Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019
Quote | Reply
Obviously, Lionel and his switch to Canyon is the biggie, and Laura Phillip also on a Canyon this year, but what are the other big bike changes among the pros?

I always liked the ST article about this but I don't know that there has been one for a while.

Any and all insight is nothing but fun! Happy New Year!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Team Timex, so a bunch of good pros needing new bikes...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:

Are they going to ask for the bikes back?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
dfru wrote:

Are they going to ask for the bikes back?

Yes, confirmed from multiple sources that they are required to return all bikes.

Or...more common sensically, there are more pros without contracts to ride Trek.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was Team Timex sponsored by Trek?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

http://www.timexteam.com/about/

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:

Yes, confirmed from multiple sources that they are required to return all bikes.

Or...more common sensically, there are more pros without contracts to ride Trek.

I maybe can see this with the pro's that are on the team but I have a hard time seeing this being true for the AG'ers on the team.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
dfru wrote:

I maybe can see this with the pro's that are on the team but I have a hard time seeing this being true for the AG'ers on the team.

Should have been pink...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Obviously, Lionel and his switch to Canyon is the biggie, and Laura Phillip also on a Canyon this year, but what are the other big bike changes among the pros?

I always liked the ST article about this but I don't know that there has been one for a while.

From what I've seen:
Ironman:
-Jeanni Seymour: Ventum (well she was at least wearing the hat, and she was Timex)
-David McNamee: Back with Cervelo after riding one unsponsored last year
ITU
-Richard Murray: TBD, but he's not with Specialized anymore
Casper Stornes: Giant

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not triathlon but maybe one of the biggest surprises was that Kate Courtney who just became the first American XC Mtn Bike world champ in 17 years is leaving Specialized. She is 23 years old with a long career ahead.

A lot of heads being scratched on that one because she is one of the most marketable people right now on 2 wheels. Not sure why Specialized did not retain her, she is from the bay area.

The rumor is she is going to Scott.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That girl has so much talent it's insane. Just watching her race she... flows. It's like she's part of the trail. Seems like she has a pretty big engine too. I'm surprised Specialized "let" her go. Seems like she would be an athlete they would definitely want to hang on to: young, dominant, and representative of a huge product category. I'm curious to see who ends up sponsoring her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really enjoyed watching her on the Fast Life series on the Redbull channel. I think she's going to be a huge star for whoever signs her (likely Scott). In agreement that I think Specialized will regret letting her go, but it may have been her decision as I'm sure she's going to cash in on her XC championship, and hopefully, upcoming Olympics showing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it's easy to see why Scott snatched her up. They had no-one on the women's XC side of things, and now they'll have 2 rainbow jerseys on the WC circuit this year.

Specialized still has Annika Langvad, who is probably still a little better overall than Courtney (although she is a lot older), and 20 y/o Ida Jansson on the u-23 circuit.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
That girl has so much talent it's insane. Just watching her race she... flows. It's like she's part of the trail. Seems like she has a pretty big engine too. I'm surprised Specialized "let" her go. Seems like she would be an athlete they would definitely want to hang on to: young, dominant, and representative of a huge product category. I'm curious to see who ends up sponsoring her.

I would add that XC Mtn biking was more popular with viewers than Downhill and Enduro on Red Bull TV for the first time ever this year.

The mens racing has been a race for second to Nino for the last 6+ years, but the womens racing has a number of high quality contenders and has been really awesome to follow over the past year. There are 5-6 women legitimately battling for every place on the podium in each world cup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, and it is fun to watch. Unlike road cycling where it's mostly about the engine and team work, there's lots of different aspects in XC: engine, line choice, technique... very exciting to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
dfru wrote:

From what I've seen:
Ironman:
-Jeanni Seymour: Ventum (well she was at least wearing the hat, and she was Timex)
-David McNamee: Back with Cervelo after riding one unsponsored last year
ITU
-Richard Murray: TBD, but he's not with Specialized anymore
Casper Stornes: Giant

Ventum...I don't know why I have trouble with getting behind that. But they have a nice little stable and Jeannie is a good good athlete.
McNamee...unsponsored, but must love the bike to a) ride unsponsored, and b) not take money from anyone else if it was out there to show cervelo the middle finger for not paying him last year.

Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's easy to see why Scott snatched her up. They had no-one on the women's XC side of things, and now they'll have 2 rainbow jerseys on the WC circuit this year.

Sometimes to the casual viewer, these things don't make sense - after all these are very often business decisions - made in the best interest of both parties.

Yes it would seem odd that Specialized would let her go - she's clearly a rising star in the sport, and MTB is experiencing from what I can tell a bit of a resurgence and Renascence at the moment, but perhaps it's as simple as Scott plunking more money down on the table - who knows?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Angela Naeth on Quintana Roo from Scott. Looks like I Race Like A Girl bikes too - a la Cupcake Cartel

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I though this was because there were more events in XC (with the short track and qualifiers) or something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Sometimes to the casual viewer, these things don't make sense - after all these are very often business decisions - made in the best interest of both parties.

Yes it would seem odd that Specialized would let her go - she's clearly a rising star in the sport, and MTB is experiencing from what I can tell a bit of a resurgence and Renascence at the moment, but perhaps it's as simple as Scott plunking more money down on the table - who knows?

The business irony is that Scott is losing dealers right and left because they have no inventory in the US. Try to get one of their bikes and be prepared to wait 6 months, and their promised dates suddenly move by months. I have 2 Scotts but I had to order them and wait an eternity to get them. I ordered one for my daughter's MTB high school season and after missing the delivery date we cancelled and had to buy a bike from the Great Trek Bike Making Company.
Last edited by: endosch2: Jan 4, 19 15:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben Hoffman isn't with Specialized - should be a good pick up for someone if he's back to healthy.

Also, Bart Aernouts isn't with BMC, so should be interesting for him on a sponsorship side.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the Ben Hoffman post, it looks to me like they dropped him rather than him seeking something else. I'm curious as to who he goes to, he seems like Potts type of guy where he is model spokesperson.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
I saw the Ben Hoffman post, it looks to me like they dropped him rather than him seeking something else. I'm curious as to who he goes to, he seems like Potts type of guy where he is model spokesperson.

Seems like Specialized has moved on from a handful of athletes then including Murray... Weird because they're talented and still at the front end and marketable, but maybe they want to make moves into a younger portfolio of athletes

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:

Where did The Hoff post his words on this?
Would you mind sharing it here? I couldn´t find it.

Thanks a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He didn't, specialized bid him farewell on their Instagram. Meanwhile Hoffman is still riding the bikes as of new years and still has the logos on his kit.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply

Prev Next