Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Set up recommendations/ where to look?
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [justhavefun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10 minutes off your total time for every shot consumed? 5 min for every beer?

I think i got a chance.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't even own a gravel bike but I've got a serious woody for this, looks amazing (and already put a reminder in my calendar)

it's a sweet area - I went to grad school in Oregon.
Portland Bridge Swim is another must do event up there.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always emotional when I'm around you brooooooooo!

-Matt Lieto
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure! and sorry for the late reply, and thanks again for the interest! I'm helping on a couple levels with the race but it's being put on by Chad Sperry who's basically put on every rad race in the Northwest in the last 15 years and a bunch of other National events in that period of time.

monty wrote:
Hey Matt, thanks for chiming in here, so I take it this is your race, or you are internally associated with it? So I have some questions, perhaps this thread will be a nice reference for ST'ers once it becomes time to enter.

1. I love the idea of stage races point to point, but will this be family friendly? What I mean is, what if we have the whole crew up there, is there access each night for the family to come say hi, maybe eat dinner with us? Or are the campsites that are set up not accommodating for extra folks?

We are sussing out a way to have integrate "supporters" but our initial focus is the experience for those riders. With events like this in the past supporters can come say hi, but the logistics outside of that are a kind of up to them. We realize this isn't for everyone, but we are hoping some folks will get a hall pass and put themselves outside their comfort zone for this unique experience.

2. Did the race get special rates for any hotels? I love that RV park in sisters, would love to see some of those sites blocked off. This of course is for all the travelers that come from out of town, which I think might be a big part of the field from the looks of this thread.

Yes, we are expecting this to be more of a "travelers" race for sure than for the locals. There are tons of great camping spots in and around Bend and Sisters for before and after the event. Also with the forest service set up basically there are endless spots available on nearby roads, jut need to be off the hook up for a few days.

3. How much of a disadvantage would a MTB be? I mean are the dirt sections mostly roads and unrutted single tracks? Or are they bike breaker sections? I love the idea of the act of thinking about what to ride and where. But since most of us will not see any of the course beforehand, we will have to rely on others who have..

I would say a MTB would not be a terrible call, but likely not the fastest over the week. I will be running a set up with 40's for most stages and maybe a 650 set up on the middle day so I can charge a couple spicey sections. Some of the faster gravel sections might be difficult to keep up with the group on an MTB, but you'd be able to send a couple of sections better than most if you had one.

4. Besides family, what about crew, is that frowned on, or will that be ok to have tag alongs for the entire race?

The crew thing will likely develop as the race goes. My intention is for people to take a step back and remember why we love gravel racing and it's layed back vibe is alot of the reason I love it. Personally I'd think it a little silly and you'd be missing the point and having less fun if you had a personal mechanic traveling with you. There will definitely not be team cars and that sort of thing allowed on course. You've got to be able to source yourself out till the next aid, and we'll have these located in spots where likely necessary.

5. Lastly, are there going to be categories, maybe 40+/50+/60+?? Is this a chip timed event so that everyone whatever course they choose, will get recored each day?? Seems like a lot of confusion could happen with folks jumping courses day to day, at least for the competitive types.

We are likely going to go with an open category and a masters category for 45 plus for men and women. There will be prize money as well, which I think is pretty awesome. As far as the timing goes, once an athlete goes down in the shorter distance they will just be participating, which is kind of the point anyways. Mostly if you want to "compete", pick a race distance you know you'll be able to finish. We are offering the ability to switch just so you don't miss out if you decide you've bitten off more than you can chew!

-Matt Lieto
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be running a rig that will take 40's and 650's as well. I will likely have two wheel set ups, one leaning towards speed with the Schwable G-1 Speed's in a 40, and one with G1 Bites for durability.

There are some STEEP sections, and there are some rutted tough sections. I would lean towards not flatting and having plenty of gears to climb with. If you do that you'll be a happy camper. Literally.

I will of course put up some detailed gear recommendations in the next few months of the website.

Thanks again for the interest!

-Matt Lieto
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [justhavefun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Matt,

I tried using the Contact form on the website, but the loading indicator just keeps spinning when i hit send. I tried in Chrome and Safari. Here was my question. Do you think you could run this through the proper channels for me? Thanks!

Hello,

This event sounds amazing! One of my concerns is that I eat a plant-based diet. Do you know whether or not there would be any options from the catering company?

If not, it sounds like i could easily pack enough food in one of the extra storage bins that we can purchase, but it would be nice to know what to expect ahead of time so that I can know whether or not i need to bring all of that extra food with me.

Thanks for your help! By the way, great job on the website. It's informative, fun, and easy to navigate. Kudos!
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reaching out Rob, stoked on your interest.

The caterer that we use will do vegan options for sure so no need to bring all of your own food.

As these things are though I plan on bringing some stuff for myself as well just so I can always eat on my own accord and get some of my faves when I want them. The caterer does great work, but I am a snacker!

We will have you covered though!

-Matt Lieto
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

2. Did the race get special rates for any hotels? I love that RV park in sisters, would love to see some of those sites blocked off. This of course is for all the travelers that come from out of town, which I think might be a big part of the field from the looks of this thread.

This is the crux of it, for me. I do, however, understand the difficulty given the route.

Coming from out of town, it's hard to fly with camping gear in addition to everything that I'd need for a week of racing.

A similar event, Pisgah stage race, had nearby starts and finishes each day where a central accomodation was feasible.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have beta on the Cascade Gravel Grinder?

Looks like this would be more doable from a travel standpoint.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Early registration is open (you can get 10% off with discount code). Already more than 50 people signed up. Don't miss out. We are having some great weather here in OR right now, got out for about 45 miles in the coast range with about 20 miles of gravel; thinking about being ready for this race will keep you motivated all winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt agreed to wash my bibs and make GF pancakes every morning so I can’t possibly pass that up. See ya’ll in June.
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to do this race, maybe next year when I don't have CdA on the calendar. Looks like a blast!
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XTR, I hear you for sure. Not the easiest of trips to pack for, but we think completely doable. We are expecting over 75% of athletes coming traveling in and our pre registrations have showed about that.

Happy to help with how to pack effectively and all, but yes we do know this isn't a race for everyone. And that's how we want it, it's going to be a supreme challenge and the camping, we feel, adds to the attraction of this type of race.

As you did notice the other 3 day event is more alike Pisgah in that regard. I am very familiar with all the courses and the race and how it will be run.

You have any questions along those lines?

Thanks!

-Matt Lieto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how many people have cowboyed up at this point? The cascades have been getting hammered with snow, hopefully it melts by June. I've been using the snow as an excuse for skiing, but really need to get more saddle time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty have signed up with more to come. Let’s just say they’ll be several hundreds of tracks in the snow for you to follow...

The snowpack is real, and we’re gonna need some melt for sure which will start soon, but we also have logistics in place to take care of the roads to make them race ready!
In Reply To:

-Matt Lieto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FATBIKE STAGE RACE!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justhavefun wrote:
Let’s just say they’ll be several hundreds of tracks in the snow for you to follow...

This will definitely be the case at Cascade Crest this weekend, but I am hoping to turn the tables come bike season;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first shots were fired this weekend at the Cascade Gravel Grinder, 3 days Omnium. Two stages had big grinder options. A few thoughts.

1. I don't know how many people who raced this weekend are doing Oregon Trail, but there was some serious competition. I thought I was in very good shape and got steamrolled pretty hard in the Saturday Big Grinder. When they warned to watch out for "hostile natives" they really meant all the fast locals from Bend who will beat you;) Also note that Masters is 45+, I'm 44 this year so I don't have to race in the geezer division like I usually do;) In all seriousness, the OA placings were pretty evenly mixed masters and open, so a lot of really good masters athletes.

2. I think they gave kind of sandbag tire recommendations. I only raced Saturday and they recommended 33-35. I raced 38s and wouldn't have gone any smaller, there was a lot of loose gravel, numerous sandy sections and washouts. Likewise, almost everyone I talked to thought 33s would have been difficult. I am a MOPer and was only talking to other MOPers though;) Not saying there was anything wrong with the course, but it was a little more challenging than I expected in terms of surface conditions and having more tire was definitely better.

3. The 5 day race is going to be hard (okay we knew that, but really hard). Took lots of concentration and energy for me to ride within my skill level. I was glad I planned to go skiing today instead of doing back-to-back race days (I'm saving my suitcase of courage for June).

The Saturday big grinder rode a lot slower than I expected, considering the overall elevation gain. On paper most of the stages in the OR trail are quite a bit harder. The Oregon Trail covers a lot of real estate, so I am sure the course surfaces are going to vary, but I would suggest bring some big tires and be ready to grind. This really is a game for the true grinders.

Anyone else race this weekend? What were your thoughts? How are you feeling about the race?
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Apr 28, 19 22:05
Quote Reply

Prev Next