Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rouvy Compatibility...
Quote | Reply
Just read the new article on the front page, and seems like a software worth trying, just for a change from TR.

But, when looking at their download page, am I correct in reading that there is no download available for macbooks, and if I want to use and Ipad or Iphone, I have to have a wahoo ANT dongle thing to plug into them??

That kind of sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy Compatibility... [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rouvy works with my Samsung tablet apparently...which is more than Zwift. Haven't purchased either but am leaving towards rouvy because of the multiple users per account.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Just read the new article on the front page, and seems like a software worth trying, just for a change from TR.

But, when looking at their download page, am I correct in reading that there is no download available for macbooks, and if I want to use and Ipad or Iphone, I have to have a wahoo ANT dongle thing to plug into them??

That kind of sucks.

Now you know the pain of Android users trying to use Zwift. :)

I'm assuming your trainer setup doesn't have BLE support. You could always run Parallels or use bootcamp, but they could end up being more expensive than the iPhone ANT+ dongle. Maybe VirtualBox would work, although you'd still need a Windows License. And there is always the ANT+ to BLE bridges, but again, they are about the same price as the dongle. I'm assuming you already have the ANT+ dongle for your Macbook.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using Rouvy with my Hammer for just over 1 month now and using an Ipad mini with no dongle
required. As close to flawless as one can expect living in a small community in the Great "White" north of WI
and poor internet.
Only other issue is creating a course requires a Windows computer (blah)

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of sensors are you using?

If they are ANT+ only, then you will need a dongle for the iPad. If you have Bluetooth (Wahoo sensors, newer Garmin, and others are both ANT+ and Bluetooth), then you can do just the iPad with Bluetooth.

I personally like the simplicity of the iPad/Bluetooth setup. I have been using a Tacx Bushido, Wahoo speed and cadence sensors, a Wahoo TICKR X, and a first generation Power2Max. The P2M is the only bit that is ANT+ only. I pair these up with either a Windows laptop with ANT+, an iPad Mini with Bluetooth, or my ancient Android smartphone with Bluetooth. While I lose the reading from the P2M with the iPad setup, it seems to control the trainer better - I get some lag with the Bushido with the P2M in the mix.

With a dumb trainer, I prefer getting the read from the P2M, so I like to use the Windows laptop in that case.

I don't know if that helps at all.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy Compatibility... [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
What kind of sensors are you using?

If they are ANT+ only, then you will need a dongle for the iPad. If you have Bluetooth (Wahoo sensors, newer Garmin, and others are both ANT+ and Bluetooth), then you can do just the iPad with Bluetooth.

I personally like the simplicity of the iPad/Bluetooth setup. I have been using a Tacx Bushido, Wahoo speed and cadence sensors, a Wahoo TICKR X, and a first generation Power2Max. The P2M is the only bit that is ANT+ only. I pair these up with either a Windows laptop with ANT+, an iPad Mini with Bluetooth, or my ancient Android smartphone with Bluetooth. While I lose the reading from the P2M with the iPad setup, it seems to control the trainer better - I get some lag with the Bushido with the P2M in the mix.

With a dumb trainer, I prefer getting the read from the P2M, so I like to use the Windows laptop in that case.

I don't know if that helps at all.

Thanks, I have a kickr, so bluetooth would be fine.
I think I misread their webpage, and just saw the part about needing a dongle.
Still looks like no OS X version to run on macbook pro?
I guess I need to learn how to mirror my iphone or ipad to my apple tv for a bigger screen!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using Rouvy for 2 years now with my iPad. I use the Wahoo dongle, and all works great. I build my own workouts in Rouvy from my desktop, then see them in the iPad in my Rouvy account. I have run some of the routes and watched the route videos. I have been happy with my Rouvy and iPad and dongle.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy Compatibility... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rouvy also works fine on Samsung Galaxy S8, as does Zwift btw (currently in beta). Everything seems to work fine except for a known calibration spin down error on Zwift and certain trainers (mine is CycleOps Hammer).
Last edited by: tripolar: Jan 2, 19 22:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi SBRcanuck!

