Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition
Quote | Reply
goodness it's Monday again.
Happy NYE, everyone.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week: run like a person trying to get faster, swim a bunch... trying to get to 12k points on the Big Kahuna Challenge.

done and kinda done. Did not hit 12k points on the BK challenge. Apparently I'm not as obsessive-compulsive as I was in college. This is actually probably a good thing.

I am most proud of: cutting my Sunday run short because it just wasn't going well (tummy issues boo) and doing the long run this morning instead. Also, lifting some weights.

M: 6.45 mi run (1 @ 8:00 + 2.1 @ 7:53)
T: 7.3 mi run easy
W: 3.6 mi run + 1825 yd swim
T: 3.7 mi run + 825 yd swim
F: 4.3 mi run + 1375 5d swim
S: 3.6 mi run + 2325 yd swim
S: 9.8 mi run

totals 6350 yd swim, 38.75 mi run

goals for this week: run like a person trying to get faster, swim a bunch, LIFT THE HEAVY METAL THINGS

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year, Everyone! I'm grateful that I've been welcomed into this community and am constantly inspired to reach new goals.

Last week was miserable. I came down with a bad cold late Monday night, and am still suffering. I shuffled around my week and managed to get it all done, in one fashion or another.

Other things that happened...

I managed to go from not wanting to live on January 1st due to a serious and undiagnosed hormone imbalance to having my highest volume year ever https://2018.strava.com/...168e6ae207f91ab1e292

I also managed to be recognized by USAT for a top member moment of 2018. I'm the second story :) . https://www.teamusa.org/...0FTZJVdc1bxJCgga_FWs

Anyways, coming down from all of that, I'm in my last week of build for this block for IMTX. Here's my week:

M- 2000yd swim, 7mi run, strength (DONE and OMG I NEED TO REST)
Tu- REST, THANK THE STARS
W- 70min Zwift, 20min run brick
Th- 2500 yd swim, 50min run with intervals, strength
F- 50min Zwift, 4mi run
Sa- prehab and 16mi run
Su- 50mi bike

Here's to an amazing 2019, Ladies. Let's crush it <3

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow Dr_Cupcake; that's a pretty amazing turnaround over the year! Nice work!

Dr TC - yay for lifting heavy metal things! I always feel better when I do it but have to admit that it's also the first thing to fall by the wayside.

My goals for last week were: swim x 2, trainer x 3, run x 2, XC ski x ?.
I landed up with 1 x swim, 1 x run, 3 x trainer, 2 x XC ski and also a random strength and stairs workout at the fire hall.

This week's goals:
swim x 3 (one done), trainer x 2, run x 2, xc ski x 2.

My year in review is here: https://2018.strava.com/...45fd5fba7ab73dc88e43
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read Deadspin, a sports blog, and there’s a write that always has a weekly post that includes “songs that make you want to run through a brick wall”. Your desire of lifting heavy metal things reminded me of that playlist :)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dr TC - yay for lifting heavy metal things! I always feel better when I do it but have to admit that it's also the first thing to fall by the wayside.

Same. I'm trying to be better about it because it's so important for strong bones.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a routine you follow? I tend to just cobble together what I feel like from all the stuff I learnt at PT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
LIFT THE HEAVY METAL THINGS
Hahaha, I like this.

I actually need some advice about lifting heavy. I think the weighted squats and lunges I did last week aggravated my knee with the chondral fissure. (It is feeling better by now, thank goodness, but I was pretty bummed I couldn't run on Sunday when we had relatively nice weather.) What squat-and-lunge-type exercises do you do that are still challenging without heavy weight? I thought of wall sits, maybe lunge holds (is that a thing?), but would love any actual examples from you ladies.

As far as a lifting routine I try to rotate a few favorite videos and barre class as well as my routine of pullups, bicep curls, deadlifts, etc. on the weekends. As I get older I need to continue to make weight training a priority, I know.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year y'all!

Nice job on the mental and the metal, Dr. Tigerchik.

Thanks for sharing your story, Dr_Cupcake -- nice work!

I liked watching your video Scheherazade, I joined Strava a few weeks ago so my movie was lame but I made some pretty charts in Excel.

I have been strength routine that's a mix of mobility and stability plus functional movements (press, pull, hinge, squat, carry) that I do twice a week and I do p/rehab almost every days along with pull-ups. it's a little shoulder/hip specific since that's where I'm weakest but I'm happy to share it. PM me.

After a glorious few weeks without structure, I'm returning to training (and, alas, to work travel) and have 4 swim, 5 bikes, and 3 runs on the docket.

Happy training to all.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bulgarian split squats. I don't need weights to make my glutes fire up doing those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I'm doing lunges, I make sure that they are well-rounded. Meaning, I lunge forward, laterally, and backward, each for one set. I can also throw in a lunge to step up and balance, curtsey lunge, lunge with a torso rotational twist, and power skaters (basically lunging side to side, jumping and throwing all your power behind it, plyo-style).

For squats, I like goblet squats done on steps. So, if you can grab two steps or blocks at the gym, and place one foot on either block while toes turn out wide, I grab a small weight and squat down until I'm as parallel to the ground as I can get with my quads.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do you have a routine you follow? I tend to just cobble together what I feel like from all the stuff I learnt at PT.

I do the same, plus the t-bar row and pull ups. Most of what I do is hip/glute focused.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I actually need some advice about lifting heavy. I think the weighted squats and lunges I did last week aggravated my knee with the chondral fissure. (It is feeling better by now, thank goodness, but I was pretty bummed I couldn't run on Sunday when we had relatively nice weather.) What squat-and-lunge-type exercises do you do that are still challenging without heavy weight? I thought of wall sits, maybe lunge holds (is that a thing?), but would love any actual examples from you ladies.

Body weight squats and one leg squats (pistol squats)
'donkey kick' and fire hydrant hip exercises w/ ankle weights
body weight lunges

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Body weight squats and one leg squats (pistol squats)
'donkey kick' and fire hydrant hip exercises w/ ankle weights
body weight lunges
Thanks for all the ideas, everyone!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply