systems, and giving teachers the ability to lock classroom doors from the inside. There is no mention of arming teachers.

Chapter 4 addresses the response of the SRO. There are several criticisms regarding the lack of training he received and his lack of response. There is a call for more funding for the SRO program and more SROs on campus. In that section, on page 104, it mentions expansion of the Florida Guardian Program, which has been in existence for years. Currently, it only applies to administration, but, the suggestion is to expand the existing program:

Guardian Program School districts and charter schools should permit the most expansive use of the Guardian Program under existing law to allow personnel—who volunteer, are properly selected, thoroughly screened and extensively trained—to carry concealed firearms on campuses for self-protection and the protection of other staff and students. School districts and charter schools should not restrict the existing Guardian Program only to dedicated guardians, and all districts should expand the guardian eligibility to other school employees now permitted to be guardians. Further, the Florida legislature should expand the Guardian Program to allow teachers who volunteer—in addition to those now authorized—who are properly selected, thoroughly screened and extensively trained to carry concealed firearms on campuses for selfprotection, and the protection of other staff and students in response to an active assailant incident. The Legislature shoud modify Florida Statute 30.15 (1)(k) to state that upon, a majority vote of the School Board, the sheriff shall establish a Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program to aid in the prevention or abatement of active assailant incidents on school premises.

Here is the report: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/...CommissionReport.pdf

Of course, this is quite a bit different than recommending that "teachers be armed." But, don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant!

Just out of curiosity, did the report address why every other industrialized country has a fraction of the number of kids murdered in school? Haven't they solved the problem already?

I expected an asinine response, but, you outdid yourself here.

If the goal is less murdered children, shouldn't we start with what has proven to work? Or is that in your contention asinine?

So, now you want to outlaw abortion? Really?

No, I want legal abortions. Republicans are the ones that want the most dead babies and most dead school children.

So, you don't care about murdered children? Wow. Just, wow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So those teachers would not be carrying handguns in their classrooms? Please clarify to those of us who haven't read the report and dont have time.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Panel Recommends Teachers be Armed [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
JSA wrote:
Participation would require 176 hours of training, which could last about five weeks over the 2018 summer break. By law, the training must include:

They would also be required to complete 16 hours of annual re-certification training and re-quality on marksmanship annually.

NOTE: Not taking a position one way or another, just responding to your request.

EDIT TO ADD: To date, 1/3 of the school districts in Florida are participating in this program. Currently, the law excludes teachers from eligible employees. But, 1/3 of the school district in Florida have found other school district employees willing to participate and have qualified.

Thanks.

(FWIW, that's about 172 more hours of initial instruction than what the USAF gave to aircrews so that we could carry a handgun on combat sorties. After our initial qualification, we only went to the range for requalification once every 2-3 years. Fired 100 or so rounds at a paper silhouette and we were all set!)

Still, teachers ought to teach school. 176 hours during the summer with an additional 16 hours every year is a lot of time taken from what they ought to be doing with their "spare" time. (If only every teacher spent that amount of time outside the "school day" preparing to "teach".)

"He who defends everything defends nothing." (Frederick the Great)

I don't disagree with you that teachers ought to teach. I'm also not certain whether the recommendation here is a good idea or a bad idea. [NOTE: I think all the other recommendations in the report are excellent ideas.] But, my gut says the teachers ought to make that decision for themselves.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida Panel Recommends Teachers be Armed [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
So those teachers would not be carrying handguns in their classrooms? Please clarify to those of us who haven't read the report and dont have time.

It depends. The program has multiple levels of participation. Not everyone in the program walks around armed all day.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida Panel Recommends Teachers be Armed [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:

That's not "the goal" in the US, of course. Certainly, if it was the goal, the course ahead would be much clearer.
More pertinent in the USA is something far more important than a mere goal or objective. There is a requirement, a sine qua non.

The requirement is that almost anyone who wishes to may have almost unlimited access to weaponry with which they can kill many people with speed and ease. That requirement is not to be compromised.

Subject to that requirement, a goal is that the killing of innocent children be minimised. Given that requirement, though, it's not a goal that's going to have much success. Subsidiary goals include finding scapegoats for the killing of children, and creating 'fig-leaf'/pretend measures to (not really) address the consequences - like arming teachers.

I prefer our priorities, that don't elevate access to the ability to kill above the protection of children. We haven't had a school shooting, ever (although 2 people were shot at a University in 2002). The US has had many, will have many more, but 2A rights remain unscathed. Different values, different priorities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

It depends. The program has multiple levels of participation. Not everyone in the program walks around armed all day.

Got it. That's much clearer. Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesus. go home America, you're drunk.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Panel Recommends Teachers be Armed [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I want is one of the politicians who think this is a good idea and in general think having "more armed good guys in place" to explain the protocol for a guest or employee to enter a federal building in which they work. The white house, SCOTUS, federal buildings housing senators/reps, etc.......

How's that go again?

I'll agree to guns in teacher's hands in my school when the politicians, judges, governor, POTUS, SCOTUS, all allow "armed good guys" to enter their areas armed.

That should be good right? Have armed constituents walking your halls looking after you. They are law abiding and well trained gun owners, right? So shouldn't be a problem.

GTFO man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
The report recommends the Legislature approve a measure allowing teachers – who volunteer and undergo extensive background checks and training – to carry concealed guns in schools.

I'd be interested to see what the "extensive training" would involve.

When will the teachers find the time to complete their "extensive" (and one would hope recurring) training? What are the minimum standards that will be required in order to be on campus with a firearm? How will the police distinguish the teacher running around waving his/her handgun from the angry parent looking to confront a teacher? Are these teachers still supposed to lesson plan, 90-day plan, attend workshops, attend staff meetings, grade papers, meet with parents, provide extra help after school, fill out their Domain 1-4 evaluation paperwork, complete their annual reflection, etc. (Not to mention spending time trying to learn more about the subject(s) that they're supposed to be teaching.)

This is a stupid idea.

Teachers are lazy leeches and don't deserve what they have. They have too many breaks and don't work enough now.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
[

Of course, this is quite a bit different than recommending that "teachers be armed."

I don't know how recommending the most expansive use of the "Guardian" law as possible isn't very precisely recommending that teachers be armed.

In the section right above that they assign "Guardians" equivalent status to LEOs in terms of staffing ratios at elementary schools. So an elementary school that wants to be compliant with the recommendation has to either fund a full-time LEO or get a volunteer. That puts considerable pressure on them to get a volunteer.

"There shall be a minimum of at least one law enforcement officer on every middle and high
school campus and a minimum of one law enforcement officer or guardian on every
elementary school campus."

Though I hate to think like a lawyer, I'm curious what the liability protections are for a "guardian." What if a student having mental problem draws a realistic-looking replica or unloaded gun and starts waving it around, and gets gunned down by a "guardian." Or what if the guardian wounds or kills other nearby students? An LEO has broad legal protections, and generally only has to be found to have considered himself or others to be under credible threat to avoid criminal charges, or to have some civil protection. What do guardians get? It'd be a bit scary if they get the full protections of an LEO.

Last edited by: trail: Jan 4, 19 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Panel Recommends Teachers be Armed [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
The report recommends the Legislature approve a measure allowing teachers – who volunteer and undergo extensive background checks and training – to carry concealed guns in schools.

When will the teachers find the time to complete their "extensive" (and one would hope recurring) training? What are the minimum standards that will be required in order to be on campus with a firearm? How will the police distinguish the teacher running around waving his/her handgun from the angry parent looking to confront a teacher? Are these teachers still supposed to lesson plan, 90-day plan, attend workshops, attend staff meetings, grade papers, meet with parents, provide extra help after school, fill out their Domain 1-4 evaluation paperwork, complete their annual reflection, etc. (Not to mention spending time trying to learn more about the subject(s) that they're supposed to be teaching.)

This is a stupid idea.

Teachers are lazy leeches and don't deserve what they have. They have too many breaks and don't work enough now.
I teach at a public high school with 100 other teachers and another dozen or so administrators/counselors. (Add another ~20 custodians/cafeteria workers/secretaries/etc.) There are some (not me) who would gladly carry a handgun/leave one in a desk drawer (and maybe even some who already do this, although this isn't currently permitted and they certainly don't let anyone know).

Courtesy of JSA.....

JSA wrote:

The majority of teachers do a good job teaching and getting ready to teach (but there are a fair number of slackers). The good teachers spend a lot of time outside the 8 hours of time in the classroom during the day. (Building a schedule over the summer, putting together lesson plans, preparing lab exercises, producing handouts, writing tests, attending required AP and other teaching summer training, completing annual training on everything from blood born pathogens to sexual harassment, etc. That's just during the "summer break". During the school year, there are meetings to attend, providing extra help before and after school, contacting and meeting with parents, grading homework after school, and hours spent filling out paperwork for your annual evaluation.)

A teacher who is spending 5 weeks during the summer to get certified and an addition 1-2 hours per month for recertification is going to be challenged to keep up with their teaching job.

Not to mention, who is going to pay for this program? Are teachers going to pay for their own weapons and ammo? Who pays for the people providing the training and for the time at the small arms range? Are teachers going to take time off and require a sub that needs to be paid in order to complete their recertification training?

What's next? Walmart cashiers, church ministers, movie theater ushers, night club bouncers, and bowling alley kitchen staff to get the same training? Because you never know when/where the next shooting will take place.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

This is a stupid idea.

I teach at a public high school with 100 other teachers and another dozen or so administrators/counselors. (Add another ~20 custodians/cafeteria workers/secretaries/etc.) There are some (not me) who would gladly carry a handgun/leave one in a desk drawer (and maybe even some who already do this, although this isn't currently permitted and they certainly don't let anyone know).

Courtesy of JSA.....

JSA wrote:

The majority of teachers do a good job teaching and getting ready to teach (but there are a fair number of slackers). The good teachers spend a lot of time outside the 8 hours of time in the classroom during the day. (Building a schedule over the summer, putting together lesson plans, preparing lab exercises, producing handouts, writing tests, attending required AP and other teaching summer training, completing annual training on everything from blood born pathogens to sexual harassment, etc. That's just during the "summer break". During the school year, there are meetings to attend, providing extra help before and after school, contacting and meeting with parents, grading homework after school, and hours spent filling out paperwork for your annual evaluation.)

A teacher who is spending 5 weeks during the summer to get certified and an addition 1-2 hours per month for recertification is going to be challenged to keep up with their teaching job.

Not to mention, who is going to pay for this program? Are teachers going to pay for their own weapons and ammo? Who pays for the people providing the training and for the time at the small arms range? Are teachers going to take time off and require a sub that needs to be paid in order to complete their recertification training?

What's next? Walmart cashiers, church ministers, movie theater ushers, night club bouncers, and bowling alley kitchen staff to get the same training? Because you never know when/where the next shooting will take place.

Right there with you. My wife is a teacher with a doctorate in Early Childhood education. She’s great at her job and puts in a shit ton of hours each year.

Thank you for the detailed information.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sort of interesting news today. The last sentence makes me think this teacher was not happy.

A fourth-grade teacher was arrested Monday after allegedly bringing a loaded gun and two knives into her classroom at Starkey Elementary School in Seminole, Fla., officials said.

Betty Jo Soto, 49, faces two misdemeanor charges of carrying a concealed weapon after police discovered a Glock 9mm pistol loaded with seven bullets “hidden” in a backpack, according to the arrest report.

Pinellas County Schools Police said they also found a six-inch Karambit fighting knife concealed in Soto’s pants pocket and a two-inch finger push knife in her backpack strap.

Soto had a concealed weapons permit, but the license does not allow someone to bring a weapon onto school property, an official said. The elementary school recently chose not to renew Soto’s teaching contract for the upcoming school year, but the official declined to say when Soto was notified.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/florida-teacher-arrested-after-allegedly-bringing-loaded-gun-into-classroom/ar-AABFX3y?li=BBnbcA1

Quote Reply

Prev Next