You -can- run Rouvy's Windows app on a Mac, inside a VirtualBox machine with Windows 10 installed on that. I'm doing it now, just finished about 30 miles of riding today (Germany and Denmark).

Downloading Windows 10 doesn't cost anything. Installing it doesn't cost anything. Customizing it and registering it can be done for $30 or less. I found this to be a very cost effective way of using it. You can try out Windows 10 in VirtualBox... and register it later. (I honestly don't think they --require-- you to register it ever... though I could be wrong on that...)

Note:
  • In VirtualBox, you may have to create a USB/Bluetooth filter to allow the Windows 10 virtual machine to use the Bluetooth components while you do a ride. Thats what I had to do. It is just a few button/checkbox clicks. Not hard.
  • In VirtualBox, I found it best to set memory (RAM) to about 2GB (instead of 1GB), and to allow it to use 2 CPUs (instead of 1) for better performance.
  • Also, when setting up your VB Windows 10 machine, be sure to give it ample room for the videos that you'll want to download. Streaming the videos from the server works 'ok' but it is better to download them first, giving a better video experience.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The short answer is: no, Rouvy doesn't have an app for Mac OS X, period.

Running a Windows VM on a Mac is PITA for the most part, and it's probably not worth it if you have no need for Windows for anything else.

Rouvy on iOS works just fine but only if your power is coming from Bluetooth BLE; so ifyour power source is ANT+ only, then the whole dongle thing is another PITA.

In another word, if you only have a Mac and your power is only ANT+, you are kind of SOL insofar Rouvy is concerned.

PS: I was in the same boat this weekend when my Cycleops Hammer decided not to turn on. My only power source is my Quarq ELSA (ANT+ only) and I only have a MacBook. So I can't ride my regular Rouvy, ended up Zwifting instead (with a ANT+ dongle to the Macbook).

So, Cycleops, if you are reading this, please make a Mac OS X version of Rouvy. If your software development team is any good at this, it should not be a big deal. In this day and age, no one should develop software so tied to a specific OS and/or video graphic system to the point that the app is not easily portable to another OS.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy Compatibility... [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
The short answer is: no, Rouvy doesn't have an app for Mac OS X, period.
So, Cycleops, if you are reading this, please make a Mac OS X version of Rouvy. .

I totally agree with you on the need for them to have a Mac compatible software version, but just as a FYI, Rouvy is not a part of or owned by Cycleops, for a few years Cycleops was licensing it from them in the US and branding it as Virtual Trainer but they are no longer doing that, Rouvy is a stand alone company that is based in the Czech Republic

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy Compatibility... [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, Can we get a MacOs app for this? Was going to try it today and compare my experience with Zwift...but NOPE.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully someone from Rouvy is reading this board, I am waiting for the Mac version as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying the relationship between Rouvy and Cycleops. I wonder how much influence Cycleops has on Rouvy... if they want to sell more Hammer, some decent and unique apps that's "desgined" for it would be nice. Wahoo has done a good job of marketing itself as the go-to trainer for Zwift, even though I don't think there is any real relationship between Wahoo and Zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Double thanks for that explanation. I also thought Rouvy was owned by Cyclops since it was originally the Cyclops Virtual Training app. I didn't know it was previously licensed but a Czech company probably explains why most of the premium routes are in Europe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I tweeted them, took a couple days but they said late 19/early 20...like that's a lifetime guys, it should have been rolled out late '18...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah for sure it would make sense for Cycleops to have somewhat of a "training eco system", since you gotta believe that Wahoo is eating their lunch, and now with Garmin/Tacx they really need something to stay in the game.

Of course taking a few days to respond to a tweet does not exactly instill much confidence though, maybe the answer is for Cycleops to buy them outright and bring it in house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was specifically talking Rouvy and not CycleOps unless I'm missing something. Rouvy is no longer affiliated with CycleOps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah.
I was responding to both your post and Dalava's post so sorry if it came across a bit confusing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I was specifically talking Rouvy and not CycleOps unless I'm missing something. Rouvy is no longer affiliated with CycleOps.

Actually that's a gray area. They were never the same company, but they certainly relied on each other for many years to help sell each other's wares. Even now the Magnus comes with a manual that encourages you to use Rouvy.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply